Bluetooth keyboard problem

I'm a premium Evernote 7.2.1 user on an iPad 3 with a Zagg Bluetooth keyboard.

Lately (after version 7), I find that typing in Evernote results in a LOT of duplicated keystrokes. Or should I say keyy dduplicaation? ;) I notice that often the duplication is preceded by a small hitch where keystrokes are slow in registering.

Now, I know that key duplication is seen as a hardware, bluetooth issue, but not so in this case. I use numerous other apps and do a good deal of typing in them, and only Evernote has this problem.

Safari, TapForms, Mail, Facebook, NONE of these apps display even the slightest trouble with key duplication.

I have tried everything. Rebooting the iPad, disconnecting and "forgetting" the keyboard, closing down every app but Evernote, etc. Nothing works. Key duplication continues to show up in Evernote and nowhere else.

Please take a look into this. I'm at the point of wanting to back up all my old notes, cancel my subscription, and move to an app that captures what I type and doesn't require a massive spellcheck later.

• 4 months later...

I too, am having the exact same issue but on a different platform.  I have a Google Nexus 10 using a bluetooth keyboard.  I use the BT keyboard on other apps on my Nexus 10 in which I do a lot of typing, this behavior is NOT exhibited on those other apps, just in Evernote.  I've tried the same things that "tocath" has tried, with no change.  Please investigate since I do use Evernote heavily and it became quite frustrating taking notes and fixing the duplicates while trying to keep up with what was going on in my meetings..

Using Evernote for Android Tablet Version 5.8.1

Thanks.

• 4 months later...

There seems to be a problem using a BT keyboard (Logitech Type+) to enter notes into Evernote notes. Each keystroke results in a duplicate character in the Evernote note. This problem is new since I updated to iOS 8.0.2.

This duplicate keystroke is not a problem in other iPad apps including iOS Notes and Swiftkey. It's unique to Evernote.

• 3 weeks later...

Oh god yes I am having this problem on many notes and it is getting worse. I have a long long running support ticket #740648 open - sending info, etc. I have an iPad and Logitech bluetooth keyboard. It is consistently on many notes - first letter typed is DD duplicated, and returns are duplicated, and back space to remove returns is duplicated. It's made my iPad and evernote unusable. I've got my whole team using this now and really stuck. 

I have 7.6.0 released 10/31/14. Again, I also have a support ticket open. I filmed a video demostrating the problem. Not sure what more I can do to help the support team isolate and fix the problem. Doesn't occur in ipad keypad, w/o the bluetooth keyboard.

Posted · Hidden by charboyd, February 26, 2015 - spam
Hidden by charboyd, February 26, 2015 - spam

hi...

Bluetooth Keyboard:

Bluetooth Keyboard is an ultrathin portable and compact device that can easily be installed with your any smart device to work smoothly and freely. Although new smart devices has replaced the usage of traditional keyboard but bluetooth keyboard brings innovation for the keyboard users. It is an ultrathin multifunctioning device that has easy access over devices. It supports multisystem and compatible with almost every device including system, smart TV, projector, laptop, tablet, network HD player without the hassle of connectors or wires.if you are facing problem then i suggest you visit feyeshoppy.;it is an online shopping store for best bluetooth gadgets.

bluetooth keyboard

Posted · Hidden by charboyd, February 26, 2015 - spam
Hidden by charboyd, February 26, 2015 - spam

Hello...

Bluetooth keyboard is an electronic gadgets that offers you high speed an easy working on same platform with saving your extra space. One can use multiple techniques with this new bluetooth keybards however we found some problems like less connectivity as depends on the bluetooth connectivity and it may be that it is difficult to connect or may be connection get loss often but FEYE offers you best deal with solving such issues. you can choose best....

bluetooth keyboard

• 2 weeks later...

I am still experiencing this problem. Now have two tickets opened 793769 --> 740648. I've sent logs a few times now, and a video demonstrating the behavior. I've upgraded to the latest iOS version 7.6.1.312866  - I've deleted and redownloaded the app several times. The behavior continues. My Logitech keyboard works perfectly in all other apps - it's just Evernote where this duplicate keystroke is occurring.  What will it take to get this the right attention? 

• Level 5*

I appreciate it's frustrating,  but you can't force the company to abandon all other priorities and fix one issue - if it is fixable by Evernote,  which isn't yet clear.  Posting here is a good way to raise awareness;  submitting a bug report via the support ticket link below would be another..

Not sure how I'm forcing anything or setting priorities for the development team. I've both posted here and submitted a support ticket. Are you an employee or just trying to educate me how to engage a company that I'm paying for a service? 

I have the exact same problem.

I am also Premium user with Evernote 7.62.

My devices are iPad Air with iOS 8.1.1, Logitech Bluetooth Keyboard.

Like Tocath, only Evernote have key duplication. No other apps have this issue.

Therefore this issue should be handled by Evernote.

Due to key duplication, especially return(enter), space, - keys,

I am really considering change my note apps from Evernote to other.

Until now, I couldn't find a proper app. However it doesn't make long time.

I hope really Evernote resolve this issue.

• 3 weeks later...

I am having the same issue. I was holding out for my new iPad Air 2 and new logitech keyboard to solve the problem but there it was again. It make writing notes unbearable. Any help would really help in stopping me having to find an alternative (I use this app 5 hours a day)! thanks.

• 3 weeks later...

Also have this issue. Although not a Premium user. Use Logitech keyboard. I noticed that the duplication only occurs at a start of a new line. I.e. when cursor is at this poin / all keys duplicate. Even enter, space, error up and down.

Any solution to this issue, Evernote staff?

• 1 month later...
  • 4 weeks later...

I work with an Ipad 4th generation (only wifi, ios lates version) with keyboard Kensington KeyFolio Pro 2. It worked fine for a long time with evernote. Now it has this annoying problem, only with evernote. 

(I really liked FlashForward)

• 2 weeks later...

I finally gave up and downloaded OneNote to my iPad, phone, personal and work computer. So far it really meets my needs - does appear to be a few features missing, but nothing that prevents me from getting what I need done. The strong pluses - the layout is consistent across all devices and far more intuitive - the notebook has pages with tabs across the top - very easy layout, and again consistent across devices. Unfortunately after all this time parting ways with Evernote and deactivated my premium account renewal.  

Dear Burnett, I'm thinking to switch to OneNote, what about updating across devices? When I chose evernote, I noticed that updating was faster. With OneNote+OneDrive I needed hours to have the notebooks updated on different devices. 

• 2 weeks later...

Hi Friday, I haven't noticed any updating problems nor the ever present "synching error" notes in OneNote that I frequently had with Evernote. I will say the feature richness is definitely higher with EN vs ON - many simple things that EN does that ON doesn't (sorting recently updated notes to the top, etc.).  But things so far that work for me better in ON  - 1) consistent look/feel in any computer, browser, or iOS phone/ipad app, and 2) formatting is simple - not fighting formatting freakiness consistently,  3) no longer have double keystroke, double return problem on my iPad and Logistic keyboard (biggest driver to change). 

I will share it was an effort to migrate my notes - lots of cutting, pasting, editing. But once the drive is strong enough to switch, it's worth it. I do wish everyone luck with this problem - it maybe only a small number of users have it. So they can either accept all the double keystrokes, switch devices, or switch applications.

Good luck!

• 2 weeks later...

Good news?

I tried same keyboard, same evernote account on my iphone and it works fine. I tried re-installing the keyboard on the ipad and now it seems ok. I mean setting - bluetooth - forget this device, and re-pairing. 

I let you know if the problem appears again.

Thank you!!

Now I need to a consistent swiss french hardware keyboard with italian language, but this is an apple problem :-)

When is this issue going to be resolved? It's been over two years and I'm still struggling with keystroke duplication.

Issue: Duplicate keystrokes (LLike thiis) and duplicate backspace and enter keystrokes.

Keyboards used: Logitech Bluetooth, Zagg Portfolio Bluetooth

iPad OS 8.0

Does not occur with any app other than Evernote

• 1 month later...

For what it's worth, I've had this problem for months, probably a bit worse over time.  I have an iPad 3 with 16GB storage and amn using a Logitech Bluetooth keyboard.  It is always a duplicate keystroke at the beginning of a new line and nowhere else.  It does not occur when I first open a note, but starts happening once I get about a page into writing it.  Then, I start a new paragraph, it pauses briefly to catch up to my typing, then the double problem, ever time.

My theory was that perhaps it was a combination of a relatively older (and slower) machine plus too much on-device storage of EN data plus the memory being taken up by the current note.  Might be, but other people on this thread have said upgrading has not solved the problem for them.  Regardless, it's problematic at work, where I use EN extensively.

• 1 month later...

Same problem here as well. I am using an iPad 4 with the Apple bluetooth keyboard. When typing in Evernote the first character of certain words (often seems to be just the start of a sentence) is repeated. Newlines and backspaces to delete newlines also often repeat.

I have tested the keyboard in a number of other applications and they all work fine. Just this morning I have used Apple's Notes app, Safari, and OnePassword, and typing has been completely fine in all of them, so I'm pretty certain this is an Evernote-specific issue.

I have tried making the iPad 'forget' the keyboard and re-pairing them, this had no noticeable effect. I will try deleting Evernote next but it's not exactly an ideal solution, particularly as it sounds like the problem will eventually return.

Although I only ever use Evernote for rough notes it's still a frustrating problem since the misspellings and inconsistent paragraph spacing are very distracting. Plus it creates an extra step for every document where I have to go through and fix the problem on my computer.

• 3 months later...

Hi all, I've been using a HHKB connected to a bluetooth adapter with my ipad mini for well over a year and this issue has also been consistently bugging me... But apart from this issue being unique to Evernote, I've also only just noticed something rather interesting recently...

The issue seems to occur only when the ipad is oriented in landscape mode, and goes away when in portrait mode. Can someone else confirm if this is true for them too?

• 2 months later...
On November 7, 2015 at 5:37 PM, wholedragon said:

The issue seems to occur only when the ipad is oriented in landscape mode, and goes away when in portrait mode. Can someone else confirm if this is true for them too?

I can confirm that double keystrokes occur when in landcape mode and do not occur in portrait.

Evernote: will you fix this?

• 2 months later...

After purchasing OneNote, I can assure users of Evernote that it is much better.  Reasons I would give are stability, feature-rich, more flexible note-taking design,and,of course, iPad users with Bletooth keyborads working in landscape don't have to worry about double keystrokes.

The double keystroke issue is not something they can fix, it would seem.  This made the app impossible for me to use because of the mess it caused and the time it sucked from my productivity.

Having worked in Evernote for so long, I was unsure about switching, but can report it has been a relief in my experience.

• 3 months later...
  • 3 months later...

Using Samsung Galaxy S7 (SAMSUNG-SM-G9301).  In past week, have been getting duplicate key strokes for numbers and characters.  If I add a <space>, the problem does not occur.  Tried deleting and re-installing Evernote, but problem continues.  Using latest version.  Not using an external keyboard.  Not having any problems with text entry in any other of my Samsung apps.

Tried contacting Evernote.  Followed the instructions for submitting an Activity Log, but no email address provided for mailing!!

Any suggestions?

On 11/6/2016 at 7:35 PM, Custisjm said:

Using Samsung Galaxy S7 (SAMSUNG-SM-G9301).  In past week, have been getting duplicate key strokes for numbers and characters.  If I add a <space>, the problem does not occur.  Tried deleting and re-installing Evernote, but problem continues.  Using latest version.  Not using an external keyboard.  Not having any problems with text entry in any other of my Samsung apps.

Tried contacting Evernote.  Followed the instructions for submitting an Activity Log, but no email address provided for mailing!!

Any suggestions?

The solution is to work in portrait mode.  Duplication will occur in landscape mode. 

Evernote is unable to fix this.

For the record, I always (or nearly so) use Evernote in the portrait mode on my Galaxy S7.  That is the only mode in which I have seen the problem.

I write this after I have responded to Matt W. about using the Evernote Beta -- and it has helped a lot.

1 hour ago, gazumped said:

Not strictly true..

After several years of this issue persisting, it would appear to be true until they fix the duplication issue.

That said, I will be over the moon when you link to anything proving that Evernote has indeed fixed the issue.

• Level 5*
4 hours ago, NickMathis said:

I will be over the moon when you link to anything proving that Evernote has indeed fixed the issue.

You could always join the beta program and try out the new system...

Archived