Web BETA Feature Requests

righteousdork

Idea

I saw that there was a new beta of the web client and was genuinely excited.  I use the Web client at work everyday and would agree that an update is definitely needed.  Modern web apps can do all kinds of cool stuff, and I was excited to see how much "whizzbangness" had been added to the beta.

:(    

I see what you're trying to do with the focus on writing.  That part looks good.  Maybe a little minimal for my tastes but I get the gist.  But almost everything else is concerning.  And this is coming from someone who LOVES Evernote.  I realize this is a beta and was totally prepared to make do with some things, but it's like 25% of the app was just completely left out.  So I'll start the list of things that I would like to see.

Feel free to add to the list

• Reminders
  • Saved Searches
  • Saved Searches in Shortcuts are also gone.
  • Nested Tags (Tag hierarchy)
  • Maybe less white space
  • Multi-select Notes
  • Search within the Notebook and Tag lists for fast access
  • A way to cancel/discard a newly created note without having to save and delete it.

• Notebook stacks visible from the notebook drop down menu in the note editor.

• Always present option to get back to the home view.

• Share icon design.

• Note list view

• Night mode / Color contrast options

• More Keyboard Shortcuts (if possible in a browser)

• Mouse-over on nav icons

• Option to toggle formatting bar so that it’s always present

• Note highlighting and annotation

• Share notes via email

• Ability to open multiple notes (open in new window)

• No resizing

• Delay

• Text at the end of the screen during note creation

• Text formatting requires too many clicks

• Reminder set ends when you click the date.  Done button.

• While in search mode, search terms take up too much space

• Page breaks

• Pasting images from clipboard

• Information density

• Update time in Note Info

Please keep in mind that this is posted with love from a user who has been here since 2008.  Premium since 2009.

UPDATE:

I will try to keep the list up to date with suggestions and ideas from others. 

Indeed, Nested notebooks, nested tags, saved searches. And even just a simple compact list-overview of my notes.... All gone.

When you are a heavy user of the "the secret weapon" / evernote like I am... This beta is not looking good at all.

Yup, I agree.  I use Evernote every single day at work to stay on top of tasking, my to-do list, and even my Livescribe notebook notes.  I tried out the beta today and was fumbling around.  Where the heck is the merge feature?  I can't multi-select notes anymore?  I used this exclusively when I transferred written Livescribe notes as searchable PNG images and then merge them together (even though you can send multiple pages through Livescribe share, they aren't all appended together in the same note, they come across to Evernote as separate notes).  GAHHH what to do!  Please add more functionality!

• Level 5*

I think Evernote have a little difficulty understanding how important data density is to many heavy users of their service - the web beta looks like an extension of that lack of understanding.

If you read the reviews on The Verge article, it's crazy.  Lots of praise.  It really does feel like a casual vs. hardcore debate is brewing.

@MeneM - I have one Notebook stack and that is showing up as expected.

@tarahd - Adding multiple note select to the list.  Not sure if this is in the classic web app.  I'll check.  Would be great to have though.

UPDATE:

You can multi-select notes in the classic Web version...which I have switched back to.  I gotta have my reminders.

I saw that there was a new beta of the web client and was genuinely excited.  I use the Web client at work everyday and would agree that an update is definitely needed.  Modern web apps can do all kinds of cool stuff, and I was excited to see how much "whizzbangness" had been added to the beta.

I see what you're trying to do with the focus on writing.  That part looks good.  Maybe a little minimal for my tastes but I get the gist.  But almost everything else is concerning.  And this is coming from someone who LOVES Evernote.  I realize this is a beta and was totally prepared to make do with some things, but it's like 25% of the app was just completely left out.  So I'll start the list of things that I would like to see.

• Reminders.....Somewhere please.
  • Saved Searches
  • Ability to see Nested Tags
  • Maybe less white space
  • Multi-select Notes

Please keep in mind that this is posted with love from a user who has been here since 2008.  Premium since 2009.  

I agree heavily with this.

I shorcut saved searches which is critical to my workflow. This is not currently supported. It also seems that having to click then see item sand pick from a list is FAR slower than just clicking an item on the left.

It looks great, but for actual use it is not as powerful as the classic.

I am surprised to see that so much of functionality is taken away in new version. You can't change fonts (type, size, bold, italic etc) anymore.

You cannot open note in new window/tab anymore. When  you get search results, you cannot even enlarge particular note (=get in the middle of the screen). It is only possible if you go through notebooks.

But what is worst of all - there is no clickable link to source!!! Words fail me, really.

The style I kinda like. Lovely that notebook list pops up and shrinks (although, on the other hand, it is so long now and full with white space between lines.... extensive scrolling needed).

But lost functionality is unbearable. I switched back to old version and I pray they don't eliminate it so soon. 

Indeed, Nested notebooks, nested tags, saved searches. And even just a simple compact list-overview of my notes.... All gone.

When you are a heavy user of the "the secret weapon" / evernote like I am... This beta is not looking good at all.

I agree,  I REALLY DO NOT LIKE the new interface.  It is like telling a automotive designer to design a car that allows the driver to focus on driving and in response he removes the radio, warning lights, cruise control and anything else that is not essential to the immediate task at hand and hides them all behind a panel on the dash.  I don't need simplicity in creating a new note.  I need speed and utility in searching for and browsing though the notes that I have already created.  I need a system to bring VISIBLE order to the chaos that is my research, not hide it all in a drawer!  Evernote, PLEASE don't make the beta version mandatory!!  Make it an optional "streamlined" format for those that like it.  I don't!

If you read the reviews on The Verge article, it's crazy.  Lots of praise.  It really does feel like a casual vs. hardcore debate is brewing.

@tarahd - Adding multiple note select to the list.  Not sure if this is in the classic web app.  I'll check.  Would be great to have though.

UPDATE:

You can multi-select notes in the classic Web version...which I have switched back to.  I gotta have my reminders.

Reminders will be available in another version of the beta, coming soon. It's been stressed elsewhere, but this is an early version to get users working with our latest vision for the web client. We want to hear your feedback. We haven't historically had a beta for web, so (IMO) this is a great change, and will allow an apples to apples comparison while we roll out the new design.

• Level 5*

UPDATE:

Reminders will be available in another version of the beta, coming soon. It's been stressed elsewhere, but this is an early version to get users working with our latest vision for the web client. We want to hear your feedback. We haven't historically had a beta for web, so (IMO) this is a great change, and will allow an apples to apples comparison while we roll out the new design.

gbarry,

Evernote may want to adopt the term alpha  Garner all the feedback you want, just let users know they may or may not, be able to do their work in the alpha.  As stated elsewhere, beta is typically reserved for function complete software.  

Editorial:  Newbies won't know the difference and may see EN as just a simple note taking app, perhaps missing its potential.  

I generally like the redesign, but there are some old features missing in the beta and one feature I hate.

I hate the new share icon adopted from Apple/iOS. To me, it suggests uploading a file or a window pop-out. Please give users the option of switching to the generic share icon used by Google/Android and others — or just adopt it as the default.

Missing features that need to be restored (some of which staff have already said will be):

• a way to cancel/discard a newly created note without having to save it first then delete it
  • stacks in the notebook selection dropdown menu in the note editor
  • tag hierarchy in the sidebar
  • a button for linking text
  • share by email
  • saved searches
  • reminders

There also needs to be an always present, easy way to get back to the main home view with the expanded sidebar that you start off in when you sign in. Once I leave it, I don't see any way to get back.

Too much whitespace. The minimal design is fine, but that 2 inch strip of white on either side of the notes really bugs me. Even just extending the margins of the notes to close up some of that space might work.

An easy way to get back to the main screen would be nice (as someone else mentioned)

That "share note" icon confused me, I was disappointed when the note didn't pop out in a separate window as expected (which reminds me, where did that "open note in separate window" option go? I use that often.)

I miss the note list view, I liked navigating my notes that way. Hopefully you will add a few alternative view options eventually 

It looks nice, though, and looks very unified with the Android app 

Well that didn't last long: I frequently drag and drop notes into notebooks. But with the new Evernote web beta notebooks aren't continually displayed on the left hand side.

Evernote web beta looks nice, but I agree with people here who say that functionality has been sacrificed for prettiness.

I'm back to Evernote web regular. 

OK -- I think the summarized response to requests for feature additions and / or improvements can be stated simply (and seriously) as follows:  all the features in the current, Classic web version need to be replicated in the new version, ... and working without bugs.  I'm not trying to be flippant with this response, but in trying the Beta version, the first thing I was presented with was a version no longer supporting many of the features my time and productivity management processes were built upon: items a part of the basic features list of the "classic" web version.  Once that has been verified to exist and to be working correctly, then time can be more easily spent on feature additions and improvements.

PART 2

Although I am [and will be] using the 'Classic' version to get my work done, I will be switching back and forth between the 'Classic' and Beta versions to identify when their updates have established a more-productive Beta experience.  As I've placed all my proverbial "eggs" in one Evernote basket, I definitely want to help make the new UI as pleasant and productive as possible.  Change is inevitable.

Night mode. White on screen HURTS eyes (especially now that there's more empty white space). There can even be a feature to introduce multiple color schemes. But really,

a black background with dirty white text is more than enough for me.

Hello there,

Clicked on the link for the Beta version this afternoon, and FWIW here is my two-penneth.

First off, I get that it is a Beta version, so some features will be missing.

I also read that you're thinking this new interface will enhance the focus on writing, i.e (I presume) on the pane we are actually typing in.

Granted that I am using an 11" notebook screen, but my sense of it was that the new black Notebook title top almost-left, plus the size of the note previews (again in that almost left-hand column), actually DISTRACT from the pane I am writing in.  And quite considerably.

So I flipped back to the desktop client, and could instantly see that the design looks old-fashioned in comparison, and doesn't follow the more up to date design tropes of more space around elements, simple line seperators and so on..

But for me, the colour contrast of the stuff I am only wanting to look at ocassionally is WAY better on the current desktop client.  Grey and light blue might be boring, but they sure as heck don't shout the house down contrast-wise like black and green do (on white).

So in the Beta, all of the elements on the page actually have the same weight, and kind of dance around in my peripheral vision when I'm trying to concentrate.  In fact I found that my eyes were constatly being 'dragged' left.  Hmmm..  Find a cool grey-green (and light grey for area seperators)..  or go all out and have a full-screen mode like several other apps do?

Also, I right away wanted to minimise that second left column and make it MUCH smaller, if not make it go away completely.  Prismatic.io manages this, I think, in a much clearer way.

Hope that's useful guys..but to summarise, too much contrast (way way too much), and the space around elements on a small screen actually crowds my focus not enhances it.  Granted I had one high-contrast image in a note to the left, but that can happen in use for sure!  If I had more than one image = chaos!

Thanks for the chance to give some feedback!

Iso

I agree this beta version totally dispointing. I spend between 2-4 hours a day on Evernote and I need speed. This new version looks very nice and apealing until you get lost under a white see of white space that doesn;t add any value or functionality. The key idea is that I need to constantly see the whole map of my working activity to then move quickly form one place to the other. With the new beta version I've lost this map so every time I need to move to a new notebook I need to think instead of just "see" and go there. 

Please reconsider this new design or I'll have to stop using Evernote. Time is money in my case and this new beta version adds a considerably amount of time in my information processing activities. 

Hello there,

Clicked on the link for the Beta version this afternoon, and FWIW here is my two-penneth.

First off, I get that it is a Beta version, so some features will be missing.

I also read that you're thinking this new interface will enhance the focus on writing, i.e (I presume) on the pane we are actually typing in.

Granted that I am using an 11" notebook screen, but my sense of it was that the new black Notebook title top almost-left, plus the size of the note previews (again in that almost left-hand column), actually DISTRACT from the pane I am writing in.  And quite considerably.

So I flipped back to the desktop client, and could instantly see that the design looks old-fashioned in comparison, and doesn't follow the more up to date design tropes of more space around elements, simple line seperators and so on..

But for me, the colour contrast of the stuff I am only wanting to look at ocassionally is WAY better on the current desktop client.  Grey and light blue might be boring, but they sure as heck don't shout the house down contrast-wise like black and green do (on white).

So in the Beta, all of the elements on the page actually have the same weight, and kind of dance around in my peripheral vision when I'm trying to concentrate.  In fact I found that my eyes were constatly being 'dragged' left.  Hmmm..  Find a cool grey-green (and light grey for area seperators)..  or go all out and have a full-screen mode like several other apps do?

Also, I right away wanted to minimise that second left column and make it MUCH smaller, if not make it go away completely.  Prismatic.io manages this, I think, in a much clearer way.

Hope that's useful guys..but to summarise, too much contrast (way way too much), and the space around elements on a small screen actually crowds my focus not enhances it.  Granted I had one high-contrast image in a note to the left, but that can happen in use for sure!  If I had more than one image = chaos!

Thanks for the chance to give some feedback!

Iso

Have you tried the full screen button in the top right corner of the notes? I'm wondering if that would help a lot of your concern. 

FYI

I am going to try and keep the original list up to date with suggestions as they roll in.

I'm trying to be as objective as possible so that I can capture everyone's ideas.

If there's one thing Evernote is great at, it's listening to feedback in these forums and responding appropriately.

I've literally seen feedback given and UI changes made within days.  It's impressive to watch.

I'm glad this was rolled out as a beta and overall I'm liking a lot of the design choices made elsewhere.

For my money, the new Android design is about damn near perfect.

Thanks to @gbarry for creating this space to discuss.  Design is tricky and one's person tacky is another person's terrific.  I don't envy your job.

Serious props to the OP—this is a largely civil discussion on some passionate topics! My list echoes what has been said, but I'd like to add to the list:

• Mouse-over for the left-hand nav icons (you currently have to click into the shortcut, notebook, note, and tag lists—when switching between note streams quickly, that extra click is irritating)
  • Option to toggle formatting bar to appear on text select (as it currently does) or lock at the top, for notes with heavy text formatting

Other than that, everything else has been covered. Oh please bring back reminders and searching on the notebook and tag lists first!

I get that this is an early beta & many functions haven't been added yet, so I'll hold off on making complaints about the lack of essential features for now, but I just wanted to add something related to what Albert_CA_BA said. Personally I find the new design far MORE distracting and harder to work with, as suddenly I'm having demands placed on my working memory that weren't there before, rather than having everything in front of me so I can just switch between things or refer back to things as needed. As it stands, this design feels like it would be great for creating standalone quick notes or maintaining a very simple database of clippings, but all of the stuff that made Evernote so powerful feels like it would be much more time consuming, more effortful & less intuitive with the new version (even allowing for the fact that you haven't finished adding in all the features). I also hate the poor use of screen space, I'd much prefer a more "cramped" design so I can at least see multiple notes/notebooks/tags at a glance rather than endlessly scrolling through things. White space may look lovely but it's not very functional!

I am a chromebook owner and that requires me to use evernote web for a lot of functionality. One thing I really want to see in the web version is note highlighting!

I like the new web beta interface but I desperately need a way to highlight notes online in a separate way than just the web clipper. 

Another feature I would like is a skitch web client, but I bet that's a pipe dream.

I love Evernote but sometimes the fragmented feature set is frustrating

If it isn't already on the list, please add to the list ability to create hyperlinks in text. Can no longer add a link to text in a note by click or by shortcut key. I'm switching back to the older version. 

Update: Change to older version prevents me from editing or creating any new notes. So that's a no go.

Please also add to the list unable to save search, unable to view full screen in another tab, unable to email, and unable to view encrypted content. Geesh. 

I'd like to echo some of the feedback I already see. The new UI looks slick but seems much less functional to me. I use evernote for the Getting Things Done method of organization and the switch to the beta is making it really painful to use. In particular:

-Tags need to be displayed in a nested fashion (or make it an option to do so)

-Shortcuts feel pretty much useless as I have to click "Shortcuts" in the sidebar to open them up.

-Relating to shortcuts there is no DnD support which makes it frustrating to move notes to new notebooks, which I do frequently.

-Using the dropdown inside a note to move it to a different notebook seems to automatically switch your view to that notebook. I don't think this seems logical as you may want to go through a notebook and move several notes. (implementing DnD + shortcuts directly in the sidebar would make this moot)

-When you create a new note by hitting "+" it is not obvious how to quickly delete it without hitting "done" and then trashing it.

I like the cleaner more minimalist UI but I really don't think removing features is the right call here. It would still look very slick and provide a better UX if you put back/added the features I mentioned above. Hope you take this into consideration! 

Hey,

I think the design is really cool, but still needs some work.

I have quite a large screen for my home computer and the text area only fills something like 50% of my screen. It would like to adjust that.

The fades to the 'fullscreen mode' are not yet clear to me. When your start typing on a new note it'll auto-switch to fullscreen, but when you edit a note via 'notes', you have to click a button to go fullscreen... Maybe some consistency here?

I have no idea how to log out?! I didn't find anything about that yet. What's up with that?

Another feature that would be really cool is some sort of auto-scroll. When i'm typing long posts i find it really annoying when the text reaches the bottom of my screen and it stays there. Wouldn't it be possible to let the text auto-scroll up to, let's say, the middle of your screen. It would be a lot more comfortable that way to type lengthy notes.

Jasper

03 October 2014 - 07:57 PM

Everytime when i get into the evernote and when i look for notes , the latest updated (Date updated (newest first) ) notes coming first ,

If i change that into Date Created (newest first) , it's not getting saved permenently , 

everytime i have to change that into Date created(newest first) whenever i login or after restarting the browser .

so i need Date created (newest first ) to be default to me 

i never experienced this issue in old evernote , 

Actually, related to my original complaint about use of screen space, I thought that if you decide to keep this combination of whitespace, large text, wide spacing etc then perhaps you could offer customisation like gmail where they let us set the "display density". In gmail I alway have it set to "compact" as I prefer to have as much information visible on one page as possible, rather than filling the page with padding.

I agree with all of the above points about the limited feature set in the beta -- being able to manipulate nested notebooks and/or tags, as well as undertaking complex/saved searches are core features for a lot of us. One other thing to add to the list -- the option to print notes seems to have disappeared (unless I've missed it). That made me switch back straight away.

I think Evernote have a little difficulty understanding how important data density is to many heavy users of their service - the web beta looks like an extension of that lack of understanding.

Perfect assessment - my first reaction was that this was the "dumbed down" tablet version.  Absolutely need ability to see lots of my notes listed in nested fashion as a way to truly organize my thoughts.  In particular the lack of nested tags makes it unusable for me.  Only use case is for slamming in a quick note that I'll file later.  But if that is the case, I'll just use my mobile device - never the web app.

Hello!

I can't find any way to add geo coordinates to notes in the new web ui!

I'm a Linux user, and I was very happy with the old web UI! But the new one renders Evernote nearly useless for me! :-(

IMHO they need a full featured web UI are a native client for Linux... Just give us back a full featured web UI, and I will be happy again! (And continue to pay for evernote... ;-))

Bye

Tiggr

Hello,

Like many of the users, I have been experiencing some difficulties with the new Beta. This might have been something that I missed, but I would really like to open and  edit multiple notes at a time (pop-out feature in the old-beta). While there is a full-screen mode for the note, I cannot have multiple notes open in different windows. This makes it difficult to refer to two notes at a time.

Thanks!

Talk about fast iterations.

I'm seeing some Reminders functionality today and my Saved Searches are showing up in Shortcuts.

Good stuff.

Nice! I can see a little bit too. Just to confirm, are you noticing only a reminders list at the top of a notebook, but no tools for applying a reminder directly to a note?

I'm using the beta. I'm an Evernote Business subscriber. I'm not sure that this (paid) offering has been considered in the design:

• Under the previous web interface it was pretty much impossible (I think it was impossible, in fact) to move notes from a personal notebook to a business notebook, though it was/is just about possible in the mobile versions.
  • It's still impossible under the new web interface
  • Mass movement of notes, even if the design supported it, is not possible without multi-select

From a blog entry at EN, Jan 2013:

"One of the first things current Evernote users will want to do when they join their company’s Evernote Business account is migrate existing work-related notes from their Personal Notebooks to new Business Notebooks."

... it then goes on to recommend multi-select.

I have to say the current integration of business notebooks, across the piece, is clunky; I had hoped it would be addressed in the new design. I wouldn't (and don't) recommend Evernote Business as an option until it is raised to something more than an afterthought.

I like the look of the new version, but it seems to be much better for writing notes than it is for reading and looking through them.  The biggest complaint there is that the information is far too sparsely displayed.  On my 1080p monitor I can only see 5 notes at a time with Chrome maximized.  I also don't like that the notebook/tag/etc. panes disappear the instant you select something.  I would much rather have at least an option to have them remain-- it's tedious to have to go back and click the option on the left bar again every time, and there's so much horizontal space that isn't being used on a 16:9 monitor!

I'd also like to second the desire for a dark/night mode, at least for the editor.  Editing for too long on a white background is eye-killing for me.

Edit: The editing also seems to be more geared toward working on a tablet than on a device with a mouse and keyboard.  The fact that the editing options (fonts, colors, etc.) pop up whenever I select text is somewhat annoying, as it obscures text on the next line.  I would much rather have this docked at the top of the editor, like normal (or, again, at least an option to do so).

Talk about fast iterations.

I'm seeing some Reminders functionality today and my Saved Searches are showing up in Shortcuts.

Good stuff.

Nice! I can see a little bit too. Just to confirm, are you noticing only a reminders list at the top of a notebook, but no tools for applying a reminder directly to a note?

Hey Ian,

Yes, that is what I'm seeing.  Maybe we'll get some more updates this week.

I'm pushing myself to use the new beta while I'm at work.  I even used it to create a note.  One big problem I noticed is that when I created a new note and it scrolled down a bit, there was no way to get back up really go anywhere.  I think I ended up refreshing the page.

Hi everybody,

I just want to share my experience with the beta version - mostly to the evernote guys, but if some other users can help, I appreciate a thousand times!

1) I don't get how I can search across multiple shared notebooks. Everytime I log in, I have to select the notebook I want to search in. After I opend it for the first time, I can select it as a search option (but only after loading it once). But still, I can only search one notebook at a time and not select multiple... am I missing something?

2) Please add a permanent search bar. The additional click is reducing my productivity. It's like google, but first you have to open the search bar from a menu. In my case, I first have to open the shared notebook and if I do not remember which one it is, I have to go through each of them. So searching went from the one click killer feature to the average 5-10 click I am in pain feature. In my opinion, the search function is the core functionality of evernote.

3) Shared notebooks I added to my favorites do not show up as favorites online, but have an empty space (which links correctly).

4) I didn't find any button to give feedback in the beta. I wouldn't mind to give feedback with a convenient text field somwhere in the beta. I think, you would get more feedback for little things.

5) Please let me turn off the beta version. Where can I do that?

6) Other than that, I think it is a good approach to reduce clutter and make everything minimalistic and clean. However, never ever make the search function in any way less powerful than it was before. How much worse is it? I am actually considering to run Linux in a virtual machine on a mac host in order to have the mac desktop app on the host. And for somebody developing on Linux that is going quite far.

After all: Awesome work with the desktop app: I love it.

One more thing: Links to other notes are trying to open the Desktop app (which is great working on the desktop app). However, I would prefer if a link to a note in the webapp would open it in the web app (since many people are probably using the webapp when they don't want or cannot use the desktop app i.e. on Linux).

We use several notes linking to each other to organize manuals at work. If I am in the web app I now have to search for each link sepparately which is super cumbersome and takes a lot of time.

Also the going back and forth buttons are absent which made this process extremely swift in the desktop app (not sure about the old web app).

I've noticed the search function seems very buggy - sometimes it just doesn't work at all (I type the word I'm searching for, hit return, and... nothing! Or it just shows all of my notes, not just the ones containing the search term).

I second the request from basilweibel for a feedback link in the beta, there have been a few things I've thought of whilst using it that I have completely forgotten now, whereas if there was a really easy way to send feedback from within the beta I'd probably have just sent a quick note then & there.

basilweibel: you can turn the beta off via the settings (cog icon bottom left)

@basilweibel: There is a pinned topic on the main forum page that describes opting out of the Beta.

In terms of searching, I'm not sure why you're only getting it one Notebook.  When I goto Search from the left hand nav, I see that it's doing my search in "your notebooks", which leads me to believe it's searching all of them.

UPDATE:

In other news, I'm seeing that Reminders have been added to notes.  So I guess an update went in last night.  No release notes yet.

I love the idea of a clean writing interface for... Writing. It was my main issue with the current version. 

I would love to see something like Markdown enabled for note writings (to quickly create titles, subtitles, footnotes and lists), so we can structure content without having to reach for the mouse.  

• Level 5*

I would love to see something like Markdown enabled for note writings (to quickly create titles, subtitles, footnotes and lists), so we can structure content without having to reach for the mouse.  

You might check this third-party Markdown tool out: https://discussion.evernote.com/topic/61145-marxico-the-missing-markdown-editor-for-evernote/

@Saskia: Thanks for the turn off hint. Unfortunately I can't follow. The icon brings up the settings page. In which section can I turn it off? I have the german equivalents of Account Summary, Personal Settings, Reminders, Points, Safty (with subcategories) and Payments (with subcategories).

@righteousdork: I guess it also searches all my personal notebooks (didn't test though). However, it does only search one shared notebook at a time (owned by other evernote users). My problem is that I have a lot of shared notebooks and mainly work with those.

Hello,

Like many of the users, I have been experiencing some difficulties with the new Beta. This might have been something that I missed, but I would really like to open and  edit multiple notes at a time (pop-out feature in the old-beta). While there is a full-screen mode for the note, I cannot have multiple notes open in different windows. This makes it difficult to refer to two notes at a time.

Thanks!

Came here to say this myself. Being stuck in one note is incredibly frustrating.

Awesome that we're now seeing reminders on notes and notebooks. That addition brought it up enough to where I can actually try to start using the beta as the main web client. Now that I'm doing that, I wanted to suggest another hugely helpful feature for navigating the dense network of data Evernote helps you create:

• search by tag or notebook
  • Interestingly, this could be simultaneously implemented by a UI double-click on the tag at note level, similar to how a gmail label on an individual email runs a search for that label

That would save a lot of scroll time when tracking down individual notes when searching won't work.

Things that would be helpful in Web Beta:

1. When doing checkboxes, would like it to automatically create when I finish the first one and press "enter".  Right now i have to go click back and add another checkbox manually.
  2. Ability to add nested notebooks

So far this thing is looking great guys, love the clean interface and hope this becomes the new standard for the windows, mac, and IOS apps.  Keep up the great work!

Suggestion: How about a button to see recent files or recent notes (and being able to select from that list)? This would save the need to click Notebooks, then clicking on the relevant note. It would also be an alternative to using Tag searching. Sometimes (a lot of times) I just want to go to the note that I worked on a few hours ago.

Is this existing functionality but I can't find/see it in BETA Web GUI?

(Edited to add clarification to initial suggestion)

• Level 5*

1) I don't get how I can search across multiple shared notebooks. Everytime I log in, I have to select the notebook I want to search in. After I opend it for the first time, I can select it as a search option (but only after loading it once). But still, I can only search one notebook at a time and not select multiple... am I missing something?

Er, missed this: Evernote search allows you to search one notebook or one stack (a collection of notebooks) at a time; otherwise it's all notebooks. https://dev.evernote.com/doc/articles/search_grammar.php#Search_Terms

Night mode. White on screen HURTS eyes (especially now that there's more empty white space). There can even be a feature to introduce multiple color schemes. But really,

Bless your heart.  Yes!  I always switch to dark/night mode on apps and sites that allow it.  So much easier on my eyes.

Bless your heart.  Yes!  I always switch to dark/night mode on apps and sites that allow it.  So much easier on my eyes.

Wow, yes. Thanks for bringing this suggestion back up mhpdx. There's still time for Evernote to be current on this increasingly standard UI feature. This would be a fantastic addition to the web client, especially given the whole ease-of-use, distraction-free user experience they're going for with the redesign. 

I agree with @mhpdx and @Ian Greaves, this is a very good idea. Maybe Evernote can implement it as color themes.

This can help a lot of users and can provide more accessibility with preset themes (high/low contrast options).

Some (more) requests:

Ability to drag and drop folders and notes, and sorting ad re-arranging of shortcuts. The ability to insert files (pdfs at the very least) from computer or cloud into a note There are many basic features of the Desktop client that are missing from the web beta client like these.

The ordering of notebooks in reminders has changed from A-Z to....don't know? Date notebook created with latest first??

For me this is a horrible user experience. I have a notebook I use for my normal tasks which I want to see at the top and then have other notebooks below ordered to my preference. I renamed my notebooks using symbols (e.g !) to get them in the order I liked and now there's no way I can see to replicate this..

Any help/tips much appreciated and the ability to order notebooks when looking at reminders or to go back to alphabetical sort much appreciated..

If you want people to share documents for editing, there has to be a way that a different font colour can be selected at the beginning of a 2nd, 3rd, 4th etc. editing process to make visible all the edits that will be made subsequently during that process. (Something similar exists in Word. You click on, say, blue, and then any changes you make automatically appear in blue.) 

If you are making a lot of edits to a document, it is simply not practical to be selecting text and changing the font of each individual edit ( :angry:), which is what you have to do at the moment. You go mad. There has to some way of having all your edits "automatically" rendered in a font which differs from the previous versions.

I think what I am requesting is absolutely essential for sharing.  :) 

I don't know if it would be easy for you to implement, though.  :huh: 

There's a lot I like about the web beta, but one thing I would suggest is allowing more room for note titles. The web beta only displays four or five words at most. There are a lot of use cases for longer notes titles, including capturing long titles from clipped web content, to-do items (I use Evernote for to-do lists with each note representing a single action item), and including searchable key words to reduce the need for tagging (I'm not big on tagging). That's not all but I'm sure you get the idea.

I do feel the web beta is going in the right direction in terms of design and usability and I look forward to seeing how it progresses.

I agree. The Web beta has a lot going for it and I'm constantly switching back and forth between it and the old version. Other than some quirky things like sometimes Reminders don't show up, I only have one major complaint.

Information Density

I know the designers probably don't want a bunch of user configurable options, but I feel like there needs to be a discussion on what the right balance is for information density. Right now I can glance at only 4 or 5 notes and that just isn't enough for me.

I feel like there needs to be some additional views. There should be options for seeing tags, larger note titles, etc. In the other apps, this is handled by giving users different views. I feel I like that's needed here as well. It just makes sense. Sometimes you need to see your data from different perspectives.

Please bring back:

- open note in separate window

- stacks

- (Visible) shortcuts. Not really a shortcut if I have to click "Shortcuts" in the sidebar to open them up.

- original source link at top of note

- highlighting

- geo coordinates

Notes/books in list:

- to drag and drop to move notes to new notebooks,

- and multi select and merge 

Also, bug I noticed: Switched from sort by “date created (newest first)” to “date updated (newest first)” and ended up with 7 versions of the same note, in various stages of edit, and lost edits.

(Using Chrome, in OSX 10.10.1)

Just want to second @gigiwasabi on the multiple note select. This is currently the only feature that keeps me going back and forth between the beta and the old web client. Since merging notes is one of the most powerful features of the desktop and web clients, here's my vote to add all of the multiple note select features to the next web release!

I generally like the redesign, but there are some old features missing in the beta and one feature I hate.

I hate the new share icon adopted from Apple/iOS. To me, it suggests uploading a file or a window pop-out. Please give users the option of switching to the generic share icon used by Google/Android and others — or just adopt it as the default.

Missing features that need to be restored (some of which staff have already said will be):

• a way to cancel/discard a newly created note without having to save it first then delete it
  • share by email
  • saved searches
  • reminders

There also needs to be an always present, easy way to get back to the main home view with the expanded sidebar that you start off in when you sign in. Once I leave it, I don't see any way to get back.

Thank you for the feedback. We are continuing to add more features into the Beta and it's improving with each web release.  Of the ones in this list, here is the list of features that are now available and working:

• Moving notes to stacks (creating stacks will be in a later release)
  • Link creation (from editing toolbar available after highlighting)
  • Share via email (from the Share dropdown menu) 
  • Saved searches (creating new saved searches will be in a later release)
  • Reminders

Thank you everyone for your patience. 

• share by email
  • saved searches
  • reminders

Thank you for the feedback. We are continue to add more features into the Beta and it's improving with each web release.  Of the ones in this list, here is the list of features that are now available and working:

• Moving notes to stacks (creating stacks will be in a later release)
  • Link creation (from editing toolbar available after highlighting)
  • Share via email (from the Share dropdown menu) 
  • Saved searches (creating new saved searches will be in a later release)
  • Reminders

Thank you everyone for your patience. 

No problem.  I, for one, appreciate the way the Web Beta has been handled.  When it first came out, it was a little jarring but like a lot of Evernote products, it just gets better with time.  Making it a beta and letting people dip in and dip out is the way to do these things.  Right now I'm forcing myself to use it more to provide feedback where I can and there is a lot to like there.  I definitely appreciate the ability to switch back instantly if needed.

Where I think Evernote goes wrong is in releasing products with little to no user input.  The latest Mac release and the flurry of negativity surrounding it is a good example of that.  I was using the beta of the program and was enjoying v6 and then boom...visual overhaul.  That was truly unexpected and unwelcome.

I want Evernote to keep pushing the boundaries but just make sure you bring your users along with you for the ride.

I can't believe it took me so long to hit this issue :-)

The web beta does not support RTL (right-to-left) languages such as Arabic and Hebrew. I can right-align the text as a temporary measure, but that can result in unordered sentences and punctuation (I'm ok if I don't use any punctuation, but that's ok only for shorter notes).

Intermixing RTL and LTR texts yields even more interesting results, where the sentence begins mid-line, right after the LTR text, and ends at the beginning of line.

post-57314-0-29090100-1421692357_thumb.j

I'm a big fan of the web beta. I must not be a power user, so the clean, uncluttered look is welcomed.

I skimmed through these posts and didn't see this mentioned... 

Would be nice if you "Remove Formatting" from highlighted text in a note. I find that with the Web Beta it is hard to make text that I copy/paste into the note look consistent. Even if I use the formatting bar to set the same font, size, and style, the text looks different. Thinking of the Gmail "Remove Formatting" feature.

Also, if you select text and then click the font or size on the formatting bar, it does not show you which font or size is currently selected (all items are white with no indication of which is applied).

It is nice to be able to just focus on one note while typing, though I'm not sure it should be the only way to edit/write/create a new note. Also how do I open a note in a new tab? I can't figure it out.

One thing I noticed right off the bat is my list of shortcuts is gone. Yes I can click to bring it back, but honestly I don't like that. One thing I like about the old/current UI is my shortcuts are right there at all times. It makes it must faster to quickly switch between things over and over. I know it's one click, but it's one click I'd be making every few seconds sometimes, so it would get really annoying really fast.

Why does the note info cover up everything else on the screen? I like how in the desktop version I can still see everything. Also when are going to be able to change the dates of note from the web version? The desktop has had this feature for how long now?

I guess right now I don't really like it because I don't feel in control of it. It has inconstant / unpredictable behavior. For example shortcuts has a little flyout, so does notebooks and tags. But the all notes thing? No it opens this weird center-aligned list. They're close, therefore related, therefore should behave the same.  And why is account a D? Shouldn't it be like gear or that 3 line stack thing? Honestly I saw it and at first though it was a rather odd looking ad. And why does hovering over bullet list and attachment icons show the option for insert a table? That just doesn't make any sense. Neither does the done button, I keep not wanting to click it because my first thought is this will close my note, but I don't want that, I just want the rest of the UI.

And I'm definitely not a fan of the in your face in the way formatting that only appears when text is highlighted. I didn't like in when Microsoft started doing it, and I still don't like it now. I highly prefer something like google docs where it's a simple row, and if I want I can hide everything that isn't needed. Or gmail, where it's not there until I click a formatting option (the A I think) and then the row appears there not in my text/content. That way I wouldn't need to type something, highlight it, then set it as bold. I prefer to switch to bold then type. 

Sorry if others have mentioned these points before.

PAGE BREAKS

The fact that you cant put page breaks into a document makes the printing of a particular page within a longer document extremely tedious. 

What you would like to be on page 24 is often half on page 25 and the cost in terms of time spent fiddling with formatting to get this right is prohibitive.  :mellow: 

As someone who uses the web interface and Android client almost exclusively, I need an export capability to create a local backup of my notes.  Also, I'll add another vote for a compact list view of notes (in a notebook, as the result of a search, etc.)

Please consider having the font options toolbar popup somewhere other than right beneath the text highlighted.

Every time I highlight something, the massive toolbar pops up and obscures the next 3 lines of text. Most of the time I'm not even trying to change the font size/colour/whatever - I just want to copy and paste, but I'm obstructed by the massive toolbar.

I love decluttered designs. But if you "declutter" by moving a toolbar from the edge of the page to bang in the middle of the page where I'm trying to read and type, that's the opposite of decluttering.

I'd recommend putting the toolbar at the bottom or side of the page, and have it remain invisible until text is highlighted.

Other than the toolbar nuisance, I really do love the new design!

According to the pinned posts the last update for the web interface was April 1. Can we please find out what the status is, mainly whether you're going to keep the new interface? Or are you going to revert back to the 3-pane view?

The beta version is too frustrating for me to use and is not practical for anyone who needs to often switch between notebooks. As I continue adding data to the prod version of the web client (I have to use the web version due to linux), I keep wondering if I'm going to have to go back to OneNote so I can easily see my notebooks. I'd rather know this now instead of spending months adding data only to have to import it back into OneNote.  thanks.

Another vote here for nested tags. 

Many GTD users such as myself rely heavily on tag nesting because tags are just so much more flexible than stacked notebooks.

I rely on the web version at work so I'm afraid I will have to cancel my Premium and look elsewhere for a work-friendly productivity app if tag nesting doesn't return. 

Thank you for the opportunity to try the beta. I am still constantly having to switch back and agree with many of the comments here. 

My request is to bring back the ability to specify the number of rows and columns in a table - the current selector is way too restrictive at six rows. In the existing system, it's simple - I just have to fill out the number of rows and columns that I want and how much of the page to use - much more flexible!

• Reminders
  • Saved Searches
  • Nested Tags (Tag hierarchy)
  • Maybe less white space
  • Multi-select Notes
  • A way to cancel/discard a newly created note without having to save and delete it.

• Notebook stacks visible from the notebook drop down menu in the note editor.

• Always present option to get back to the home view.

• Share icon design.

• Note list view

• Night mode / Color contrast options

• More Keyboard Shortcuts (if possible in a browser)

• Mouse-over on nav icons

• Option to toggle formatting bar so that it’s always present

• Note highlighting and annotation

• Share notes via email

UPDATE:

I will try to keep the list up to date with suggestions and ideas from others. 

I do agree you most of what you say and I'd also add the following:

Main issues, in order:

1-lack of possibility to open multiple notes (open in new window);

2-no resizing (really, I can't have EN on full screen the whole time!);

3-HUGE delay;

4-text at the end of the screen don't show unless you throw in a bunch or ENTERs to make it go up;

5-text formatting requires too many clicks OR the use of the floating tool bar which I hate because of 3 and 4;

6-reminder set ends when you click the date, so I always have to go back to edit the time! a "done" button solve this.

Bottom line: it is nice to have access to my notes online but that I can do from my smartphone. From a web app I'd expect a more powerful creation/editing tool or at least the ability to work with multiple notes. The old web version was already all I could ask for.

Hey everyone.  Sorry I've been away for a while.  

I've gone back to the original list of feature requests and checked off a lot of things.  I've added some more items as well.  Overall I feel like a lot of progress has been made on the tool.  Way to go Evernote! 

I still find myself switching back and forth, even though I prefer a lot of the visual elements in the new design.  Here's my hot list of items:

• Reminders -  They look great when they work.  Sometimes the section with Reminders disappears entirely.  I can't recreate the behavior but reloading the page seems to fix it.
  • Information density - Overall there's just too much white space and not enough data.  This is great when I want a distraction free, note creation experience.  It doesn't work so well with finding, searching, and overall note management.  Try zooming out to about 75% in Chrome and see the difference.
  • Note creation - As you get to the bottom of the screen, the information doesn't scroll.  As someone else mentioned, you end up adding a bunch of returns to get to the bottom.
  • Pasting images from the clipboard - This would be an awesome feature to add, if possible.  I use this a lot on the desktop client to paste confirmations from bills paid (for example).
  • Search mode - The terms used in the search take up A LOT of space in the resulting search view.

Nice! I love it when there's follow-thru on existing issues, instead of starting a new discussion from scratch.

I've seen improvement in the Beta too, but I am reluctant to wade back in and re-evaluate it, and to re-test all my earlier issues and bugs until I see a more definite statement from the dev team that it's going to lead somewhere.

Off topic, but worth noting: I have seen *some* (but not nearly all or most) of the long-standing nuisance bugs in the production Android and Windows clients being addressed at long last.

That's progress, keep going devs!

- John

Hey everyone.  Sorry I've been away for a while.  

I've gone back to the original list of feature requests and checked off a lot of things.  I've added some more items as well.  Overall I feel like a lot of progress has been made on the tool.  Way to go Evernote! 

Hi,

I have a feature request:

Long titles should wrap both in the list (left column) and note preview (right column).

Right now, they don't wrap in either. This is annoying for me. The title doesn't even wrap when I expand the note (top right button).

Cheers,

MwP

Tried beta for about 30 seconds and had to revert back. 

1) I really don't like this light airy interface design that is sweeping UI lately. It hides features. Making the whole interface look like one page with now boundaries doesn't help a user see what to do where. 

2) More functionally, I use EN as an organizational system. So I want to be able to see my favorites, tags, and notebooks all the time. Right now I can't work on a note and see them at the same time. So when I want to go to another project (notebook), I have first click on notebooks to show them and then select. REALLY inefficient. I'm guessing this change was made under the assumption that people are working on one note for a long time (like a paper or code) and classification is a secondary but less frequent task. For me, most of what I do in evernote is classification of my notes (which are short items, e.g., one note per to-do task). 

So at least make favorites, tags, notebook lists pinnable so that I can see them all the time. I'll probably have to give up EN if I can't do that in the web interface. 

I agree,  I REALLY DO NOT LIKE the new interface.  It is like telling a automotive designer to design a car that allows the driver to focus on driving and in response he removes the radio, warning lights, cruise control and anything else that is not essential to the immediate task at hand and hides them all behind a panel on the dash.  I don't need simplicity in creating a new note.  I need speed and utility in searching for and browsing though the notes that I have already created.  I need a system to bring VISIBLE order to the chaos that is my research, not hide it all in a drawer!  Evernote, PLEASE don't make the beta version mandatory!!  Make it an optional "streamlined" format for those that like it.  I don't!

Great analogy!

Archived