Evernote across platforms

AlexS

Idea

I love Evernote, I use it every day at work on a windows PC, I use it on my iPhone as well as at home on my Mac. At work they are security freaks and I'm a few versions behind the latest one. As much as I love Evernote, I hate that the UI has to look so different across these platforms. At work on Windows you can add screenshots in a snap. I come home and try to add a screenshot using the mac version and can't figure it out. I don't think it's there... Then I remembered that I can use Skitch to take a screenshot, which ultimately worked, but why does it have to be so complicated? Just sayin'... 

4 replies to this idea

• Level 5*

Alex, that's a GREAT first post!  I couldn't agree more.

Cross platform parity and commonality are issues many of us have complained about for years.  Too often the excuse was given that the various EN clients are different "because they have to be", given the "differences/limitations of each platform".  I suppose there is some truth in that, but I don't think it justifies the major differences in features and UI that exist.

I have no idea how Evernote manages their software development, but it sure seems that there is little or no management effort put into ensuring commonality across platforms.  I understand that the mobile platforms are fundamentally different, and there are some real, significant restrictions not found on the desktop/laptop platforms.  But it seems that at least  the "desktop" platforms, Win and Mac, could have a very common feature set and UI, while allowing each to take advantage of unique features of each platform.  The same would apply to iOS and Android platforms.

But Evernote seems to have selected, consciously I believe, to have totally independent teams working on each platform, with little to no coordination between them.  I don't know this for sure, it just seems that way to me.  I have been a developer who has developed custom applications that work very similarly on both Windows and Mac.  It's not easy, it's not perfect, it's not identical, but it can be done so that the app works similar enough to allow people to readily use either platform.

I guess time will tell whether or not Evernote matures enough to realize the value in this.  ;)

"I come home and try to add a screenshot using the mac version and can't figure it out. I don't think it's there... Then I remembered that I can use Skitch to take a screenshot, which ultimately worked, but why does it have to be so complicated? Just sayin'..."

Alex, look at this link, under the first two columns called QUICK NOTE and SCREEN CAPTURE 'https://evernote.com/contact/support/kb/#!/article/23186853

Let me know if you have questions...

• Level 5*

...and Alex,  your comment "...a few versions behind the latest one" is kind've an answer to your problem - Evernote seem to be moving towards rationalising their features across platforms,  but the latest versions are always going to be the best - from that point of view.

• Level 5*

...and Alex,  your comment "...a few versions behind the latest one" is kind've an answer to your problem - Evernote seem to be moving towards rationalising their features across platforms,  but the latest versions are always going to be the best - from that point of view.

But be careful, the latest versions may have dropped features critical to you, and may have introduced new bugs that affect you.

I stayed on EN Mac v3 for many, many months AFTER v5 was released/updated for these very reasons.

Archived