Evernote for Mac 5.6.1. Beta 2

SoftwareMarcus

Idea

17 replies to this idea

• Level 5*

OK, then I'll reformulate my question. Was this bug (#540610) fixed in 5.6.1 Beta 1? 

I'm not sure we'll be able to do this every time someone asks about specific bugs but I'm new and have a little bit of time so I looked into this.  The question is about keyboard movement in a table.  We didn't do any changes in the tables for 5.6.1 Beta 1 or 2.  The current behavior is that right and down arrow do the same thing and move the cursor to the right.  Left and up arrow move the cursor to the left.  So the bottom line is that up and down arrow keys are not working in the way you expected and this has not changed.

@SoftwareMarcus:  Thanks for getting the answer.  Maybe you'll start a new trend.  This would be a great improvement in customer service!   :)

However, the behavior of EN Mac is flawed.  Surely you guys must know that in every other app in the world that's not the behavior?  Well, maybe you don't know since obviously the person who designed and/or implement keyboard navigation in a Table wasn't aware of it.  :(

But now you have an opportunity to set things right!   ;)

• Level 5*

Well, version 5.6.1beta 3 and 5.6.1 exhibit the same behavior -- crashing on startup.   And I still haven't got any response from my (Premium) support ticket.

Brent

@Brent:  Looks like Jack is on it.  But for more immediate response from Support, you can try Evernote Chat Support. (Chat option appears AFTER you click “Continue” on initial “Evernote Support” page.  HRS: 9-4 US PST)

• Level 5

Brent, thanks for posting and letting us know. Thanks even more for submitting your crash reports. I found your crash reports in our system and the what you're experiencing is the issue we're trying to track down in these repeated betas. Keep updating and let us know if it gets better!

I'm getting very frustrated with repeated crashing of Evernote.   5.6.1b2 is no better.   It is currently in a state where it crashes within seconds after opening without doing anything, presumably as soon as it starts to sync.

In the last few months, I've been constantly trying to deal with crashing issues, having deleted everything on my computer, reinstalling, etc, but the crashing behavior keeps coming back.   Perhaps my experience is unique in that I'm using it for lab notebooks and have a large footprint of notes (~1.7 Gbygtes), many with multiple attachments, but if the service can't scale to that, it's got problems.

I had hoped that the 5.6 rewrite was going to improve stability of Evernote, but it seems that was only a dream.

Brent

Brent, sorry to hear about your troubles.

In recent months a number of long-time users with large accounts have reported many problems with Evernote.

Like you, I was hoping the clean rewrite of Ver 5.6 would fix the scalability and sync issues.

I can say that I'm still running Ver 5.5.2 with 11K+ notes, and it seems much more stable than the reports I have seen for Ver 5.6+.

If you want to revert to Ver 5.5.2, Here is the direct download version of EN Mac 5.5.2: http://goo.gl/O0fRde

Of course, make sure you do a full backup of your current Evernote folder, and export any Local NBs you may have before reverting.  I would imagine that you will need to completely remove the current EN 5.6.x app and data before installing EN 5.5.2.

Maybe someone from Evernote can comment on the best procedure to revert to Ver 5.5.2 from Ver 5.6.x

Thanks, but I was also having crashing issues with 5.5.2 -- not sure I want to switch one set of crashes for another, especially since there (might) be a better chance of getting support/fixes within 5.6.

FYI, the crashes I'm seeing are due to an internal assertion failure within evernote's code  -- something that SHOULD be easy to diagnose, but ...

And I have also filed a support ticket.

Brent

---- excerpt from log ---

2014/10/09 10:05:25:467 I|*   -[ENCacheManager initWithAccountContext:listenForStartNotifications:]  | <ENMacAccountContext: 0x7fc8a952d030> YES self=0x600000545330

2014/10/09 10:05:25:467 I|*   -[ENCacheManager startWithBackground:]  | self=<ENCacheManager: 0x600000545330>
2014/10/09 10:05:25:467 I|*   -[ENSyncEngine _syncStoppedWithErrors:]  | Sync complete. No errors.
2014/10/09 10:05:25:476 I|*   -[ENCacheManager checkFileSystemIntegrity]  | File system appears to be in good shape. expected=1902, actual=1902
2014/10/09 10:05:25:509 I|*   __39-[ENCacheManager recalculateStatistics]_block_invoke  | totalSize=1363105286, cachedSize=1363105286, uncachedSize=0
2014/10/09 10:05:25:540 I|*   __77-[ENCacheManager fetchNextBatchOfDownloadOperationsUsingBackgroundTransfers:]_block_invoke  | Processing 0 notes
2014/10/09 10:05:26:085 I|*   -[ENCacheManager stop]  | self=<ENCacheManager: 0x600000545330>
2014/10/09 10:05:30:963 E|*** -[ENMacNoteMO setDirty:]  | Assertion <ENMacNoteMO.m:199> -[ENMacNoteMO setDirty:]

(self.notebook.canUpdateNotes) failed assertion

(
0   Evernote                            0x0000000102ffbe88 Evernote + 2039432
1   CoreNote                            0x0000000103dd8498 -[_ENNoteMO setDirtyValue:] + 64
2   CoreNote                            0x0000000103e3861f -[ENCoreDataLocalStore findOrCreateResourceInNote:withData:mimeType:] + 392
3   Evernote                            0x0000000102ef6f2e Evernote + 970542
4   CoreNote                            0x0000000103e5c209 __100-[ENAccountContext 

I'm getting very frustrated with repeated crashing of Evernote.   5.6.1b2 is no better.   It is currently in a state where it crashes within seconds after opening without doing anything, presumably as soon as it starts to sync.

Are others seeing a lot of crashes with the 5.6.1 app when they start the app?  Also, did these crashes start with 5.6 or did they also occur for you in 5.5.2?

• Level 5*

In the last few months, I've been constantly trying to deal with crashing issues, having deleted everything on my computer, reinstalling, etc, but the crashing behavior keeps coming back.   Perhaps my experience is unique in that I'm using it for lab notebooks and have a large footprint of notes (~1.7 Gbygtes), many with multiple attachments, but if the service can't scale to that, it's got problems.

I had hoped that the 5.6 rewrite was going to improve stability of Evernote, but it seems that was only a dream.

Brent

Brent, sorry to hear about your troubles.

In recent months a number of long-time users with large accounts have reported many problems with Evernote.

Like you, I was hoping the clean rewrite of Ver 5.6 would fix the scalability and sync issues.

I can say that I'm still running Ver 5.5.2 with 11K+ notes, and it seems much more stable than the reports I have seen for Ver 5.6+.

If you want to revert to Ver 5.5.2, Here is the direct download version of EN Mac 5.5.2: http://goo.gl/O0fRde

Of course, make sure you do a full backup of your current Evernote folder, and export any Local NBs you may have before reverting.  I would imagine that you will need to completely remove the current EN 5.6.x app and data before installing EN 5.5.2.

Maybe someone from Evernote can comment on the best procedure to revert to Ver 5.5.2 from Ver 5.6.x

Brent

OK, then I'll reformulate my question. Was this bug (#540610) fixed in 5.6.1 Beta 1? 

I'm not sure we'll be able to do this every time someone asks about specific bugs but I'm new and have a little bit of time so I looked into this.  The question is about keyboard movement in a table.  We didn't do any changes in the tables for 5.6.1 Beta 1 or 2.  The current behavior is that right and down arrow do the same thing and move the cursor to the right.  Left and up arrow move the cursor to the left.  So the bottom line is that up and down arrow keys are not working in the way you expected and this has not changed.

Thanks a lot for your reply. We had a long correspondance with support about this issue, they even asked me to make a screencast with moving cursor etc. Hoped 4 months would be enough to fix it.  

• Level 5*

FFS. Why not test it? In general, it's a LOT of work to track a single bug from when it was filed to the release in which it lands. You can test and see if it still exists, but expecting your "pet" bug to be fixed and to get forum notifications on when it happens is fairly unrealistic for software that's used by millions of people.

IMO, all fixed bugs of any significance should be listed in the Release Notes.

Neither you nor I have any idea how many people a specific bug may affect.

So, let's not shift the focus from Evernote to a concerned user.

IAC, it should be a fairly easy question for the EN employee to answer, assuming EN has a bug tracking DB like most developers.

FFS. Why not test it? In general, it's a LOT of work to track a single bug from when it was filed to the release in which it lands. You can test and see if it still exists, but expecting your "pet" bug to be fixed and to get forum notifications on when it happens is fairly unrealistic for software that's used by millions of people.

Well quite honestly there's not a lot of direction I can provide for this update.  Basically we fixed the top crashing bug.  We don't have any repro steps and actually have never seen it internally but we've investigated the crash logs that customers have submitted and we know where the issue is and we put a fix in. We think it will prevent the crash from occurring again.   The crash logs indicate that the issue was in the note editor.  Thanks to everyone for submitting crash logs because in many cases they provide enough information to allow us to fix a problem without being able to reproduce it in house.

This one fix is the only difference between 5.6.1 Beta 1 and 5.6.1 Beta 2.  We have not fixed any other issues.

• Level 5*

Hi SoftwareMarcus.  Since you're SW, does that mean you're virtual?   :D

Sorry, bad joke.

Could you please provide us with at least the list of major bugs that were fixed?

We'd really like as much detail as possible.  If you would tell us what's new/changed in the Beta, then we could do better testing for you.

Thanks.

Archived