REQUEST: [Feature Request] Shortcuts folders

doctorparadox

Idea

My Shortcuts list in the sidebar is egregiously long because it's so useful -- though one negative side effect is the "Recent Notes" list drops below the fold when my laptop isn't connected to a monitor (my second most frequently-accessed area because switching back and forth between multiple notes is such a common behavior).

It would be awesome to be able to make Folders for different Shortcut collections so they could be collapsed depending on context. Right now I use a hack to separate the chunks with a dummy "spacer" note, but actual folders would be way more elegant and bring the Recent Notes back into play... (on a related note, it would be awesome to just be able to move Recent Notes to the top. And make it more items as needed ;-P).

7 replies to this idea

• Level 5*

I'm assuming 'shortcuts' are basically just links to the note's UI,  so if instead of making a shortcut you hit Ctrl-Copy Note Link and saved that in a note,  you could have one note with a (long) list of shortcuts,  and put a single shortcut to that note in your sidebar.  Open it in a new window and jump around as required.  If you require more than one note's worth of shortcuts,  make another - etc.

EDIT:  Sorry - windows user speaking.  Plus there's arguments that you don't need a "classic" link anyway - https://discussion.evernote.com/topic/58313-keyboard-shortcut-for-copy-classic-note-link/ - some testing may be required...

• Level 5*

Gaz, you idea is still a good one.  It takes a few more steps, but using a Note as a container for other Note links is a good idea.  It also has the benefit of finding the "master" Note via search.

The one downside is that you can't put Saved Searches (as a link) in a Note.  But you could put the Search Expression.

My Shortcuts list in the sidebar is egregiously long because it's so useful -- though one negative side effect is the "Recent Notes" list drops below the fold when my laptop isn't connected to a monitor (my second most frequently-accessed area because switching back and forth between multiple notes is such a common behavior).

It would be awesome to be able to make Folders for different Shortcut collections so they could be collapsed depending on context. Right now I use a hack to separate the chunks with a dummy "spacer" note, but actual folders would be way more elegant and bring the Recent Notes back into play... (on a related note, it would be awesome to just be able to move Recent Notes to the top. And make it more items as needed ;-P).

I wait for a folder option since the beginning. it's so obvious and simple to create.

Just want to bump this idea. The problem with gaz's idea is a lot of my shortcuts are tags with 80+ notes. Thus I need a shortcuts folder so I dont have to scroll down so far!

edit- just a note that I'm a windows user and we certainly need this!

• Level 5*

OK - this is an old thread,  so I moved it to the Feature Requests forum so people can vote.  I'm in the same position now of having a long Shortcuts list that I hide and reopen a lot during the day.  I agree folders (or stacks,  or whatever) would be helpful...

Everyone else in favor please click the vote arrow in the top left corner!

Archived