Beta Feedback (GTD related issues)

Nuithari

Idea

Hey all,

First off I want to commend you guys on the look of the beta client. It is very sleek, and looks good.

However, I feel we're losing some key features in making it usable. The following issues were things that bothered me. If I just didn't discover them, please just point these out.

• There's no way to categorize your tags anymore.
  • There's no dragging and dropping tags
  • You can't search on multiple tags
  • No more note previewing while still seeing the rest of your search results.

If you work following the guidelines of Getting Things Done, this gets really frustrating. I switched back to the old version right away :/

I really hope some of these changes are still being worked on.

Best Regards,

- Nui

11 replies to this idea

glad you like the clean look and sorry to hear it didn't work for your GTD flow.

could you post a few screenshots of a few use cases (or a shared note link if it's easier) to help everyone understand how you're using tags in the previous interface?

Hey all,

First off I want to commend you guys on the look of the beta client. It is very sleek, and looks good.

However, I feel we're losing some key features in making it usable. The following issues were things that bothered me. If I just didn't discover them, please just point these out.

• There's no way to categorize your tags anymore.
  • There's no dragging and dropping tags
  • You can't search on multiple tags
  • No more note previewing while still seeing the rest of your search results.

If you work following the guidelines of Getting Things Done, this gets really frustrating. I switched back to the old version right away :/

I really hope some of these changes are still being worked on.

Best Regards,

- Nui

You should be able to click on a single search result, and then get view the note. From there you can click on any of the other notes in your list and view those notes as well - just like in the current web app. Hope that helps. 

Hi, 

I really like the clean look too, but wanted to ask if it would be possible to please retain the nested tags format? 

I use evernote and gtd as laid out in After The Book - http://www.afterthebook.com/ - and have placeholder tags for the different areas of the gtd structure, and tags underneath. On the mac app i can see and arrange the tree structure by clicking on the tags menu item, which is great - but viewing the structure on the menu bar on the left is even more useful as it allows me to see both my overview on the left and the content in the main pane. 

If you could allow this option to continue that would be hugely appreciated. Would be equally useful as an option in the mac app too. 

Many thanks

Marc

I have been tinkering with the web beta since I have a network adminstered machine at the office.  My only real issue is that I have to have my browser window open to Maximum in order to access the left side bar.  I don't typically ever use my browser in Maximum so this is a deal breaker for me in terms of moving forward with the current web beta.

I find the new format simply awful.  I'm not a big fan of form over function.  If this is the way you are going you can count me out.  I NEED the so called cultered views to navigate.

glad you like the clean look and sorry to hear it didn't work for your GTD flow.

could you post a few screenshots of a few use cases (or a shared note link if it's easier) to help everyone understand how you're using tags in the previous interface?

I'm really sorry I didn't get around answering you earlier.

Here are some shots of how I use the Notebooks / Tag structure:

2llk8c5.png9bbqcw.png

This way, it's really easy just dragging and dropping tags on your notes.

But the key for this to work is searching on multiple tags:

I'm at work, and need to do my next task for a certain project: click the notebook called Next Actions > Hit search bar > click tags @Work and the project I'm working on.

Tadaa: here's the next task I need to do.

Like Marc said, it's just really easy seeing your notebook and tag structure on the left.

Sadly, I can't install anything at work, so I'm tied to using the web app.

Anyways, thanks for listening, and sorry for my late response!

Hello,

I was happy to try the new beta and it is indeed less distractive. I typed a new note right with the tutorial. However, I was very disappointed when the new version did not give me any way to create a new notebook to save the note I just typed. I had to save it in a random notebook, then go to the main menu, find the note and create a new notebook for it from there. I'd appreciate if you include an 'Add new' button next to the line where I type my notebook name, so if there is no such notebook I can add it right away. 

Here are some shots of how I use the Notebooks / Tag structure:

2llk8c5.png9bbqcw.png

This way, it's really easy just dragging and dropping tags on your notes.

But the key for this to work is searching on multiple tags:

I'm at work, and need to do my next task for a certain project: click the notebook called Next Actions > Hit search bar > click tags @Work and the project I'm working on.

Tadaa: here's the next task I need to do.

Like Marc said, it's just really easy seeing your notebook and tag structure on the left.

Sadly, I can't install anything at work, so I'm tied to using the web app.

wow - this is a really clean implementation!  Your taking the time to share your implementation in more details makes it a lot clearer what you're looking to preserve and why.  it's a lot clearer why the original web UI really works for you!

feel free to share any vision(s) you have in regards to how the new UI should work yet still retain the desired "clutter and distraction-free" look Evernote is after - I'm sure the team is open to the input.

The new interface does not work well for me. Please keep the left pane functions of the old interface intact. I dont need my web browser version to look like my phone version - I use them differently.

I have thought about these issues alot and it seems to me that their are two schools of thought about organization and evernote has been struggling with them  The Apple based (tag and search) and the Microsoft based (Organize and store).  For those of us in the second camp, this new interface simply does not work well.  We "think" in a nested folder structure, not in a "ill find it later because I will tag it".  I recognize that having a "stack" name is in essence a tag, but the true power of the nested stack structure, and the way you display it in the non-beta version, is that I can visually see my tag relationships and instantly narrow my focus.

Also, "Clean" does not mean efficient.  Seeing less data requires more search for my note time = less helpful.Thanks 

Also, while I like being able to drag and drop in the beta interface, Having my new notes made in a default personal notebook and NOT being able to move them to a business notebook is not only a hassle it is a real hinderance to using the platform.  We need to be able to move notes freely b/w the peronal notebooks and the business notebooks, especially if our default folder is personal.

thanks for evolving, but not every evolutionary step results in a better result.

Agree on all the people saying the Beta is awful. I find zero improvements over the old interface. GTD workflow is made impossible. Also, beta has been around for a while now, and I don't see any major changes.

Sorry to sound so negative, but as a Linux user, the web interface is the only viable option for using Evernote.

Archived