Hangs when loading in fullscreen due to a dialog window.

black-fm

Idea

I have the latest version of Evernote, when I launch it it goes fullscreen and doesn't respond to any actions (no menu, nothing). I saw there's a dialog window behind the main one and managed to bring it in front. It says about a file missing or edited while Evernote was not running. But this dialog does not respond either.

I've tried reinstalling. I've tried the clean-up process described here but it didn't help. Any advice?

10 replies to this idea

I've got a reply from the support

Please try the following:

1. Quit Evernote (force quit if needed)
  2. Quit each other open app
  3. Reboot your computer
  4. Reopen Evernote when your computer starts back up.

Please note that although it might seem tedious, quitting each app is important before the restart because the Mac OS will automatically re-open all open apps after a restart.

It didn't work for me, but maybe it will help you.

Yup, the latest public release from Evernote. I've found some forum post on the same issue (fullscreen + a dialog window) from several years ago, the solution was to clear local Evernote's database. But that exact solution (the folders to delete) doesn't work anymore because the way Evernote stores data has changed since then.

• Level 5*

I've seen fixes that run -

* Download and install freemacsoft.net/appcleaner/ - http://www.freemacsoft.net/appcleaner/
* Open it, and drag Evernote to the window to uninstall all traces of it from your computer.
* Restart your computer

-though you should be aware that this completely removes Evernote and ALL Notes from your Mac. 

If you have any local notebooks, or unsynced notes you must FIRST export them to ENEX files before you procede.  

After reinstall/ syncing the new EN version, you can import these notebooks/ notes back into your EN Mac database.

They've managed to solve my problem. Turned out to be pretty straightforward in the end:

I'd like to have you rebuild your Evernote database to resolve the issue you are experiencing. To rebuild your Evernote for Mac database, follow these steps:

1. Minimize all Applications
  2. Open the Finder and select Go > Go to Folder…
  3. Copy and paste:~/Library/Containers/com.evernote.Evernote/Data/Library/Application Support/Evernote/
    or
    ~/Library/Application Support/Evernote/
    then select Go
  4. Move the “www.evernote.com" folder (this will contain one or more numerical folders that contain all Evernote accounts you've used on your Mac) from the database folder to another location, such as your desktop

Open your desktop application and login to your Evernote account. Evernote will download all of your synced notes from Evernote's servers and create a new database on your computer.

Archived