New Evernote Web UI - Missing Features and Changes

Stuhrer

• Level 5

Hi,

I spent some time comparing the new "Web UI preview" with the productive version and have made a list of missing or changed features in the preview (not bugs!). I just want to document the facts without any judgment. Please feel free to add things, I am sure I did not find all. I am going to constantly update this list. I will cross-out the features that will be added by Evernote in the future to the "Web UI preview" so one can see the progress.

• Side bar
    • No expandable/collapsable lists of notebooks, tags etc. which increases the number of necessary clicks and scroll actions to reach an entry
    • No drag&drop to/within the sidebar
    • No nested tags
    • Tags can not be renamed or deleted
    • Stacks can not be created/deleted
    • Notebooks can not be created in or moved to stacks
  • Search
    • No saved searches
    • No possibility to save a search
    • No previous searches
    • No Filters
  • No Multi-Selection to
    • combine notes,
    • delete notes,
    • present notes,
    • e-mail multiple notes,
    • change notebook,
    • add tags.
  • No reminders
  • No list view
  • No hyperlinks (only automatic links when entering something like http://...)
  • No location information
  • No way to print a note
  • No inline view of pdf files
  • No possibility to display a note in a separate window (I use it often on second screen)
  • Only 4 notes in the snippet view on my Mac in contrast to 8 in the productive version and 24 in the list view
  • In most cases I cannot see the complete title of my notes just about 32 characters
  • Lots of unused whitespace. For example when you switch to the fullscreen view of a note it actually just moves the note to the center but does not use the additional space.
  • Selection of text style has to be done after adding text
  • Difficult to read due to lack in contrast
  • Huge fonts take unecessary space.
  • No possibiity to set a notebook as favourite
  • No possibility to share a note via E-Mail
  • No gallery of pictures in the note
  • No possibility to create tables
  • No possibility to retrieve notes history (premium feature)
  • Encrypted notes can not be viewed
  • Opening the site always creates a new empty note

Hi,

I spent some time today comparing the new "Web UI preview" with the productive version and have made a list of missing or changed features in the preview. I just want to document the facts without any judgement. Please feel free to add things, I am sure I did not find all.
  1. Side bar
    1. No expandable/collapsable lists of notebooks, tags etc. which increases the number of necessary clicks and scroll actions to reach an entry
    2. No drag&drop to the sidebar
    3. No nested tags
  2. Search
    1. No saved searches
    2. No possibility to save a search
    3. No previous searches
    4. No Filters
  3. No reminders
  4. No list view
  5. No hyperlinks
  6. No location information
  7. No way to print a note
  8. No inline view of pdf files
  9. No possibility to display a note in a separate window (I use it often on second screen)
  10. Only 4 notes in the snippet view on my Mac in contrast to 8 in the productive version and 24 in the list view
  11. In most cases I cannot see the complete title of my notes just about 32 characters
  12. Lots of unused whitespace. For example when you switch to the fullscreen view of a note it actually just moves the note to the center but does not use the additional space.
  13. Selection of text style has to be done after adding text
  14. Difficult to read due to lack in contrast

I would add:

- Huge Fonts, specially on larger monitors (I have a 22"), take unecessary space.

And I agree with the key missing features, just adding some additional detail:

- Reminders (in particular being able to open a notebook and see what reminders are associated with that notebook)

- One click access to Notes (too many clicks now)

- If the intent is to provide a simplified UI when you login, provide the option to "pin" one of the sideviews, replicating the current 3 pane layout view.

- Too much whitespace. Why are note lists centered ? Why does a note not take the whole screen if space is available ???

Like someone else said in a different thread, aesthetics are important, but should be balanced by functionality.

• Level 5*

Hi,

I spent some time today comparing the new "Web UI preview" with the productive version and have made a list of missing or changed features in the preview. I just want to document the facts without any judgement. Please feel free to add things, I am sure I did not find all.
  1. Side bar
    1. No expandable/collapsable lists of notebooks, tags etc. which increases the number of necessary clicks and scroll actions to reach an entry
    2. No drag&drop to the sidebar
    3. No nested tags
  2. Search
    1. No saved searches
    2. No possibility to save a search
    3. No previous searches
    4. No Filters
  3. No reminders
  4. No list view
  5. No hyperlinks
  6. No location information
  7. No way to print a note
  8. No inline view of pdf files
  9. No possibility to display a note in a separate window (I use it often on second screen)
  10. Only 4 notes in the snippet view on my Mac in contrast to 8 in the productive version and 24 in the list view
  11. In most cases I cannot see the complete title of my notes just about 32 characters
  12. Lots of unused whitespace. For example when you switch to the fullscreen view of a note it actually just moves the note to the center but does not use the additional space.
  13. Selection of text style has to be done after adding text
  14. Difficult to read due to lack in contrast
  15. Huge fonts take unecessary space.

@Stuhrer:  Thanks for posting this.  Very helpful.

@Evernote Release Team:  This is exactly the kind of Release Notes you SHOULD have provided/displayed BEFORE the user signs up for the so-called BETA (which it is not).  If you want to ask for help from your users, that's fine.  But it is your DUTY to advise them of the shortcomings of the "BETA" before they agree to participate in it.

• Level 5

@Stuhrer:  Thanks for posting this.  Very helpful.

@Evernote Release Team:  This is exactly the kind of Release Notes you SHOULD have provided/displayed BEFORE the user signs up for the so-called BETA (which it is not).  If you want to ask for help from your users, that's fine.  But it is your DUTY to advise them of the shortcomings of the "BETA" before they agree to participate in it.

Thank you for the compliment. I will maintain the list and I am curious whether it will get smaller over time.

Calm down people  :D   This is just a Beta you are asked to try out.

It is missing a lot of the features we love on the original. Frankly I think it is more in Alpha stage than Beta, but nobody is twisting your arm.

If you simply want to revert, go into your account settings summary and click on "Go back to old version"

That's it.

Personnaly I think it shows a lot of potenttial, especially on the speed side of things.  Let's wait and see as more features are implemented.  The point is to give suggestions and try to make it what we would want.  Not get angry and pissed at devellopers.

The above list of missing features should be made accessible when a member accepts the Beta version.

Thank you for this list @Stuhrer

I would also add the following:

• Cannot view encrypted noted (single/double click brings up font style menu)
  • Cannot open a note in a new window.
  • The site starts with the new note screen, instead of a list of notes.

Also, not exactly a "missing" feature, but I sometimes see duplicate notes. Sometimes a note appears twice, with different timestamps (I did not copy or even edit any of these notes, I just viewed them).

• Level 5

Calm down people  :D   This is just a Beta you are asked to try out.

It is missing a lot of the features we love on the original. Frankly I think it is more in Alpha stage than Beta, but nobody is twisting your arm.

If you simply want to revert, go into your account settings summary and click on "Go back to old version"

That's it.

Personnaly I think it shows a lot of potenttial, especially on the speed side of things.  Let's wait and see as more features are implemented.  The point is to give suggestions and try to make it what we would want.  Not get angry and pissed at devellopers.

The above list of missing features should be made accessible when a member accepts the Beta version.

I am very calm. I can always switch to another service.

But I have been using Evernote Web for my work for quite some time now and I love it. The way I organize my daily work has been greatly influenced by Evernote and you can imagine that this organization will be greatly influenced by a dramatic change of the tool and I think >20 missing features at the moment is quite dramatic. OK I still can use the old version but how long? I have no alternative to the Web version because I work under Linux. Shall I be optimistic and hope they will add the features my workflow depends on? Maybe, but I will closely observe the development of the new version and if there is an indication that the old version will be cancelled and the new not sufficiant for me I will have to stop using Evernote.

• Level 5

Also, not exactly a "missing" feature, but I sometimes see duplicate notes. Sometimes a note appears twice, with different timestamps (I did not copy or even edit any of these notes, I just viewed them).

You are welcome and thank you for the additional information. I have added the first and last point. The third was already in my list.

You are welcome and thank you for the additional information. I have added the first and last point. The third was already in my list.

Thank you :-)

I don't know how I missed the new window point in your list.

• 1 month later...

Thank you for this

As many of your are, I am heavily dependent on evernote, but I really feel that since evernote 5 and onwards things have been going downhill.

It seems the evernote team is very much out of touch with the variety of ways that people use their software, and they are channeling the interface into this ideal they have in mind where people only write stories and take pictures of coffee cups on wood tables, and that's all.

There is this constant push of reducing functionality and cusomizability.

The android version has been improving, but they recently tied snippet/list view option to the type of sort you're using.

But windows evernote 5 was a big dissapointment to me, I felt such a relief when I went back to 4. And now the release of this half-baked beta for the web UI.

Please... why these adventures? Just add color coding for notes and tags already! I promise I'll take more pictures of coffee cups.

• 8 months later...

Archived