Beta web client - keyboard shortcuts

chienowa

Idea

I've gotten used to the keyboard shortcuts in Gmail and Google Docs - would be pretty awesome if you could mirror those shortcuts in Evernote. For bulleted list, and numbered list. 

I use the shortcuts for bold, italic, and underline all the time. 

Just a thought, thanks! 

• Like 8

38 replies to this idea

Agreed!

For me, a keyboard is second nature, and I don't use the mouse that much. I find that using a mouse interrupts my stream of thought :-(

I would also like to add that keyboard shortcuts for navigation and search would be an excellent addition.

• Like 1

I'll add this to the Feature Request topic.

I wonder if part of the problem with keyboard shortcuts is making sure they don't interfere with the browser's shortcuts.

I don't think that's much of a problem. There are a lot of sites that implement keyboard shortcuts (Gmail, twitter, Pocket, this box I'm using to write my reply), and there doesn't seem to be a conflict with the browser's shortcuts.

Would LOVE to see shortcuts to insert the current date+time and adding todo list bullet points in the Web clients (current and beta).

That's basically the only thing I keep using the Evernote Desktop client (Windows) for, oh, and easy screenshots.

I may be dating myself a bit but I'm an Emacs user. The keybindings are fairly common in Linux (or at least configurable in Gnome to use "Emacs") and most of Mac OSX for editing without the arrow keys. Basically if you are in a text box/edit area/field CTRL-F, CTRL-B, CTRL-N, CTRL-P move forward, back, next line, previous line respectively. The irony is that for the Evernote web interface CTRL-B is overridden as Bold so I keep trying but failing to go back a character. Of course I had to figure that out by trial and error. While I'm not asking for Evernote to make my specific case easier since I'm sure I'm in the bottom 1% I would at least like to echo the comments about: 1) display help on the shortcuts; 2) possibly allow them to be configured/disabled. The real irony, of course, is that those shortcuts (i.e. emacs) work just fine in the Mac OS X app since that OS uses the keybindings in all its text elements.

Absolutely agree .... its already frustrating as an Android / Linux user that the Evernote team really seems to give preferential treatment to iOS and the desktop client.  Much acclaimed features seem to be completely missing from non-apple platforms (Business card scanning, the integration with news sources, etc).

At least enable some help menu and hotkey functionality for the web client. 

And markdown support would be kinda cool, too ;)

• Like 1

Yes, I agree, this would make the new beta accessible to screen reader users. the desktop app is not accessible, nor is the ios app. The old web app is kind of accessible. please see my other post on this issue. There is a setting to use global keyboard shortcuts in the new beta, but the latest release notes say that they are not implemented. For me, that defeats the purpose of testing the new beta since I can't really get around it with my screen reader. It's a catch22. I think I will indeed have to put in a support ticket.

Ow man, I've already been trying out several key combinations just to confirm removal of a note. Not even "enter" works :S

As mentioned by someone before, shift + / (?) for a quick help screen MUST be implemented (!) with available shortcuts a key press away would make any novice become a ninja in no-time!

Being a Linux user and therefore bound to web-client I feel we've earned this much.

yep, I agree, put in those keyboard shortcuts ASAP. There really aren't ones for the current web app. I actually have figured out that I can't even beta test the new web ap without having keyboard shortcuts of some kind. My screen reader gets really confused even just trying to find a notebook. So, I'd love to help with accessibility but I can't even access the interface.

In addition to what others have previously said, mappable key bindings would be a huge plus, or at the very least forcing evernote to respect the OS keybindings. I am a software developer and our company gives developers macbook pros to write code on... however I have a mechanical keyboard I use since its much nicer to actually type on; that keyboard has the normal windows layout so I've swapped most of the modifier keys in OS X (in the built-in system settings, no 3rd party app) to better resemble what the Mac layout is. It is very frustrating to hit ALT+SHIFT+<arrow key> (which is mapped to the mac CMD+SHIFT+<arrow key>) to highlight the line I'm on but just have it jump to the end of the word instead. This is true of several other very common operations that use modifier keys as well (copy/paste, word highlighting, jumping to beginning/end of a word or line). While I grew up on windows and know the shortcuts to perform those operations, its really annoying to write some code with the mac bindings, then go into evernote to write something down and have to use a completely different set of shortcuts since it doesn't seem to use the OS mapping.

EDIT: as I saw another user mention, Markdown syntax support would be AMAZING! I already use Markdown/RestructuredText for documentation and code comments, and I've gotten used to using it for basically anything else I write as well; I haven't touched RTF/.doc in years, plain text FTW!

We just started rolling out a new web client editor that will have some of these changes.

Most of the work is under the hood and you won’t notice it, but we are introducing a few nifty shortcuts with this release:
``` to start a code block
* to start a bulleted list
1. to start a numbered list
[] to create a checkbox
[][][]X# + RETURN to create a table
e.g. [][][][]X4 followed by RETURN would create a four by four table
Plus all kinds of emoji, from :ghost: to :pizza:

Full post here: 

• Like 1

The shortcuts are fine unless they override system shortcuts. I hate it when the program does it because I use also other languages. For example there is shortcut to undo but it is build that way that this particular shortcut somehow overrides system shortcuts: right Alt + Z and right Alt + shift + Z. It did not happen in Chrome browser version until beta.

But it happens in some programs that having ctrl+Z or ctrl+alt+z or any similar shortcuts overrides Right Alt shortcuts that are used for different non-English characters.

However until beta it worked fine so what change in the code made the problem with shortcuts?

On 2016/4/22 at 8:41 AM, scruggles said:

We just started rolling out a new web client editor that will have some of these changes.

Most of the work is under the hood and you won’t notice it, but we are introducing a few nifty shortcuts with this release:
``` to start a code block
* to start a bulleted list
1. to start a numbered list
[] to create a checkbox
[][][]X# + RETURN to create a table
e.g. [][][][]X4 followed by RETURN would create a four by four table
Plus all kinds of emoji, from :ghost: to :pizza:

Full post here: 

And **bold**, __underlined__  etc.

We really need a shortcut doc for Evernote web

17 hours ago, Damon_M said:

I had an evernote premium account. But since they have ignored my request, and others' request, for keyboard shortcuts in the web version, I will not be renewing it even if the price has gone up. I'm totally blind. The windows version doesn't work for me in the notes section, the web version is the only one that might work, but not have theability to use keyboard shortcuts pretty much kills any idea of using it effectively. Evernote has not gotten the idea that, if they implement hte easy lines of keyboard shortcuts, they would gain a whole new market of blind users to experience the power that evernote has to offer. But it's been like talking to a brick wall. I could cry. Yes, that's dramatic, but when you've been struggling with accessibility all your life and everyone uses this product, and you an't use it like others do, that's frustrating beyond belief.

• Like 1
On 6/5/2016 at 7:52, zdanevich dijo:

Guys, implementing shortcuts it is just a few lines of js, what the problem...

Not javascript, but html. All controls only need an accesskey attribute.
For instance, if the search button is
<button onclick="...">
all they need to do is add an accesskey:
<button accesskey="F" onclick="...">

I believe evernote web could have keyboard support in a few minutes... if only the buttons were real buttons...

I have been advocating for this feature ever since I became an evernote user. If they implemented keyboard shortcuts, us blind people would be able to use the web version more which is really the only version from the desktop that I could remotely use. Why it hasn't been implemented, I have no idea. It seems so simple and since evernote is all about writing, wouldn't it be easier to keep your hands on the keyboard so you can keep writing away and just use keyboard shortcuts? Furthermore, as I have advocated, if the people at Evernote were to implement keyboard shortcuts, they might be able to get an entirely new market of blind computer users such as myself to use their apps. The only app that is sort of accessible is the Iphone app, and that's even a stretch. The other issue is that the EML is propriotary and the HTML elements that screen readers need to access are all barred from use. But still, even with that aside, keyboard shortcuts are the main thing in the web version that would make it work.

I need shortcuts:

Bold: CTRL + B 

Highlight: CTRL+SHIFT+H (There is a chrome add-on but needs integrating)

Link: CTRL+K

Checkbox: CTRL+SHIFT+C (Windows)

I got used to them in Evernote client and don't want to use the mouse all the time

I wrote a simple chrome extension called Evercuts that adds a bunch of keyboard shortcuts to the new web interface. You can install it via chrome

The extension add the following keyboard shortcuts
1. Search Notes (Alt+Q)
2. View note in fullscreen (Alt+P)
3.  Move Note (Alt+M)
4. Delete Note (Alt+Delete)
5. Open note in new window (Alt+Click)
6. Copy Internal Link*
7. New Note*
8. Previous Note*
9. Next Note*
10. Open note in new tab*
11. Open Insert Menu*
12. Edit Tags*

Items marked with *  are not set by default. All shortcuts are configurable except for Alt+Click because it is not setup with chrome commands.