How about encrypted notebooks rather than 3-month trial offers for my Business subscription?

louie

Idea

As an Evernote Business user (and previously, an Evernote Premium subscriber), I expect additional value in the form for features that I want and need.  Instead, I'm subjected to additional marketing offers for trials of other services.  Like Facebook, I feel as if I'm the product and not the customer when this happens.

How about zero-knowledge encrypted notebooks, so I could fee more comfortable storing sensitive data in Evernote?  You guys have the same problem as DropBox, in that my data is accessible to potential third parties because Evernote has access to it, and a breech in Evernote's infrastructure security could disclose sensitive information.  This is why I'm a SpiderOak customer, despite their inferior user interface as compared to DropBox..

You'd think there would be a segment of potential Evernote Business customers out there, with HIPPA concerns (or other regulatory driven privacy requirements) that would like to use Evernote, but can't.

I'm willing to give up server-side indexing and OCR for some notebooks.   Probably there needs to be some special requirements for Evernote Business shared notebooks that are encrypted.  I'm certainly happy to discuss my needs and thoughts on how such a feature would work.  It would be really  nice to understand if this capability is on a feature roadmap, somewhere, sometime, or if we're just shouting pointlessly into the void asking for such a thing.

5 replies to this idea

• Level 5*

Hi.  We're all just users around here (well,  mostly) though the Devs do read these pages;  so sorry - we're not in a position to give you any relief from adverts or dates for future services. 

As a user though I'm quite fond of server-side indexing and OCR,  and I suspect I speak for most of the other 99,999,999 (approx) Evernote users around the world in saying I really hope you don't get that part of your request granted. 

Encryption has been asked for and discussed many times but unless and until Evernote decide to introduce whatever product they have designed,  there's not much point in raising the topic again.  Evernote don't discuss their roadmaps in advance.  They do have priority support for Business user support requests however - I'd suggest you raise the adverts with them (see below) and check whether there's something you can tweak to see less!

• Level 5*
As a user though I'm quite fond of server-side indexing and OCR,  and I suspect I speak for most of the other 99,999,999 (approx) Evernote users around the world in saying I really hope you don't get that part of your request granted.

I find this comment surprising considering there has been active discussion on the forums asking for the same thing.  I would also like to have the option to encrypt certain notebooks and will gladly give up OCR and "content" indexing.  I would still want metadata indexing.  I think this would be a very useful and powerful addition to EN, so you might only be speaking for the other 99,999,998 users :)

...  there's not much point in raising the topic again. ...

I disagree.  If a user (especially a new forum member) wants to bring up a topic that is important to them, they should feel free to do so.  If enough users express interest in a feature that doesn't exist yet, maybe, just maybe, EN will consider adding it.  If users don't speak up EN will not be aware of the interest level.

• Level 5*

I find this comment surprising considering there has been active discussion on the forums asking for the same thing.  I would also like to have the option to encrypt certain notebooks and will gladly give up OCR and "content" indexing.  I would still want metadata indexing.  I think this would be a very useful and powerful addition to EN, so you might only be speaking for the other 99,999,998 users :)

...  there's not much point in raising the topic again. ...

I disagree.  If a user (especially a new forum member) wants to bring up a topic that is important to them, they should feel free to do so.  If enough users express interest in a feature that doesn't exist yet, maybe, just maybe, EN will consider adding it.  If users don't speak up EN will not be aware of the interest level.

Now see,  I most emphatically did not say "I hope you don't get encryption",  I specified the bits of Evernote I don't want to change,  and that's what I hope doesn't happen.  Encryption,  I agree,  will be great -probably- when the guys get around to it.

And yes,  everyone's free to express an opinion here,  and if the OP had done only that I would have just ignored the comment.  Since he was asking questions and potentially giving away some stuff I'm quite fond of though,  I thought it worth a response...  I doubt me saying 'not much point' is going to dissuade anyone else from sharing their feelings in future (even though it's true). 

;)

• Level 5*

Now see,  I most emphatically did not say "I hope you don't get encryption",  I specified the bits of Evernote I don't want to change,  and that's what I hope doesn't happen.  Encryption,  I agree,  will be great -probably- when the guys get around to it.

and I did not accuse you of saying "I hope you don't get encryption."  I was commenting on the point where you spoke for most users.  It is fine that you don't want this feature but please don't speak for me.  By the way, I read the comment as a request to have the "option" to encrypt notebooks. Those that don't want encryption would not have to use it.

• Level 5*

and I did not accuse you of saying "I hope you don't get encryption."  I was commenting on the point where you spoke for most users.  It is fine that you don't want this feature but please don't speak for me.  By the way, I read the comment as a request to have the "option" to encrypt notebooks. Those that don't want encryption would not have to use it.

OK,  you're a hold-out too,  but since one of the core benefits of using Evernote is its indexing I was kinda guessing that "I suspect I speak for most of the other..." seemed like a fairly safe bet.  It's hardly legally binding.  I promise to leave you completely out of my assumptions in future...

Archived