Evernote Web Client Beta - not good.

Skells

I'm aware there are other threads on this topic, but I wanted to throw my voice in. The web app is not good at all anymore. I need better access to my notebooks/tags, and I need to be able to drag and drop. 

My basic workflow is completely stymied by the new design. Everything I make comes into an "Incoming" folder, and I sort from there. But now, if I am viewing my Incoming folder and want to move a note to, say, my Today folder... I click on the note I want to move, then select the Today folder - but now my view is set within the Today folder. I have to go back to the notebook tab, then find my Incoming folder again, then start the process over. That's about three times as much work just to do my daily organization of my notes, and there are going to be at least a dozen notes to go through every day. In the old version, I could open up my Incoming folder, then just drag each note into the folder it belongs. The whole process was very slick and efficient, which is why I user Evernote and not one of their competitors. 

Maybe keep this new beta as an option for display, but lord, it seems to be going in the exact opposite direction I would want Evernote to go. 

I use evernote on my macbook, on tablet and on web, and on smartphone. At the office we are not allowed to use download app, so use Chrome based web client. It has been a great tool for work and home and I have warmly recommended it to friends and colleagues. 

Sorry, but although the new beta looks glamorous and slick - lots of white space - and I think might even have good things for calm note taking and viewing/reading etc - I am shocked how it has lost functionality... Or have  missed something? The whole power of EN is the ability to cross search with tags and notebooks, edit tags etc. when I start typing in search the old client immediately gave multiple tag options (very fast way of searching).  I cannot seem to get the notes with one tag under a specific notebook, or use two tags together aside from search (in addition to Search box i could do it by highlighting several tags at the same time). What is the point of that? What has happened to nested tags? I know it may be mostly an aesthetic thing, but it sure helps keeping the 100 or so i have tidy and understand their hierarchy. 

I hope they do not touch the apps for tablet and mac, otherwise I have to look at alternatives. 

Sirs/ madams designers, please do not loose sight of the basics of this powerful knowledge tool 

I use evernote on my macbook, on tablet and on web, and on smartphone. At the office we are not allowed to use download app, so use Chrome based web client. It has been a great tool for work and home and I have warmly recommended it to friends and colleagues. 

Sorry, but although the new beta looks glamorous and slick - lots of white space - and I think might even have good things for calm note taking and viewing/reading etc - I am shocked how it has lost functionality... Or have  missed something? The whole power of EN is the ability to cross search with tags and notebooks, edit tags etc. when I start typing in search the old client immediately gave multiple tag options (very fast way of searching).  I cannot seem to get the notes with one tag under a specific notebook, or use two tags together aside from search (in addition to Search box i could do it by highlighting several tags at the same time). What is the point of that? What has happened to nested tags? I know it may be mostly an aesthetic thing, but it sure helps keeping the 100 or so i have tidy and understand their hierarchy. 

I hope they do not touch the apps for tablet and mac, otherwise I have to look at alternatives. 

Sirs/ madams designers, please do not loose sight of the basics of this powerful knowledge tool 

The EN team is trying to make experience across all platforms more and more consistent.

I would not be surprised if one day waking up to find the tag hierarchy gone.

Wait and see.

• Level 5*

I really hope not.  Tag Hierarchy is essential to managing lots of Tags (> 100).

In fact, what Evernote should be doing is making the Tag Hierarchy more powerful, by supporting EN Search syntax that searches for the specified tag, OR any of it's child Tags.  For example, "tag:evernote+" would search for all Notes with the tag "evernote" OR any of it's child tags like "EN.Mac", "EN.Win", etc.  

For more info, see EN Search -- Change Search Grammar to Include Child Tags of Specified Parent Tag

I really hope not.  Tag Hierarchy is essential to managing lots of Tags (> 100).

In fact, what Evernote should be doing is making the Tag Hierarchy more powerful, by supporting EN Search syntax that searches for the specified tag, OR any of it's child Tags.  For example, "tag:evernote+" would search for all Notes with the tag "evernote" OR any of it's child tags like "EN.Mac", "EN.Win", etc.  

For more info, see EN Search -- Change Search Grammar to Include Child Tags of Specified Parent Tag

Can it attract more newbie users?

Can it contribute to a multi-billion IPO?

If no, simply forget it.

• Level 5

TAG management:

Can it attract more newbie users?
Yes

Can it contribute to a multi-billion IPO?
Yes

But if it is implemented in the same manner as the web beta, all bets are off.
  • 2 months later...

I use the web client, because I am primarily a Linux user, and cannot use it without going through a browser.  The new client when used on Chrome, is really awful.  There is little useful functions, and I just found out today that I cannot attach items, and then type anything after the attachment, it just high lights the attachment and deletes it when I try to type?  I have paid for the 1 year subscription a couple of months ago because it looked like Evernote was making good changes, and keeping there program consistent with what worked, but it seems like that is not the case anymore.  Hopefully the Evernote team is looking at these forums, and trying to keep there customers happy.

-James 

I'm a new user and I came to the forum specifically to say that I don't like the new web interface. The lack of drag and drop was all that it took to turn me off. I played with it for some time just to see if it was me but I can't find any way to drag notes from one notebook to another nor combine notebooks into stacks. This seems like a huge fail in my eyes and I will continue to use the old version.

Also, I don't understand the need for all the whitespace and things that collapse in on themselves. If I have to click to see information I could see previously, you've just made my experience worse, not better. I like having well defined spaces for things. It took me two tries to add a title to a note because the title and the content areas were not well defined.

This is enough to make me reconsider Evernote. It has been Two Months and we are still stuck with this pile. 

Come on Evernote. Tell me one person who actually uses your product who thinks this is an upgrade. People organizing a few recipes at home are not paying the bills unless your goal is to open up advertising space on the screen as opposed to creating a professional tool.

Archived