Evernote for Mac 5.6.1 Beta 3

SoftwareMarcus

Idea

We continue to try to fix some remaining issues in the 5.6.1 build.  Beta 3 has 3 changes.

1) Switching views from card to snippet to list would cause the note title to stop updating.  This fix may also fix some other crashing issues.

2) Updated localization.

3) Added a dialog telling users that their data is going to be migrated, indexed and that it may take some time to complete.  

Click here to download.  http://bit.ly/1EAqc8P.

Thanks for helping us test this beta and for all of the feedback.

9 replies to this idea

The new beta appears to be pretty stable for me so far - Thanks! Is there plans to support Yosemite Dark Mode though? Evernote is the last app I use regularly to update to support Dark Mode for the helper menu bar icon and tool.

Thank you for your hard work on Evernote!  :D

Does 5.6.1 beta 3 address the problem where Evernote crashes when moving notes (on 10.7.5)? I have a support ticket on the same issue, and I brought it up on 5.6 beta 7, 5.6 beta 10, the release version of 5.6, and another user has mentioned the same issue as well. The release notes don't say whether the problem has been fixed, and I know that there are likely fewer users of 10.7.5, but it is still an officially supported version. 

My question is will the release notes specifically say when this is fixed? Evernote 5.6 was so unstable for me that I eventually reverted to 5.5.2 once I supplied enough information to help the QA team resolve the problem. (Evernote has activity logs, process samples, and a screen recording, and it seems to be a bug according to the customer support person I corresponded with.) 

I'd like to use the updated version, but I don't want to find out the problem remains and then need to downgrade again. 

• Level 5*

Apple now requires Mac OS X 10.9.5 to make security updates to block the Shellshock bug.  

So, I would expect more and more users on Mavericks to be updating to 10.9.5.

I have now updated all of my Macs.

But I'm still on EN Mac 5.5.2 until Evernote can provide a stable, non-crashing, reasonably bug free, version.

This is one of the major problems with doing a clean re-write of your software.  You still have to go through all the end-user testing (that you already have done with the current ver) to provide a solid, stable product.

EDIT:  Corrected typo:  "10.7.5" should be "10.9.5"

• Level 5*

So, I would expect more and more users on Mavericks to be updating to 10.7.5.

I’m confused by this statement.

Why would Mavericks users downgrade to Lion?

Sorry, I meant 10.9.5.

I'll  correct my post above.

It was a test for you, Adjusting, to see if you were actually reading my posts!!   ;)

(just kidding, of course, you've been very responsive)

Apple now requires Mac OS X 10.9.5 to make security updates to block the Shellshock bug.  

So, I would expect more and more users on Mavericks to be updating to 10.9.5.

I have now updated all of my Macs.

But I'm still on EN Mac 5.5.2 until Evernote can provide a stable, non-crashing, reasonably bug free, version.

This is one of the major problems with doing a clean re-write of your software.  You still have to go through all the end-user testing (that you already have done with the current ver) to provide a solid, stable product.

EDIT:  Corrected typo:  "10.7.5" should be "10.9.5"

I would upgrade, but I have one of the older Macbooks that supports nothing newer than 10.7.5. I found a version of Apple's shellshock patch that was released for Lion, by the way. http://support.apple.com/kb/DL1767

The people who are still on Lion, I would think, are those of us with older machines. 

So, I would expect more and more users on Mavericks to be updating to 10.7.5.

I’m confused by this statement.

Why would Mavericks users downgrade to Lion?

I have one desktop, a 2008 iMac, that was horribly slow with Mavericks. I downgraded that to 10.7.5 for performance reasons, but at some point I will probably put an SSD in that machine and upgrade the RAM in order to better run 10.9.5. The issue for me is that Evernote says Lion is a supported OS, but the client software is so unstable that it probably shouldn't be unless the QA team fixes the stability problems. I think it will happen, but I'd like to know through the release notes rather than a try-and-see approach.

Stable for me but there is one minor annoyance. Attached documents such as PDFs have a habit to randomly switching back to inline view i.e. giving you the full preview of the document. I prefer to see it as an attachment but it appears to switch to inline view sometimes. I have changed the behaviour in the preferences & that seems to have helped somewhat.

Thanks

Archived