Evernote not syncing tags across different devices

Hi all,

I've had an issue recently with my tags appearing on my Windows laptop, but not making it over to the web version or onto my Mac. It's a bit alarming when you realise a load of your tags aren't there. Thanks to other members on this forum I found a workaround/fix which I'd like to share for others who might be having the same problem. I asked Evernote for help some 5 days ago but have received nothing from them...

The first thing to do is not panic - your notes should ALL be there on your devices, just not some of the tags you've assigned to them. Evernote's main 'bible' record of your data can be found on the web version - so sign in there to see what they have and haven't got as compared to your own home machine. I found my Windows laptop had all the correct tags, but online and on my Mac the tags were not syncing this content through.

This is what you do to get the Evernote mainframe to recognise your tags properly - from there it should filter out to your other devices when you sync them.

1. Be ready to work on the computer where all your tags are present and correct
  2. Also sign into the Evernote web version to check your progress
  3. Identify the discrepancies with the tags between the web version and your home computer
  4. In the Windows version of Evernote (which I'll assume you're using) select the tag you want to get Evernote to register
  5. In the middle column, under "All Notes" right click on the tag and rename it.
  6. The way I did this was by simply adding the number 1 to it, eg "Project:Finance" I renamed "Project: Finance1"
  7. All this is doing is adding a placeholder for now
  8. Sync it and you'll see the tag appear on the left menu and the tag will now be assigned to all of the notes
  9. Now go through all the notes that made up your original tag and add the original tag (eg "Project: Finance") back to each of them
  10. Sync as you go
  11. You'll now have a placeholder tag and your intended tag with all the relevant notes within both
  12. Check over to the web version and as long as you've been syncing regularly you'll notice your intended tag and placeholder tag now appear with the correct notes
  13. Progress can be a little delayed, so wait until all your stuff appears in both tags on the web version
  14. Now go back to your home machine and delete the placeholder tag, and sync
  15. On the web version you should see your intended tag with all correct notes apportioned to it, and placeholder tag gone
  16. From there things should sync automatically to your other devices.

Good luck with it all. It's a bit annoying to have to do this, especially when the whole raison d'etre of Evernote is the automatic synchronising of content across several digital media. I'm debating where to go from here, as now whenever I create a tag on my Windows machine I'd be in doubt whether it would make it to the main servers. Evernote - sort this issue out please - your service and product otherwise are amazing and remain my favourite organization tool!

• Level 5*

@Help at Hand:

Thanks for sharing your workaround.  I'm sure it will help a lot  of  folks fix their tags while we are waiting on Evernote for a fix to prevent this from happening.

@Evernote Devs:  This is a major bug that needs to be fixed by Evernote ASAP.

One thing, in addition, that bothers me is that many users may have this problem but don't realize it.

So, they are searching their account for certain Tags, and don't realize that some Notes might not show in the results because of this bug.

Thank you Help at Hand for a good description. It will be useful for others having this problem.

As discussed in other thread I also had this problem. I followed a very similar process. It should be noted though that in my case the renaming of the tags (in your case adding the 1 at the end of the tag) did make the tag (previously not present in the online version) appear in the online version, with the new name. However, this note then contained 0 notes online, even though it had several notes in Windows. Waiting did not help. Therefore, steps 9 and 14 above are also necessary.

Ok guys, thanks for your comments. I agree EN need to get this fixed as it detracts a little from a really superb product. By the by, how do you guys go about backing up your content on EN? I do regular backups but the files are so many it's difficult to know how to organize them. I just hope nothing happens to Evernote otherwise I'm sunk in terms of organizing it all!

Keep on trucking.

• Level 5*

By the by, how do you guys go about backing up your content on EN? I do regular backups but the files are so many it's difficult to know how to organize them. I just hope nothing happens to Evernote otherwise I'm sunk in terms of organizing it all!

I'm not sure what you mean by "how to organize them"?  Any good backup system (I use Mac Time Machine) completely takes care of of the backup/restore organization for you.  You just pick the ver/date of the backed up file(s), and the BU system does the rest.

But that's the easy part.  Evernote does NOT support a true restore.  What EN calls "restore" is really recreate.  ALL of the EN "restore" processes I have seen require the creation of NEW Notes with NEW GUID, even though the Notes are coming from an EN backup.  This means, among other things, that Note Links to ALL Notes that are "restored" are broken, and the sync of these Notes goes against your monthly allowance.

• Level 5*

Ok guys, thanks for your comments. I agree EN need to get this fixed as it detracts a little from a really superb product. By the by, how do you guys go about backing up your content on EN? I do regular backups but the files are so many it's difficult to know how to organize them. I just hope nothing happens to Evernote otherwise I'm sunk in terms of organizing it all!

Keep on trucking.

If you have opted for the premium service, all of your notes that are in synced notebooks are backed up at EN.  You need to back up you local notebooks, I would recommend exporting by notebook to an ENEX format preserving tags (right click on a notebook - Export notes, make sure preserve tags is selected).  Personally, I export my synced notebooks as well from time to time, just in case.  FWIW.

• Level 5*

If you have opted for the premium service, all of your notes that are in synced notebooks are backed up at EN.  

The Evernote Service is not a backup, it's your primary copy.  

If you, by accident, delete a Notebook (and all its notes), and sync, then the EN Service no longer has a copy of those Notes.

Relying on manual backup (export to ENEX) is usually not very reliable.  We all forget, get busy, etc.

Everyone, IMO, should have a system that automatically backs up frequently,  the more frequent the better.

• Level 5*

Notes are backed up, notebooks are not for sure - though I don't know what support could do for you if you did DAA and delete a notebook by accident.

I have found ENEX backups to be reliable, you can automate the process to run in the wee hours if you like.

No doubt everyone should backup frequently in whatever manner best suits them.

• Level 5*

Notes are backed up, notebooks are not for sure - though I don't know what support could do for you if you did DAA and delete a notebook by accident.

I'm not sure what you mean by this, but I know for a fact that Evernote does NOT do any type of backup that is available to the user.  I'm sure they backup to protect against their own internal HW failures, etc, but the ONLY version available to the user is the version last sync'd.

Everybody makes mistakes.  You could have two NBs next to each other with similar names, and pick the wrong NB by mistake.  It hasn't happened to me, but it could.

• Level 5*

What I meant was I don't know what is available.  They have the fixings for a notebook restore, but I am clueless as to if it is organized to enable it.  Sounds like your experience says no.

Relative to mistakes, that's why I use ENEX.  Easier for me to load the notebook back, find and move the note(s) I need, and then delete the notebook than it is to do the EXB two step.

• 2 months later...

I experienced this issue recently. I also created a ticket with Evernote, yet have not heard back from them. Does anybody know what the status is on this issue, or when it will be solved? At this point, I'm not sure I can trust anything I put into Evernote as I'm heavily relying on tags...

• 1 year later...
Em 09/10/2014 at 16:09, Help at Hand disse:

Hi all,

I've had an issue recently with my tags appearing on my Windows laptop, but not making it over to the web version or onto my Mac. It's a bit alarming when you realise a load of your tags aren't there. Thanks to other members on this forum I found a workaround/fix which I'd like to share for others who might be having the same problem. I asked Evernote for help some 5 days ago but have received nothing from them...

Hi.

I recently had a problem and came to the conclusion that it was related update made. When you install Evernote on Windows and place the folders the way you understand to be better, Evernote to install refers to instances of default folders, thus creates a sync problem. When I had this problem identified, never automatically intalei prefer to install manually by going on the website and downloading the new update. I do not know if this is the case, sorry anything.

Archived