STOP the nag popups/popovers

whatTheHeck

Idea

Each and every time after I login, a popup/popover appears about the web beta. Clicking on the "Not now" button does not do anything. STOP this harrassment. The same thing happens with the desktop software, i.e., a popup/popover appears to install/download the desktop application. The latter has been appear for over two years. I have the desktop version. Clicking the "No Thanks" button does absolutely nothing. Opening a trouble ticket and the responders are clueless. What part of "no" do you not understand? The are a few long threads about the desktop app nag with no resolution. If you really do not want my business just say so explicitly. I am happy to quit and take my money elsewhere.

post-227667-0-99163800-1412898137_thumb.

post-227667-0-40588200-1412898139_thumb.

11 replies to this idea

+1  Looking for ways to keep the interface I use clean.   Work chat is somehing that would have zero value to me if they didn't clutter the interface with it.  That clutter gives it a negative value.    Evernote was cleaner before work chat  came along. Now it's got pop up that I have to click every time I open.   

Evernote -   I  think that marketing your features inside the program negativly affects the usability of your interface.     

Maybe I'm misreading, but in general, this is a sign to me that EN is now entering the phase in a software company where they've realized the killer app people need,  It's matured and while it always needs  bug fixes and tweaking, it's there.   Still,  no matter how mature, there's a whole team of people charged to come up with more and more features or changeup the interface so they can keep reporting "advances"  to the boss and marketing  and keep versions with something new cranking out.     Eventually, the app gets ridiculously burdoned with options most don't use and less functional for it's original purposes.   At that point, we can only hope that the market will open up for somebody who does a clean Evernote, one of which will take off, and the cycle starts all over again with them.

I encourage EN to resist that and find other ways to keep themselves busy and justify salaries.  Cheers.

Even worse they are not doing it outside the product!  Even when I'm not using Evernote I get this huge popup in Windows nagging me to start a work chat.  It's masically malware.  

After the latest update I'm now getting repeated pop-ups asking me to 'Go Premium'. Why would I do that when I'm still checking EN out? So far the desktop is OK but the difference in UX with the IOS version makes it almost unusable. Maybe EN wants to get rid of free users which is fine, but simply say so rather than  bug the hell out of us with annoying popups - that's the world of spammers & malware. Doesn't fill you with confidence in EN.

Latest versions are very annoying with popups.  I'm done installing new versions of EN.

Very unprofessional malware, not expected of Evernote.

And every new version starts a new cycle of popups. 

ENOUGH. Seriously ENOUGH.

Web clipper popups, related content popups, I want my web clipper to clip. Not show past stuff I've done and already know about. 

Every new computer, every new browser, every new version, it's making me really really hate EN. And I really love it and have been premium for years, now I'm on a serious hunt for something better and Seriously doesn't even have to be better, just keep notes in the cloud without pain.

Every new computer, every new browser, every new version, it's making me really really hate EN. And I really love it and have been premium for years, now I'm on a serious hunt for something better and Seriously doesn't even have to be better, just keep notes in the cloud without pain.

I moved most of my notes to Microsoft OneNote (Mac and iOS), cancelled EN Premium, and deleted EN on my devices in December 2014. OneNote just works. IMO, sharing is much more intuitive than EN and syncing is almost instantaneous. YMMV. Note: Apparently, OneNote has a long history on the PC platform such that it has more features than the Mac and iOS versions, but Microsoft has been adding features through regular updates.

I moved most of my notes to Microsoft OneNote (Mac and iOS), cancelled EN Premium, and deleted EN on my devices in December 2014. OneNote just works. IMO, sharing is much more intuitive than EN and syncing is almost instantaneous. YMMV. Note: Apparently, OneNote has a long history on the PC platform such that it has more features than the Mac and iOS versions, but Microsoft has been adding features through regular updates.

Good idea.  I'm not that unhappy with Evernote, but I will keep in mind that OneNote is there if EN keeps up this trend of disrespecting it's users. And the more you use Evernote the more annoying it is to have endless repeat marketing in one's face.  And it's to no end.  If I haven't needed to use Chat for the first 100 times I opened EN to be told that it was a new feature, I don't think that pounding it into me for another 1000 times will get me to need it any more than the first 100.  It's just not something I need.  And if I did, I still wouldn't want to see and click the popup everytime my pc starts.

If paying for higher level got rid of these nag screens then I would be satisfied but I went to premium and STILL get nags.   Please Evernote, don't do this - respecting your users is key. This constant repeat marketing within the program is quite inconsiderate.

Thanks to Windows 10 and more linux at work, I've moved every PC / Laptop in the house except for one to Linux Mint and that will probably get moved this weekend. 

Nixnote2 (Linux evernote client, synchs with EN database) working pretty good. No ads, no popups, no updating settings at every update. Very EN like client, works with 2 factor and just works.

BTW: Linux Mint is the one to try if you're linux curious - very consumer ready with flash and great hardware support.

Between Office 365 and Google Apps (at work), and 90% of everything through browser - no need for Windows.

FYI: Take another look at Google Keep. Labels (Tags), sharing, text, pics, reminders. Integrated with Google drive and as a chrome browser app - Sweet. I'm using EN less and less.

Let's talk about the awful web interface and webpage that assumes you want to create a new account whenever you enter the page instead of sending you to the login section. Additionally it's some kind of responsive design that doesn't play well with auto form fillers.

Archived