(Archived) Specifying Which Notebook To Use When Entering A New Note

I'm wondering if it is possible to, in addition to tagging a note as it's being created, specify which notebook it should be placed into?

As it stands now, after tagging the note, I am hitting the "close window" button and then manually moving the note into a folder.

Am I missing something? If not, this would seem like a good feature to add.

Thanks,

Michael

In the Windows client (3.1), new notes are created in whichever notebook is selected at the time (or the default notebook if "All notebooks" is selected). Same applies with the web interface except you can override this by picking another notebook from the drop-down menu in the new note. So best to click on the notebook you want before creating the note.

In the Windows client (3.1), new notes are created in whichever notebook is selected at the time (or the default notebook if "All notebooks" is selected). Same applies with the web interface except you can override this by picking another notebook from the drop-down menu in the new note. So best to click on the notebook you want before creating the note.

Yes, that's correct. My answer was only partially correct.

Thanks, that works on the Mac, too.

However, what about the case where you create a note on the fly. At that point, you're not actually looking at your list of notebooks so you can't preselect one. Yet I may already know that I want the note to end up in a specific notebook. Right now, I have to close the note, switch to the Evernote interface, find the new note, and manually drag it to the correct notebook. This seems like a lot of extra work when it would be much simpler to have a means to designate the target notebook when creating the note.

Hope that is clear as to what I'm trying to accomplish.

The above answers still apply.

I have _New Notes set up as my default notebook. Anything that's uploaded from my iPhone goes there. The _ puts it at the top of the list & I know where to look for them. Normally, if I'm adding very many notes, I wait until I'm back at my desktop to add tags & move them to the appropriate notebook.

On my desktop, I have a local notebook labeled "inbox". That's ususally the one selected on the Windows client, which is open pretty much 24/7. Since it's local & not sync'd, I can add all kinds of stuff to it & it won't go against my monthly upload. Again, I know exactly where to look for the newly added notes & can easily add tags & then drag/drop them to the appropriate notebook. It's really NBD.

I agree with mdh98368. If you save notes on lots of different topics, and you want to "jot down" interesting things you run across while you're doing something else, instant response is critical. If I'm on my webmail page and I spot a link to a news story on auto safety, I want to save that quickly to the Notebook I'm keeping for my upcoming car purchase. If I have to stop, open another tab, go to Evernote, log in, scroll through my list of notebooks, pick one, make it the new default, return to the browser tab with the webmail in it (when I might have 3 or 4 other tabs open), then click the link for the safety story, add tags, and save, then I'll have forgotten what e=mail I'm reading and what I want to do with it. Leaving it until later to go back and allocate today's Notes to the appropriate Notebooks is even less likely to work.

This is a make-or-break feature for me. I think I'll return to Diigo or try another bookmarking app: WebSnips and i-Lighter look interesting.

Have you tried the bookmarklet (e.g., for firefox)? If you're on the web, you could just select the bits (or not) of the page you're interested in, click the bookmarklet, pick the notebook, assign tags and a note, and send it on its merry way to the EN servers. This is NOT the same as the firefox extension, which would try clipping to your desktop application. I do believe it's available from the downloads page. I use this for the "don't want to lose that train of thought" scenario that you describe.

• 2 weeks later...

Not to harp, since it's obviously not a feature in the current release. However, it would seem trivial to me that when you are looking at the new note window, in addition to tagging, it simply has a field for which notebook you want the thing stored in.

I have the "inbox" notebook set up as well, but I still have to then individually grab the notes and move them manually to folders.

All the procedures above are basically workarounds because of the lack of a very obvious feature addition.

I agree with mdh98368. If you save notes on lots of different topics, and you want to "jot down" interesting things you run across while you're doing something else, instant response is critical. If I'm on my webmail page and I spot a link to a news story on auto safety, I want to save that quickly to the Notebook I'm keeping for my upcoming car purchase. If I have to stop, open another tab, go to Evernote, log in, scroll through my list of notebooks, pick one, make it the new default, return to the browser tab with the webmail in it (when I might have 3 or 4 other tabs open), then click the link for the safety story, add tags, and save, then I'll have forgotten what e=mail I'm reading and what I want to do with it. Leaving it until later to go back and allocate today's Notes to the appropriate Notebooks is even less likely to work.

OR...if you simply have all new notes go to your inbox & then tag & file all notes, regardless of topic & then tag & file later in the day.

• 1 month later...

So, is it possible to set a different default notebook per machine i'm using evernote one. I'd always like to have ALL my notes, but at work i'd like work notes to go into my work notebook, and on my home computer I would like notes to default to my 'home notebook'...possible?

• 2 weeks later...

Archived