Web (Beta) vs Desktop Client

Rgrenader

Idea

I really like the new Web client interface and would like to open the discussion about Web vs Windows, or Android or iOS client.  Why do I need a desktop client?  All of my Evernote content is cloud based, so why do I need a desktop client?  Unless it is the rare times when I am not connected to the web and need to access notebooks, etc?

6 replies to this idea

• Level 5*

One of the main reasons I have for wanting a desktop client is that I want to be responsible for my data. If Evernote were to have a data disaster or go out of business then I don't want to lose my stuff because they aren't there any more. Local notebooks are also important for people who don't want to put their personal stuff in the cloud

That is ignoring all the normal reasons about better functionality and responsiveness. A lot of apps that are available for mobile devices are really just a front end for  a web service, but apps are hugely popular and in the end I think it comes down to the fact that they provide a better user experience.

I like the new interface, IMO a big improvement on the current web version. It needs some work though and I think at the moment that the desktop version (I use Linux, running EN windows in Wine) is the better one to use on a daily basis if creating, editing or moving notes, using the win version of evernote in Linux has some drawbacks which is why I like the idea of a new web version.

I used the web beta and was moving notes from my inbox to other notebooks only to find that each time I moved a note that the app moved me straight to that notebook which meant I had to navigate back to the inbox to move the next note, also I don't see reminders anywhere in the web beta.

• Level 5*

I really like the new Web client interface and would like to open the discussion about Web vs Windows, or Android or iOS client.  Why do I need a desktop client?  All of my Evernote content is cloud based, so why do I need a desktop client?  Unless it is the rare times when I am not connected to the web and need to access notebooks, etc?

Sounds like it might work well for you.  3/4 of my notes are in local notebooks so I need a desktop version.  Most of my EN usage is there.

Sounds like it might work well for you.  3/4 of my notes are in local notebooks so I need a desktop version.  Most of my EN usage is there.

I have 4 platforms I use with Evernote:  Windows Desktop, Windows 8.1 Tablet, iPad Mini and Android phone.  So I need a cloud client.

The Desktop client syncs with the cloud clients anyway, right?  I like an actual client because it shows up as its own program in my Task Bar so I can get to it real fast.  If it's jsut open in a tab it's harder to find and I coudl close it by mistake or forget to go check it.  Having it open as an actual program helps.

Archived