Encrypted notes text deleted when un-encrypting on Mac

Hi,

I've been using Evernote for a little while now on my Android devices and windows laptop/pc's without any problems. Yesterday I bought a Mac and installed Evernote. But when I un-encrypted a note previously saved on windows/android, the mac version wiped out the text. As this was then synchronised across all my devices I then lost the note details.

Am I doing something wrong or is this a bug? I am using the latest mac version 5.6.1.

Thanks

Simon 

• Level 5*

Hi - limited exposure here - I've used encryption across several versions of Windows and with Android, and not lost any text yet;  and I definitely agree that's not expected behaviour.  I'd suggest checking your note contents via the web version at Evernote.com and uninstalling and reinstalling Evernote if the contents are gone.

https://evernote.com/contact/support/kb/#!/article/24422932 

If the behaviour persists,  try raising a support ticket - you may have to persevere through some discouragement if you're a free user.  Do push through if you can - it sounds like something the devs should be looking into...

• Level 5*

There was another post yesterday about someone inadvertently typing 'over' the encrypted area when trying to type the password.  He replaced the encrypted icon with the text and lost the content.  Sorry - can't find that again to give you a link,  but seems like that might explain a loss of data...maybe.

• 1 month later...

I have the same problem. I have a bunch of encrypted text in my notes, working fine on Windows and Android. But I just installed a fresh Evernote on fresh MacBook (OS X 10.9), and when I decrypt the text it is empty. I was careful not to type anything into the empty space, so I still have the content intact when accessing it from Windows/Android.

I tried to get to it from the Web interface, but the content is empty as well. I opted into Beta of the new Web UI, so I don't know if the old UI still works with old encrypted notes.

I also tried creating a *new* note with encrypted text on the Mac and it worked fine.

So it is not just me then! Like you forloop7, when I create encrypted notes on the Mac it works fine across all devices. It is only the old notes created on Android that when decrypted on the Mac are empty. On the Mac now, I have taken to first, using the web version of Evernote and decrypting the note there, and copying it. Then I open evernote on the Mac and if the decrypted note is empty, I am able to paste it in and encrypt. Once this is done the notes are fine.

• 3 weeks later...
  • 4 weeks later...

I posted this earlier in a similar forum.  I use Evernote Premium.  And, loss of encrypted material on MAC just happened to me too. This is a FUNDAMENTAL FLAW. Had never tried encryption, so tried today - unfortunately I should have done on a very short, immaterial section of test.  

I lost a very long written piece that I wanted to encrypt to keep private.  I encrypted the paragraphs, synced, and closed Evernote.  I then went to web Evernote to check it out. I hovered over the decrypt prompt, it told me my hint, and then, after typing a few characters in what I too thought was the prompt, I had overtyped the entire encrypted message.  It synced immediately, and when I returned to the MAC Version, it was gone.  I poked around in the file, nothing found.  Then I looked at the history.  Unfortunately, it had synced already, and the singular saved historical document was post loss of the encrypted text.  

Evernote, this kind of sloppiness is really inexcusable.  There is evidently no way to get the old message back.  Why not, as MANY of us have asked for, just give us the ability to password protect a NOTEBOOK? And if you have a history function in premium that we pay for, why not allow it to go back 3 or 4 versions?  Of course, now, I know better.

• Level 5*

I posted this earlier in a similar forum.  I use Evernote Premium.  And, loss of encrypted material on MAC just happened to me too. This is a FUNDAMENTAL FLAW. Had never tried encryption, so tried today - unfortunately I should have done on a very short, immaterial section of test.  

I lost a very long written piece that I wanted to encrypt to keep private.  I encrypted the paragraphs, synced, and closed Evernote.  I then went to web Evernote to check it out. I hovered over the decrypt prompt, it told me my hint, and then, after typing a few characters in what I too thought was the prompt, I had overtyped the entire encrypted message.  It synced immediately, and when I returned to the MAC Version, it was gone.  I poked around in the file, nothing found.  Then I looked at the history.  Unfortunately, it had synced already, and the singular saved historical document was post loss of the encrypted text.  

Evernote, this kind of sloppiness is really inexcusable.  There is evidently no way to get the old message back.  Why not, as MANY of us have asked for, just give us the ability to password protect a NOTEBOOK? And if you have a history function in premium that we pay for, why not allow it to go back 3 or 4 versions?  Of course, now, I know better.

OK.  So the first rule of trying something new is:  "keep a backup copy".  This thread is about Mac issues,  not web-related ones.  And password-protecting a notebook has nothing to do with losing encrypted information.  I'm sorry you lost information,  but it's far better - if you're creating a long document - to use a word processor,  save to PDF end encrypt the PDF.  

Note history is available,  provided your note has been in existence for a few hours - Evernote's system takes a snapshot a couple of times a day.

Thanks for the lecture on backing up - I am certainly aware of the value of that.  There is no point in using Evernote for daily journaling and notetaking if I have to use a word processor first. I put this post here because I encrypted it on an iMac, so, to me it naturally it seemed to fit here.  I will try to be more specific in the future and not add frivolous details like being able to protect an entire notebook as an alternative.  

• 2 weeks later...

If you are seeing issues:

1.  What platform (Mac, iOS, Win, etc) did you encrypt on?

2. What version of Evernote for Mac did you try to decrypt with?

Happened to me too on my MacBook after starting the note on a windows version. Mac OS 10.9.5 and Evernote version 6.0.5 (451190 Direct). I was having a bit of trouble recognizing my password then POOF! The body of the note was gone on the Mac, web account and iPhone. Not real happy about that...

• 4 weeks later...

Same here. Encrypted text when opening via mac app shows nothing upon decryption. Using the web app instead shows my text fine.

Well, whatever has happened since my last post I'm now finding that the contents of the note (encrypted) are now not showing on the web version either. I had important information stored there and it's now lost it seems. Anyway I can recover it (the note itself is still there just not the contents)?

This is odd as mine is now working fine.  :D  I've had no problems with this for a couple of weeks now. Not sure what has changed. On my Mac, which was where I was mostly experiencing the problem, I'm on Yosemite 10.10.2, Evernote 6.0.6 (451290 Direct). Hope this helps.

• 3 weeks later...

Having the same problem.  Thankfully, I can get it from Note History.  But a fallback solution is NOT supposed to be a permanent answer.

THe Mac version used to work.  Now it doesn't.  If I have to use Windows to do this, I might as well use OneNote.

Same thing happened to me yesterday. Opened a note previously encrypted in Windows on a Mac. All information got completely erased! That note then synchronized across all devices. That note contained practically the most important information in my life that I entrusted Evernote to keep safe, and now it was gone just like that! Opened a support ticket, no answer from them, as usual. My only salvation was that I had one more Windows computer in another location that was turned off. I had to unplug it from the network, turn it on, back up the note contents, and create several backup notes with this information, and also backed it up to OneNote. Turned Internet on, and what do you think - the just-modified note got replaced again with the erased one! The only thing that saved me was the backup of my info in OneNote. 

Another constant bug in evernote that hasn't been fixed in years is searching in encrypted notes - as soon as I press ctrl+f, note re-encrypts! I created a support ticket for this, and guess what the reply was (reply took over 2 weeks!): 

"Matt W. (Evernote Support)

Jan 05 19:23

Thank you for contacting Evernote support, we always welcome feedback and suggestions! While I cannot make any guarantees that this will be implemented, I can definitely pass this along to our development team as a suggested request!

Please let me know if you have any further questions or suggestions!

Regards,
Matt W."

This is a clear BUG, not a feature request! Not only is Evernote more buggy with each release, but the customer service doesn't care about us! This has been enough, I'm switching to Onenote.

• 3 weeks later...

I just tested this with Evernote Mac 6.0.8 version.  The bug still exists.  If I decrypt an encrypted text block created on Windows, the encrypted text block disappears.  Very, very bad behavior.

• 2 weeks later...

My encrypted text was created on Windows Evernote version 4, I think. 

In any case, I just tested the following:

1) On Evernote 5.85 (latest version) on Windows 7, encrypt a few text.

2) On Evernote 6.0.8 on Mac OS X 10.9.5, decrypt the text and the encrypted text disappears.   I tried both options, show encrypted text and decrypt permanently, and both options result in the encrypted text disappearing.

I never had this issue with Evernote 4 and 5 on Mac OS X.  Only seeing it on Evernote 6.

And the hits just keep on comin'... It's frustrating to see all the effort to attract users and add new features when something as basic as data security and integrity go unresolved. 

What are users using instead of Everlost?

Onenote, of course...now it's free and doesn't have these kinds of bugs...still working on moving my data over. I've suffered for years with evernote not letting me do ctrl+F in encrypted notes, and now this data loss was the last drop...

Yes - OneNote it is for me too. I've been using it at work and had used EverNote for the past couple of years for personal but I rarely use it any more and have migrated anything I want to keep to OneNote.

Onward...

Some more testing:

1. On Evernote Mac 6.0.8, encrypted some text.

2. On Evernote Windows, decrypt the text successfully.  Modified the encrypted text.

3. On Evernote Mac, decrypt the modified text.   The text disappeared.

It looks like Windows Evernote is saving the encrypted text in a format which is incompatible for decrypting on Mac.

• 2 weeks later...

I have this problem with Windows client version 5.8.5.

I have a note with 2 encrypted blocks that I've created a few days ago on Windows client (another computer) running version 5.8.5.

When I double-click on the encryption block, it is simply deleted (without asking for password). Other (older) encrypted blocks seems fine.

Btw if this happens, just hit Ctrl+Z to undo the change.

Edit: it actually asks for decryption password, I must have had it remembered before. And so it deletes the block AFTER typing in the password.

And I have just updated to version 5.8.6 and it still happens.

The same happened to me today after the latest update (6.0.11) on OS X. Thank god for that history feature, otherwise it would have been nasty. Nonetheless, such bugs are scaring the hell out of me and make me wonder if I should use some other software solution...

The restart of the application did help, which is good, I guess, but it certainly doesn't mean that the situation shouldn't be addressed. Encrypted data is, after all, the most essential information I keep in Evernote and when it disappears before my eyes is certainly not appealing.

EDIT: Scratch that. I am losing the encrypted info on decryption once again and now I lost the history as well somehow.

Now I can't get the decrypted info at all, it disappears all the time. The option to "decrypt permanently" just keeps on showing the encrypted text... I can't get access to my essential data at all.

EDIT: After trying to get around this for a while, I decided to create a LastPass account to store all my sensitive notes. I've been using Evernote for a long while, being very happy with it overall until now. I am sad to move at least some of the data that could have been potentially handled by Evernote somewhere else.

Same problem with latest update to Mac version.  Only seems to happen with OLD notes that were encrypted on Windows (maybe mobile, too) The migration is obviously failing for some reason.  I have several notes that I've had to restore from previous versions (defeating the purpose of a synced tool, of course) 

Just happened to me, as well. Unfortunately with some incredibly important data. The loss occurred on my business laptop, which is a Macbook Pro running OSX Yosemite 10.10.3.

Upon going into my iPhone, the data is lossed there, too. I set my Sync option to Manual to avoid losing everything, but not sure if it was caught in time. Will try my PC when I get home.

DB from NC, suggest you disconnect the internet from your home computer (or power off your internet router/modem) before turning on your home PC.  This will prevent the Evernote on your PC from syncing and deleting the encrypted notes.

Unfortunately Evernote doesn't allow making a copy of the note within the same notebook.  The workaround I found was to create another notebook (say, call it Backup) and then right-click on the note with encrypted text, select Copy to Notebook..., select Backup notebook.   You can make as many copies as you want to the Backup notebook, the copies will all be dated so you can tell which one is the latest copy.

Before re-enabling Internet on your home PC, I suggest you do several note copies to a second notebook.   Since I am paranoid, I also decrypted the text and copied it to some text files on my desktop just in case.

I don't trust Evernote with encrypted text any longer.  I looked at OneNote but it seems way too much function for what I need; I use Evernote like an online simple, text-only notebook (like Notepad on Windows or TextEdit on Mac).  So I'm looking at KeePass+Dropbox for storing encrypted text, and continuing to use Evernote for unencrypted text.

One suggestion to Evernote development is to support encryption only on the whole note, or even a notebook, similar to how OneNote does it.   It seems much more simple (easier to code and debug on multi-platforms) and less error-prone (accidentally delete by a misplaced backspace or del keystroke) than Evernote's current encrypted text blocks.  

• 2 weeks later...

Same issue here. Latest OSX (10.10.3) and Evernote  version.

I had to recover info from the note history. CMD-Z works fine but I didn't try first time.

A very serious issue to me that makes lose faith in the product! :-(

When trying to decrypt a note, the debug console shows this error:

* The Activity Log may contain information about your account and notes.
* For example, the titles of some of your notes may be mentioned in this log file.
* When providing log information, feel free to edit the file to remove anything
* you do not want to send us.

Version: Evernote Mac 6.0.11 (451580)
   Locale: en-ES
   WebKit: 600.5.17
  WebCore: 600.5.17
 Username: XXXXXXX
    Email: XXXXXXXXXXX@XXXXX.com
Mac Model: MacBookPro11,3
 CPU Type: Intel
CPU Count: 8
CPU Speed: 2.500000 GHz
      RAM: 16.000000 GB
     Date: 2015-05-14 05:46:58 +0000

2015/05/14 07:45:26:777 E|*** -[ENCommonEditorWebView commonEditorHandleLogging:] main | #4 | ERROR: Exception: Error: SyntaxError: DOM Exception 12 | 0e8c0d98-ac3c-4fdf-9fec-3ea6da79c6c9/p413 'XXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXX'
(
0   Evernote                            0x000000010d35c51f Evernote + 42271
1   CoreFoundation                      0x00007fff99f577bc __invoking___ + 140
2   CoreFoundation                      0x00007fff99f57612 -[NSInvocation invoke] + 290
3   WebCore                             0x00007fff92458bba _ZN3JSC8Bindings12ObjcInstance16invokeObjcMethodEPNS_9ExecStateEPNS0_10ObjcMethodE + 1082
4   WebCore                             0x00007fff9245872f _ZN3JSC8Bindings12ObjcInstance12invokeMethodEPNS_9ExecStateEPNS_13RuntimeMethodE + 191
5   WebCore                             0x00007fff925a6bc2 _ZN3JSCL17callRuntimeMethodEPNS_9ExecStateE + 274
6   JavaScriptCore                      0x00007fff92f1a3d4 _ZN3JSC5LLInt9setUpCallEPNS_9ExecStateEPNS_11InstructionENS_22CodeSpecializationKindENS_7JSValueEPNS_17LLIntCallLinkInfoE + 452
7   JavaScriptCore                      0x00007fff932daf97 llint_entry + 22753
8   JavaScriptCore                      0x00007fff932d5491 callToJavaScript + 311
9   JavaScriptCore                      0x00007fff932595e3 _ZN3JSC7JITCode7executeEPNS_2VMEPNS_14ProtoCallFrameE + 35
10  JavaScriptCore                      0x00007fff92f1d0be _ZN3JSC11Interpreter11executeCallEPNS_9ExecStateEPNS_8JSObjectENS_8CallTypeERKNS_8CallDataENS_7JSValueERKNS_7ArgListE + 462
11  JavaScriptCore                      0x00007fff92f1cede _ZN3JSC4callEPNS_9ExecStateENS_7JSValueENS_8CallTypeERKNS_8CallDataES2_RKNS_7ArgListE + 62
12  JavaScriptCore                      0x00007fff9306bbfa _ZN3JSC17boundFunctionCallEPNS_9ExecStateE + 586
13  ???                                 0x0000566ca3e01114 0x0 + 95024605827348
14  JavaScriptCore                      0x00007fff932dafa2 llint_entry + 22764
15  ???                                 0x0000566ca3e01b1a 0x0 + 95024605829914
16  JavaScriptCore                      0x00007fff932dafa2 llint_entry + 22764
17  JavaScriptCore                      0x00007fff932d5491 callToJavaScript + 311
18  JavaScriptCore                      0x00007fff932595e3 _ZN3JSC7JITCode7executeEPNS_2VMEPNS_14ProtoCallFrameE + 35
19  JavaScriptCore                      0x00007fff92f1d0be _ZN3JSC11Interpreter11executeCallEPNS_9ExecStateEPNS_8JSObjectENS_8CallTypeERKNS_8CallDataENS_7JSValueERKNS_7ArgListE + 462
20  JavaScriptCore                      0x00007fff92f1cede _ZN3JSC4callEPNS_9ExecStateENS_7JSValueENS_8CallTypeERKNS_8CallDataES2_RKNS_7ArgListE + 62
21  JavaScriptCore                      0x00007fff9306bbfa _ZN3JSC17boundFunctionCallEPNS_9ExecStateE + 586
22  ???                                 0x0000566ca3e01114 0x0 + 95024605827348
23  JavaScriptCore                      0x00007fff932dafa2 llint_entry + 22764
24  JavaScriptCore                      0x00007fff932dafa2 llint_entry + 22764
25  JavaScriptCore                      0x00007fff932dafa2 llint_entry + 22764
26  ???                                 0x0000566ca3e01b1a 0x0 + 95024605829914
27  JavaScriptCore                      0x00007fff932dafa2 llint_entry + 22764
28  JavaScriptCore                      0x00007fff932dafa2 llint_entry + 22764
29  JavaScriptCore                      0x00007fff932dafa2 llint_entry + 22764
30  JavaScriptCore                      0x00007fff932dafa2 llint_entry + 22764
31  JavaScriptCore                      0x00007fff932dafa2 llint_entry + 22764
32  JavaScriptCore                      0x00007fff932dafa2 llint_entry + 22764
33  ???                                 0x0000566ca3e01b1a 0x0 + 95024605829914
34  JavaScriptCore                      0x00007fff932d5491 callToJavaScript + 311
35  JavaScriptCore                      0x00007fff932595e3 _ZN3JSC7JITCode7executeEPNS_2VMEPNS_14ProtoCallFrameE + 35
36  JavaScriptCore                      0x00007fff92f1d0be _ZN3JSC11Interpreter11executeCallEPNS_9ExecStateEPNS_8JSObjectENS_8CallTypeERKNS_8CallDataENS_7JSValueERKNS_7ArgListE + 462
37  JavaScriptCore                      0x00007fff930f2b9f _ZN3JSC4callEPNS_9ExecStateENS_7JSValueENS_8CallTypeERKNS_8CallDataES2_RKNS_7ArgListEPS2_ + 63
38  WebCore                             0x00007fff92238b10 _ZN7WebCore21JSMainThreadExecState4callEPN3JSC9ExecStateENS1_7JSValueENS1_8CallTypeERKNS1_8CallDataES4_RKNS1_7ArgListEPS4_ + 96
39  WebCore                             0x00007fff9277980c -[WebScriptObject callWebScriptMethod:withArguments:] + 812
40  Evernote                            0x000000010d35d2a7 Evernote + 45735
41  Evernote                            0x000000010d35db78 Evernote + 47992
42  Evernote                            0x000000010d35786a Evernote + 22634
43  libsystem_trace.dylib               0x00007fff91797cd7 _os_activity_initiate + 75
44  AppKit                              0x00007fff8e9d1fb1 -[NSApplication sendAction:to:from:] + 452
45  AppKit                              0x00007fff8e9d1d4e -[NSMenuItem _corePerformAction] + 382
46  AppKit                              0x00007fff8e9d1a7c -[NSCarbonMenuImpl performActionWithHighlightingForItemAtIndex:] + 114
47  libsystem_trace.dylib               0x00007fff91797cd7 _os_activity_initiate + 75
48  AppKit                              0x00007fff8ea98c10 -[NSMenu performActionForItemAtIndex:] + 131
49  AppKit                              0x00007fff8ea98b76 -[NSMenu _internalPerformActionForItemAtIndex:] + 35
50  AppKit                              0x00007fff8ea989c2 -[NSCarbonMenuImpl _carbonCommandProcessEvent:handlerCallRef:] + 107
51  AppKit                              0x00007fff8e9b9e6b NSSLMMenuEventHandler + 724
52  HIToolbox                           0x00007fff90e42b6c _ZL23DispatchEventToHandlersP14EventTargetRecP14OpaqueEventRefP14HandlerCallRec + 1260
53  HIToolbox                           0x00007fff90e41fae _ZL30SendEventToEventTargetInternalP14OpaqueEventRefP20OpaqueEventTargetRefP14HandlerCallRec + 386
54  HIToolbox                           0x00007fff90e57cb6 SendEventToEventTarget + 40
55  HIToolbox                           0x00007fff90e91f45 _ZL18SendHICommandEventjPK9HICommandjjhPKvP20OpaqueEventTargetRefS5_PP14OpaqueEventRef + 428
56  HIToolbox                           0x00007fff90ecfb8d SendMenuCommandWithContextAndModifiers + 59
57  HIToolbox                           0x00007fff90ecfb30 SendMenuItemSelectedEvent + 188
58  HIToolbox                           0x00007fff90ecfa09 _ZL19FinishMenuSelectionP13SelectionDataP10MenuResultS2_ + 96
59  HIToolbox                           0x00007fff90eabcc1 _ZL19PopUpMenuSelectCoreP8MenuData5PointdS1_tjPK4RecttjS4_S4_PK14__CFDictionaryPK10__CFStringPP13OpaqueMenuRefPt + 1877
60  HIToolbox                           0x00007fff90eaad74 _ZL26_HandlePopUpMenuSelection8P13OpaqueMenuRefP14OpaqueEventRefj5PointtjPK4RecttS6_S6_PK14__CFDictionaryPK10__CFStringPS0_Pt + 633
61  HIToolbox                           0x00007fff90eaa93b _HandlePopUpMenuSelectionWithDictionary + 287
62  AppKit                              0x00007fff8ea8e82d _NSSLMPopUpCarbonMenu3 + 5810
63  AppKit                              0x00007fff8ebce348 -[NSCarbonMenuImpl _popUpContextMenu:withEvent:forView:withFont:] + 200
64  AppKit                              0x00007fff8ebce186 -[NSMenu _popUpContextMenu:withEvent:forView:withFont:] + 197
65  HiddenCryptoPlugIn                  0x000000011ae5446d HiddenCryptoPlugIn + 9325
66  WebCore                             0x00007fff91c6b910 _ZN7WebCore12EventHandler26passMouseDownEventToWidgetEPNS_6WidgetE + 464
67  WebCore                             0x00007fff91c6b72a _ZN7WebCore12EventHandler32passWidgetMouseDownEventToWidgetERKNS_28MouseEventWithHitTestResultsE + 90
68  WebCore                             0x00007fff91b42bdd _ZN7WebCore12EventHandler21handleMousePressEventERKNS_28MouseEventWithHitTestResultsE + 413
69  WebCore                             0x00007fff91b41c92 _ZN7WebCore12EventHandler21handleMousePressEventERKNS_18PlatformMouseEventE + 2530
70  WebCore                             0x00007fff91ec7c69 _ZN7WebCore12EventHandler9mouseDownEP7NSEvent + 281
71  WebKitLegacy                        0x00007fff9806a219 -[WebHTMLView mouseDown:] + 521
72  AppKit                              0x00007fff8ef4adcd -[NSWindow _reallySendEvent:isDelayedEvent:] + 510
73  AppKit                              0x00007fff8f078293 _NSGestureRecognizerUpdate + 2548
74  CoreFoundation                      0x00007fff99f9c127 __CFRUNLOOP_IS_CALLING_OUT_TO_AN_OBSERVER_CALLBACK_FUNCTION__ + 23
75  CoreFoundation                      0x00007fff99f9c080 __CFRunLoopDoObservers + 368
76  CoreFoundation                      0x00007fff99f8e2ba __CFRunLoopRun + 1178
77  CoreFoundation                      0x00007fff99f8dbd8 CFRunLoopRunSpecific + 296
78  HIToolbox                           0x00007fff90e6c56f RunCurrentEventLoopInMode + 235
79  HIToolbox                           0x00007fff90e6c2ea ReceiveNextEventCommon + 431
80  HIToolbox                           0x00007fff90e6c12b _BlockUntilNextEventMatchingListInModeWithFilter + 71
81  AppKit                              0x00007fff8e80e9bb _DPSNextEvent + 978
82  AppKit                              0x00007fff8e80df68 -[NSApplication nextEventMatchingMask:untilDate:inMode:dequeue:] + 346
83  AppKit                              0x00007fff8e803bf3 -[NSApplication run] + 594
84  AppKit                              0x00007fff8e780354 NSApplicationMain + 1832
85  Evernote                            0x000000010d3545b4 Evernote + 9652
)

Hi, just select Note -> Note History, and Recover the version you need.

DB from NC, suggest you disconnect the internet from your home computer (or power off your internet router/modem) before turning on your home PC.  This will prevent the Evernote on your PC from syncing and deleting the encrypted notes.

Unfortunately Evernote doesn't allow making a copy of the note within the same notebook.  The workaround I found was to create another notebook (say, call it Backup) and then right-click on the note with encrypted text, select Copy to Notebook..., select Backup notebook.   You can make as many copies as you want to the Backup notebook, the copies will all be dated so you can tell which one is the latest copy.

Before re-enabling Internet on your home PC, I suggest you do several note copies to a second notebook.   Since I am paranoid, I also decrypted the text and copied it to some text files on my desktop just in case.

I don't trust Evernote with encrypted text any longer.  I looked at OneNote but it seems way too much function for what I need; I use Evernote like an online simple, text-only notebook (like Notepad on Windows or TextEdit on Mac).  So I'm looking at KeePass+Dropbox for storing encrypted text, and continuing to use Evernote for unencrypted text.

One suggestion to Evernote development is to support encryption only on the whole note, or even a notebook, similar to how OneNote does it.   It seems much more simple (easier to code and debug on multi-platforms) and less error-prone (accidentally delete by a misplaced backspace or del keystroke) than Evernote's current encrypted text blocks.  

• 2 weeks later...

It happened again to me this afternoon, but this time I knew the exact sequence of events. Basically I created a note on my Windows 7 pc, synced it, then went on the mac and tried to un-encrypt it. My encrypted file contents were blank and lost! I repeated the above to make sure it was consistent and I got the same results.

So, I thought I would repeat the test again and create a word doc capturing screen shots, showing exactly what happened. I also captured shots of the versions installed on my pc and mac. Everything was going well until I came to capture the mac version. It said I needed an update, so I installed the update. Now when I un-encrypted the file on the Mac, the contents were now present!

I repeated this again, creating another note with a different name etc, and I can report it is now working correctly for me. Was it the new version installed on the Mac? I think it must be. So, if you are experiencing similar problems make sure your versions of Evernote are fully up to date.   

Hope this helps!

• 1 month later...

I'm getting this problem too!

I'm using Evernote 6.0.15. Text encrypted in Windows won't show up on the Mac. I could see the contents in the Web interface and on my iPhone, thank goodness, so no contents were lost.

Oh and I wanted to add that I got around the problem by copying the unencrypted text, pasting it into the note and encrypting it again. The entire note except for the title was encrypted. The original note was 1.5KB in size but the updated note with the exact same contents is now 5.1KB.

This is still an issue.

I've been using Evernote (premium) on Windows and Android for years. Today I installed Evernote on a new Mac and as I opened and decrypted one of my encrypted notes all contents disappeared. Luckily I had Evernote open on my Windows PC so I was able to back up the content to a new note before it syncronized, but this bug should really have high priority at the Evernote dev team.

It's really easy to reproduce:

- Create a note on a Windows PC and encrypt it

- Decrypt the same note on a Mac. All contents in the note is now gone.

This is a long-standing Evernote issue. It absolutely amazes me that Evernote has not fixed this. Here we have a company in the business of storing user information for later retrieval. Yet, I cannot retrieve my information! Do you think this is a high-priority issue, Phil Libin? The kind of issue that destroys companies? I just don't get it.

I used to be a paying customer but not any more. Evernote, please stop adding new features and platforms. Focus on making the current software work.

BrainsLink, this should be fixed. What version are you running?

I guarantee its not. I managed to recover what I could by logging back in on my Windows machine; disconnecting from the network and copy to clipboard. Once I connected to network, it synced and lost the note specifically the encrypted part. Luckily it was still in my clipboard.

I also have the issue whereby encrypted notes created on Evernote for Windows can't be decrypted and viewed on Evernote for Mac. However they can be decrypted and viewed on Evernote for iOS. Running the latest versions of all clients; 5.8.13.8152 for Windows, 6.0.16 for Mac (direct). Luckily, unlike other users, I haven't had the Mac client wipe the contents of the note and sync, instead it just shows a blank note.

• 2 weeks later...
  • 2 weeks later...
  • 3 weeks later...

I'm having same issue on Mac Version 6.0.16 (451862 App Store) -- just adding my info in case it helps someone debug this.

I have a file containing encrypted text that I routinely update from different clients (Mac, Windows, and iOS).

Just recently I discovered the text was missing when I decrypted on Mac. Once I calmed down from my initial panic, I accessed the file from iPhone, saw the text was still there, and copied for safekeeping.

I'm still on OS X 10.9.5.

With the update to Evernote 6.1, I can no longer access my encrypted notes.

When I click on "Show Encrypted Text", I enter my password as normal, but then I get a slightly ghosted screen and the note does not open.

This happened after I did the latest update on my iMac.

I then checked my MacBook, with Evernote 6.0 and I was able to access encrypted notes. I updated my MacBook to Evernote 6.1 and now the encrypted notes do not open.

OS 10.10.5 on MacBook Pro

OS 10.10.5 on iMac 27"

post-268320-0-81885200-1441418789_thumb.

Thanks for letting us know that some of you are still experiencing this issue even after updating to Version 6.1. We believe this is related to encrypted notes that have been edited on the Windows desktop app. We are investigating but could use more examples.

If you are still having an issue with encrypted content on your Mac app, please submit a support ticket (see my signature) and include the following:

1. Confirm if any encrypted notes with this issue have been edited on a Windows machine
  2. Provide the specific behavior you are seeing when attempting to decrypt the note on your Mac (a screencast would be helpful).
  3. Describe the encrypted content, esp. any special formatting (checkboxes, bullets, inserted lines, etc.).

If you post your ticket number here we will do our best to expedite your case. 

Thanks in advance for your help with this!

With the update to Evernote 6.1, I can no longer access my encrypted notes.

When I click on "Show Encrypted Text", I enter my password as normal, but then I get a slightly ghosted screen and the note does not open.

This happened after I did the latest update on my iMac.

I then checked my MacBook, with Evernote 6.0 and I was able to access encrypted notes. I updated my MacBook to Evernote 6.1 and now the encrypted notes do not open.

OS 10.10.5 on MacBook Pro

OS 10.10.5 on iMac 27"

This is the exact same problem I had. Evernote is taking care of it. 

Btw, do your encrypted notes has checkboxes in them? Or maybe any other special objects other than text?

This is the last email I received from Evernote

Thank you for your patience.

I am working with my product team to further investigate and determine what the next steps are. It may take some time to test, reproduce and then respond, so I appreciate your continued patience and understanding.

If they do determine that this is a change that needs to be made they will schedule it and work on it by prioritization with other scheduled work.

Feel free to reach out to me if you have any further questions or would like an update.

Thank you for being a valued Evernote user.

Dave Z.

Hello kgg,

Thank you. I will submit a support ticket.

- But I can confirm that NONE of my notes were edited on a Windows platform. I only have Evernote installed on an iMac, MacBook, iPad and iPhone. I can still access encrypted notes on mobile devices, iPad and iPhone.

- There are no special characters or formatting in my encrypted notes, only text. No checkboxes, rules, etc.

- There is a screenshot attached to my previous post here in this thread.

• 6 months later...
  • 1 year later...

Hi, I am planning on migrating all of my notes over to evernote from the ios/mac notes app, but I would like to know if this issue has been fixed before I encrypt all of my important notes. I don't see anywhere on this page where it says the issue has been solved. Can someone please update me? Thanks.

19 hours ago, Jack Ross said:

Hi, I am planning on migrating all of my notes over to evernote from the ios/mac notes app, but I would like to know if this issue has been fixed before I encrypt all of my important notes. I don't see anywhere on this page where it says the issue has been solved. Can someone please update me? Thanks.

Hi @Jack Ross,

The issue originally reported in this thread was related to encrypted notes that were edited on the Windows desktop app. We are no longer receiving reports of this issue. Likewise, it doesn't sound like you are in a situation that would be affected by the root cause.

Archived