Do I need a degree in computer science?

I am a 3L law student. I had hoped that Evernote would be a better choice than Microsoft OneNote/OneDrive.  So far everytime I try to do anything it takes about an hour, possibly more, to plow through a book to figure out how to do even the simplest thing.

I purchased a book called "Evernote for Lawyers" by David M. Ward, but it seems to assume I can take off a whole semester from school just to study Evernote. Seriously, it seems that complicated compared to the Microsoft programs. And I am too close to taking the bar to spend too much time on this. 

I just need a little help with what should be some very, very basic functions.

1. Is there someway to get Evernote to sync with Pocket Informant 3?  If not, does Evernote have some sort of calandering function, or is there some sort of calandering ap it can sync with?  IF not then it is useless to me.

2. I have tried to get it to sync with my wife's Evernote account, but no luck. We can sync our Microsoft accounts, so I know the computers and internet will do it. Can someone give me a simple walk through on how this can be done, or if can even be done?

3. I have figured out how to make a Stack, but I can't figure out how to rename it. Anyone have any ideas?

I have a Macbook Air that is partitioned with Windows 7 on one side. I normally use the Windows side, but I have Evernote installed on both sides. I use an Android Kindle as my mobile device.

Thanks in advance!

Edit:

The below links to the Getting Started Guides are very helpful and takes you through the basics step-by-step, in plain English. I strongly recomnend you start there.

But don't be shy about coming back to the forum if you need more help! As a quick FYI, please do just as you did here and include the names of all the clients you have have questions about.

And don't be so hard on yourself. I'm one of the least tech-oriented people you're likely to meet, but with a some effort and a lot of help from fellow users, I managed to master the the basics. So I'm quite sure someone smart enough to be a 3rd year law student can do it too! And likely in far less time than it took me!

Thinking a bit laterally from Wordsgood's post above:

According to Evernote, none of their clients integrate with any calendar app. However, you can set up Reminders with alarms - this link explains Reminders. 

Further, whilst you cannot sync different accounts, you can set up shared Notebooks that either you or your wife can edit. You share Reminders on a per Notebook basis.

This link takes you to the "Evernote Business" Knowledge Base but the instructions on sharing Notebooks apply to non-Business users too.

Actually Imagenomad, that's not true.

From the Evernote App Centre, I copied the below Tablet Android version of Pocket Informant for his Kindle:

Overview

A full featured calendar, task, and notes app for the mobile professional integrating a full client Evernote sync.

Pocket Informant syncs Evernote notes and provides a full Rich Text editing experience.

It is also available on Android (non-tablet versions) iPad and iPhone

Another popular calendar app available from the EN App Center is Sunrise Calendar. The below link and info is copied directly from the App Center listing:

https://appcenter.evernote.com/search/7c55f8c51a1f20ab2ba6ea2500d729c4/

Sunrise is a free web calendar app. Connect Evernote in Sunrise to incorporate all your Evernote Reminders directly into your daily calendar.

Available on:

Android iPad iPhone Web App

In fact, Paladin2866, there a number of 3rd party apps available for a or a variety of purposes, endorsed by EN and provided in, the Evernote App Center. Below is a link to the App Center's main page. Go have a look around for yourself. Many of them are completely free!

https://appcenter.evernote.com/

Also, last I heard even free users were still allowed to share one notebook.

Thinking a bit laterally from Wordsgood's post above:

According to Evernote, none of their clients integrate with any calendar app. However, you can set up Reminders with alarms - this link explains Reminders.

Further, whilst you cannot sync different accounts, you can set up shared Notebooks that either you or your wife can edit. You share Reminders on a per Notebook basis.

This link takes you to the "Evernote Business" Knowledge Base but the instructions on sharing Notebooks apply to non-Business users too.

Thanks for the clarification, Wordsgood. I was quoting Evernote's Knowledge Base too - this link - with regards to calendars. Odd that EN should say that given the helpful info you've referenced clearly contradicts this.

On the other hand, I'm afraid you've completely lost me with, "Also, last I heard even free users were still allowed to share one notebook" as I haven't suggested otherwise.

1. Is there someway to get Evernote to sync with Pocket Informant 3?  If not, does Evernote have some sort of calandering function, or is there some sort of calandering ap it can sync with?  IF not then it is useless to me.

Try Sunrise Calendar. It's featured in Evernote's store. Here's a blog post:

http://blog.evernote.com/blog/2014/06/24/sunrise-new-dawn-reminders/

It's available for Android too.

If you're predominantly wanting to use Evernote as a task management app, and you're trying to squeeze it into the same format as most of the popular task apps out there, it is probably not for you. As you say, it's probably useless to you. However, you're missing out if that's all you want to use it for. 

Another fantastic app I used for quite some time - a brilliant task management platform - Gneo... it fully integrates with the way Evernote was built. If you are familiar with the Eisenhower quadrant, it might be a great fit for you. They have it on iOS and Macbook is on the way... definitely worth checking back on in a bit. 

Archived