[Bug] New notes deleted when upload limit reached

isomerase

It would be great if someone opened a ticket for me (I don't have premium). done

Expected behavior:

When upload limit is reached, new notes created in Evernote Desktop will be saved, only locally, until cycle resets. After the cycle resets, the pending notes get synced.

Observed behavior:

• Creating a new note by selecting "New Note" and pasting using Ctrl-V immediately causes the "Upload Limit Reached" dialog for each time you hit Ctrl-V. When you navigate away from the note, the note is blanked out. This is also true if just try typing text into a note. Happens unless you use a local notebook.
  • Creating a new note by selecting "New Note" and attaching a file immediately causes the "Upload Limit Reached" dialog for each time try to add an attachment. The note is blanked when you navigate away. Happens unless you use a local notebook.
  • Creating a note using the web clipper (settings set to send to desktop, not Evernote Web) makes the "clipping" overlay apear, but no note is created and no error is shown.
  • Creating a note using the Win+PrtScn allows you to select an area to capture, but does not create a new note. When you do go to desktop, there will be one upload limit dialog for each time you tried to do a screen capture.

Since (A) Evernote only works as expected when creating notes in a local notebook, and ( B) you cannot set local notebooks as the default notebook, and © Evernote web clipper for Firefox & Win+PrtScn does not allow you to specifiy which notebook to save to, Evernote is deleting all my notes now that my upload limit is reached (I almost exclusively use the web clipper and screenshot feature).

I'm also pretty pissed in the manner which I figured all this out. I was going through pdfs and using Win+PrtScn to clip important parts. Sometime in the course of this, my upload limit was reached without my knowing, and I continued to clip my pdfs. When I checked Evernote, I had dozens upon dozens of "Upload Limit Reached" dialogs and hours of clipping had been lost. ಠ_ಠ

• Level 5*

Lessee..

You can create a support request (see below) - no-one else can do it for you.  S'far as I know you could also upgrade to premium for a month to use the chat line.

The Upload Limit is a limit,  not a target - think of it like those signs on old maps "here be Dragons..." - and Evernote doesn't make any promises as to what happens if you push any of its limits;  they're there to stop users going beyond them,  not to allow for occasional mistakes.

Saving a new note should work if you set up a local (unsynced) notebook temporarily and use that as your default note store until your limit resets;  - or you could set up another free account and pile information into that to merge later...

Sorry you lost the work,  but if it didn't make it into a note,  it can't be synced,  and if its not synced,  Evernote never saw the content so can't help you much with a Support request anyway.

Hello, fellow BOINC supporter.

It's impossible to set a local notebook as your default notebook, so therefore it's to use the web clipper or screenshot function, since neither of them have an option to select a (local) notebook.

I have little hope to recover my work but I hope they fix the bug...

• Level 5*

Sorry - careless language;  use the local notebook as your go-to note store..

I agree Evernote's 'limits' have extremely hard edges,  and I've fallen foul of them too;  more warnings,  or some sort of fall-back to syncing would be a good way to go.  They don't regard it as a bug though - Evernote is behaving correctly in that when it reaches a limit,  it stops.  Dead.

Glad to see the philosophy of BOINC is gaining ground :)

Well, the whole app is pretty much is rendered useless: I can't edit my existing notes unless I make a local version of all my notebooks, move all my notes, and move them back at the new cycle (absurd) AND I can't make new notes by any means using the clipper or screenshot tool. If Evernote intended their product to work that way then I'm going to bail.

• Level 5*

Agree the hard landing you had could be handled better, but you did hit the free limit.  Could always pay $5 for the month to get more than the free storage for a month .  If useless is worth conquering for $5.

Well, the whole app is pretty much is rendered useless: I can't edit my existing notes unless I make a local version of all my notebooks, move all my notes, and move them back at the new cycle (absurd) AND I can't make new notes by any means using the clipper or screenshot tool. If Evernote intended their product to work that way then I'm going to bail.

Evernote's system is an upload amount. As Gaz said, that's a limit, not a target. The fact that you're pissed that you've got yourself in this situation is like someone being pissed at their car b/c they ran out of gas and are stranded.

• Level 5*

When you use a FREE product, you can't expect unlimited storage/bandwidth.  If that is a showstopper for you, then I guess you'll have to try elsewhere.

Or, if you see value in Evernote, you can pay a one-time fee of $5 to get 4GB of bandwidth for a month.

That also gives you Support, so you can officially complain/request a change.

• 2 weeks later...

Opened a ticket and confirmed that this is a bug in Evernote.

When you use a FREE product, you can't expect unlimited storage/bandwidth.

I never said this. All I said is that Evernote was not allowing me to create or edit notes locally, which is not how it's supposed to behave.

The fact that you're pissed that you've got yourself in this situation is like someone being pissed at their car b/c they ran out of gas and are stranded.

A better analogy would be if the car ran out of gas and then ejected me out of the car and locked me out.

I don't get why there's animosity for someone reporting that the software is not working as intended. The dev I'm doing tests for to reproduce the problem is very professional.

Also, do you guys see how telling someone that found a defect in a product that it's their fault and that they should pay extra for the premium version of that product is perverse logic..?

• Level 5*

Opened a ticket and confirmed that this is a bug in Evernote.

When you use a FREE product, you can't expect unlimited storage/bandwidth.

I never said this. All I said is that Evernote was not allowing me to create or edit notes locally, which is not how it's supposed to behave.

The fact that you're pissed that you've got yourself in this situation is like someone being pissed at their car b/c they ran out of gas and are stranded.

A better analogy would be if the car ran out of gas and then ejected me out of the car and locked me out.

I don't get why there's animosity for someone reporting that the software is not working as intended. The dev I'm doing tests for to reproduce the problem is very professional.

Also, do you guys see how telling someone that found a defect in a product that it's their fault and that they should pay extra for the premium version of that product..?

Well, I for one apologize if you thought I had any animosity for you -- I certainly don't.  Perhaps it was a poor choice of words.

I'm glad you got Evernote to identify and recognize the bug.

I agree, if you have already reached your monthly upload allowance, EN should still allow you to create, and save locally, un-sync'd Notes.  Then you can sync either the next month, or when you buy additional upload allowance.

Archived