Evernote for Mac 5.6.1 starts to roll out to all users

SoftwareMarcus

Idea

We're taking the beta label off of version 5.6.1 and calling it a release.  Here are the changes made in v5.6.1.

• Removed repeated offline alerts
  • In list view, the relevance column can now be hidden from search results
  • Resolved an issue that caused note conflicts when sharing new notes
  • Squashed bugs related to migration from the Mac App Store version
  • Added a dialog telling users that their data is going to be migrated, indexed and that it may take some time to complete.
  • Fixed the top 5.6 stability issues.

Here's the download link: http://bit.ly/1yiAfO2.

If you're still using 5.5, click here to see all the great things in 5.6.   My favorite new feature is the ability to resize tables.  

Thanks to all of our beta testers for helping us test this release.

35 replies to this idea

Stable for me but there is one minor annoyance. Attached documents such as PDFs have a habit to randomly switching back to inline view i.e. giving you the full preview of the document. I prefer to see it as an attachment but it appears to switch to inline view sometimes. I have changed the behaviour in the preferences & that seems to have helped somewhat.

Thanks

• Level 5*

AppleScript find notes command is still broken: it does not search in a notebook anymore. Every search result returned is always from all notes.

This is not good. I (and many others I think) depend daily on the use of AppleScript with Evernote.

I will not update to Ver 5.6 (or any version) until it is working properly with AppleScript.

Two bugs in 5.6.1:

- When I use the Web Clipper, it captures only a picture of the dock at the bottom of the screen, regardless of where the crosshairs have been placed.  This was an old bug that you fixed several releases ago relating to having two displays.  It seems to have returned.

- When the desktop is changed to "dark" mode (System Preferences/General/Appearance: Use dark menu bar and Dock) all the text and icons in the menu bar are supposed to turn white as the bar itself becomes dark gray.  Your icon isn't changing, and so it's nearly invisible. (FWIW, the Dropbox icon is changing, so this function is available to 3rd parties.)  Note we're talking about the black icon at the top of the screen; the green one in the dock is fine.

AppleScript find notes command is still broken: it does not search in a notebook anymore. Every search result returned is always from all notes.

This is not good. I (and many others I think) depend daily on the use of AppleScript with Evernote.

I will not update to Ver 5.6 (or any version) until it is working properly with AppleScript.

I had to downgrade… In years of using a Mac/PC this is possibly the first time I had to do that with an application.

Hey jack, seems like iWork inline preview is broken (at least on my mac) Whenever I attach an iWork document to a note... Evernote automatically compresses it into a Zip File =/ being unable to preview whatever the file is.

This just happens with new notes. Old notes with iWork files on them preview just fine.

I think this is an issue with the new style of iWork documents, not a change with how Evernote handles them.  Try moving an iWork file that you know previews in an old note into a new note.  If it still previews you know it is due to a change with iWork, not Evernote.  A second thing is to check the version of the iWork app that the preview-able file was made in.

You're absolutely right. the new version of iWork files is the problem.

However I hope this gets ironed. My office relies on inline previews, and since we just upgraded to evernote business we will even more...

- When the desktop is changed to "dark" mode (System Preferences/General/Appearance: Use dark menu bar and Dock) all the text and icons in the menu bar are supposed to turn white as the bar itself becomes dark gray.  Your icon isn't changing, and so it's nearly invisible. (FWIW, the Dropbox icon is changing, so this function is available to 3rd parties.)  Note we're talking about the black icon at the top of the screen; the green one in the dock is fine.

We haven't updated the app for Yosemite yet so this won't change until we update the look and feel to Yosemite.

I was prompted to update to Evernote 5.6.1, so I did. 

Big mistake! Now my links to files in my computer hardisk are all dead!!!!

I have hundreds of notes with such links, anything from pdfs, ppts, docs and other types of files. 

A very convenient feature, indispensable for my workflow, has now disappeared. 

Why?  :( 

The links are of the format file:///Users/Myname/Folder/File.ext

They used to work flawlessly. They no longer do. 

Please advice asap!!! Thanks!

• Level 5*

Now my links to files in my computer hardisk are all dead!!!!

I have hundreds of notes with such links, anything from pdfs, ppts, docs and other types of files. 

A very convenient feature, indispensable for my workflow, has now disappeared. 

Why?  :( 

The links are of the format file:///Users/Myname/Folder/File.ext

They used to work flawlessly. They no longer do. 

Please advice asap!!! Thanks!

Evernote REMOVED this very important and useful feature in EN Mac 5.6 Beta 10.  

Many have complained.

@Jackolicious and @SoftwareMarcus:  Please restore the file link feature.

Two issues: 

1.  When I drag and drop emails (from MAC MAIL) into my notes, I get a LINK rather than the mail icon (as I have prior the upgrade).  Here's a sample: message:%3C2014439074.1300594111413227504887.JavaMail.app@rbg51.atlis1%3E

2.  Highlighting:  When I bold/italicize text, I get a mysterious yellow highlight thrown in... odd?

I'm guessing there are still some bugs to work out in 5.6.1

Two issues: 

1.  When I drag and drop emails (from MAC MAIL) into my notes, I get a LINK rather than the mail icon (as I have prior the upgrade).  Here's a sample: message:%3C2014439074.1300594111413227504887.JavaMail.app@rbg51.atlis1%3E

2.  Highlighting:  When I bold/italicize text, I get a mysterious yellow highlight thrown in... odd?

I'm guessing there are still some bugs to work out in 5.6.1

In relation to item two, if your holding down cmd (on Mac) whilst highlighting text it will do exactly that, highlight.  Try highlighting the text without holding cmd and then once highlighted do your thing.. cmd + b or cmd + i

I decided to give it a try, but it still seems crash-y on 10.7.5 (crashed on the second note I tried to move). Hopefully a fix will be in 5.6.2. It's a pain going back and forth between versions. I don't mind waiting for a fix, but I do wish there could be more specificity in the release notes about which bugs have been eliminated. 

I decided to give it a try, but it still seems crash-y on 10.7.5 (crashed on the second note I tried to move). Hopefully a fix will be in 5.6.2. It's a pain going back and forth between versions. I don't mind waiting for a fix, but I do wish there could be more specificity in the release notes about which bugs have been eliminated. 

I'm sorry you had a bad experience.  Were you able to upload the crash log?  I wasn't able to find a log that was similar to your forum name.  I did find 1 person who crashed on 10/10 using 10.7 so that may have been you.  Next time you crash please make sure to include your information so we can find it and look at the issue.  

The number of crash logs we've received for version 5.6.1 is still very low so I don't think there's a lot of people having issues (at least as of now).  Of course there aren't a lot of people using 5.6.1 yet so it might increase.  I do know we have more issues on Mac OS 10.7 Lion than the newer versions.  I'm sure there are reasons why you haven't upgraded but if you could I would highly recommend it.  We don't have very many people using Lion so the reality is the bulk of our testing occurs on the newer OSs.

I'm sorry you had a bad experience.  Were you able to upload the crash log?  I wasn't able to find a log that was similar to your forum name.  I did find 1 person who crashed on 10/10 using 10.7 so that may have been you.  Next time you crash please make sure to include your information so we can find it and look at the issue.  

The number of crash logs we've received for version 5.6.1 is still very low so I don't think there's a lot of people having issues (at least as of now).  Of course there aren't a lot of people using 5.6.1 yet so it might increase.  I do know we have more issues on Mac OS 10.7 Lion than the newer versions.  I'm sure there are reasons why you haven't upgraded but if you could I would highly recommend it.  We don't have very many people using Lion so the reality is the bulk of our testing occurs on the newer OSs.

I think I uninstalled right after the crash this time around, but there should be lots of crash logs for the 5.6 betas and 5.6 itself. I would upgrade to a newer version of MacOS, but some of the white Macbooks (including mine, unfortunately) support nothing newer than 10.7. 

Seems to be running fine for me.

The Applescript bug resulting from 'append html' has not yet been fixed (see older thread here).

I may report the bug for 5.6.1, but when I did so for 5.6 I was told that the Support Team doesn't support AS and to come here. So here I am.

How should scripting - developer bugs be reported? I've written dozens of Applescript, perl, bash scripts to enhance and data mine my Evernote (when you're running past 12,000 notes, I figure I need some automated help...), so should I join the developer community? And would that give me the "magicks ring" to allow me to declare a bug in the developer domain?

Just curious as to how to report a bug in the code and know that someone is going to track it.

Cheers.

Two problem's that were reported in the Beta forum and still exist in my opinion.

1. Notebooks with Tables in them.  The Presentation Mode and Web Mode are terrible, actually un-useable in my opinion.
  2. Annotations on a Mac.  When you annotate an image (expanded card view) and then exit to save annotation, the note is locked out, you have to exit and re-enter to get the cursor back.  I think this has something to do with the background sync and in the Beta it was resolved and then re-introduced in a new update and hence it is still an issue in general release 5.6.1

Links to the Note that shows the above issues https://www.evernote.com/l/AVvjikX4WXpNpac4x1JE_7bHx3zWArsY5Hg

Minor irritation with tagging notes that occurs in Yosemite; not Mavericks.  I have punctuation in my tags, e.g. hyphens, which is problematic.  I preface tags with "H-" for personal, "W-" for work etc.  If I start tagging a note with "H" and then type the "-" Evernote auto completes the tag from the first alphabetical tag that fits.  It needs to be less eager to help and let me type more of the tag before auto completing because it is in fact hindering me.  After the auto complete which was wrong I have to delete the incorrect part and retype the correct tag following the "-".

Unfortunately, this update (5.6.1) broke my nested tags on my Mac. All my tags seem to be nested appropriately in the tag section; however, all association was lost with the actual notes. So where I had every note tagged by at least one tag, now not a single note has a tag associated with it. Not cool!

The web experience seems to be the same as well.  Curiously enough, the tags are still showing appropriately on the Windows Evernote version (unfortunately, this is my work computer).

Are you guys not supporting nested tags anymore? I certainly hope that's not the case.  :mellow:

• Level 5*

@Marcus or @Jack:  Does Ver 5.6 provide the same feature as Ver 5.5.2 to display the Evernote User's Account folder link ("Open Database folder") on the Evernote > About Evernote screen?

I hope so, because this will help many, many people.

EN-Mac552-About-Evernote.jpg

@Marcus or @Jack:  Does Ver 5.6 provide the same feature as Ver 5.5.2 to display the Evernote User's Account folder link ("Open Database folder") on the Evernote > About Evernote screen?

I hope so, because this will help many, many people.

EN-Mac552-About-Evernote.jpg

I just checked with 5.6.1, and indeed it does do that. Nice trick ;-)

Hey jack, seems like iWork inline preview is broken (at least on my mac) Whenever I attach an iWork document to a note... Evernote automatically compresses it into a Zip File =/ being unable to preview whatever the file is.

This just happens with new notes. Old notes with iWork files on them preview just fine.

After reading all the reviews about crashing in the last version, I decided to skip it.  So, when 5.6.1 rolled around, I figured Evernote had squashed all those bugs (wrong!).  The initial install went fine. The file conversion didn't take too long (~10 mins).  Then, I made my first table and CRASH... BANG... it was gone.  I submitted reports to both Apple and Evernote in the appropriate dialogs.  Since then it has crashed one other time and now I can't even open it.  If I run Evernote, everything looks fine initially, but the main window never comes up.  The my Mac reports that the application is not responding and offers to let me force quit it.  I've done that twice and have given up.  Guess I'm going to be using Evernote Web until 5.6.2 rolls out.  How do I get on the beta for the next version?  Even if it crashes, that'll be better than not opening at all.

My system: MBP running OS X 10.9.5.

-D.

I think this is an issue with the new style of iWork documents, not a change with how Evernote handles them.  Try moving an iWork file that you know previews in an old note into a new note.  If it still previews you know it is due to a change with iWork, not Evernote.  A second thing is to check the version of the iWork app that the preview-able file was made in.

Archived