Create an EN Note from Locked Screen with Siri?

Is there a way to create an EN note using Siri while the iOS device is locked? The key to this is being as handsfree as possible since I need this while driving.

I used to be able to hold the home button to activate Siri, then say "send an email to myself." I'd choose my EN address, dictate the subject and message, and I'd have the note sitting in my designated notebook.

Then something changed with the iOS and I'm unable to do that now; Siri asks me to unlock my screen, which I'd like to avoid while driving.

I have an iPhone 5, therefore no touch ID/fingerprint feature.

Does anyone know of another way to do this? Thanks!

• Level 5*

I'm not sure if this is an iPhone 5 vs 6+ thing, but it works fine on my iPhone 6+.

One option is that you can turn off the auto-lock while you are driving, so your iPhone is always opened/unlocked.

Having said that, PLEASE consider not interacting with your phone while driving.  Talking to your phone is still a complicated process, and often Siri gets confused and asks you unexpected questions.  Talking is just a small step less bad than texting.

Consider this:  How bad would you feel if you had an accident while talking, and killed someone?

Is the note really that urgent?

If you really must take notes while driving, it might be better to use a digital audio recorder that is voice activated, or uses a one-button push.

I'm not sure if this is an iPhone 5 vs 6+ thing, but it works fine on my iPhone 6+.

One option is that you can turn off the auto-lock while you are driving, so your iPhone is always opened/unlocked.

It's a good idea, but I get my work email on my phone, so turning off auto-lock probably won't work.

You mentioned this isn't an issue for your iPhone 6+, is the phone reading your fingerprint to unlock?

If not, perhaps I'm experiencing a glitch since I used to be able to do this, and now can't. I assumed it was a security update.

Archived