Outline feature behaves in unexpected ways.

mikecox39

First; is there supposed to be a pop-up "hint" when I hover over icons on the toolbar?  I'm assuming it's the "Toolbar"; with font formating, bullets, indenting icons, paper clip, mic, etc. I get the "hints" here, when I hover overthe formatting  icons.

That "Toolbar" seems to disappear from time to time.  I've right clicked on the area but it doesn't come back and I've checked "view" thinking the option would be listed there, but it isn't.  Is there a keyboard shortcut that will bring it back when is goes away?

Finall is there a spell check on this forum?

Now to my quesition.

Sometimes when I hit enter the next line appears without a number.

I've found if that starts happening; say on line 10 and hiting enter doesn't produce line 11. I creat 2 blank lines.

I end up with lines 9 and 10 and make my entry on line 9, then when I hit enter I get line 10; and 10 changes to 11; and so on.

What are the secrets to working with this querky  line numbering (outlne) option

• Level 5*

Hi - always useful to know what version of Evernote you use / what OS we're talking about..  I can answer for windows -

• Your disappearing toolbar may be Ctrl-F8 - or View > Show Editing Toolbar.
  • There's no spell check that I'm aware of - I have a desktop app that does the job for me,  including typing in a browser
  • And yes,  Evernote's editor is wonderfully erattic.  You may be better off typing your lines of text and then selecting the whole block to add numbers last.

Hope that helps..

Thanksfor your response; I have a Win7 and Win 8 OS and the current version of EV. 

I can't figure out out to create a usable image of only 40kb so I've included a link to it here.

">http://1RhYFXAFdqySiMJUpFIpDBkXm9DG470_thumb.jp

As you can see, there is no view/Show Editing Toobar option and Ctrl-F8 doesn't toggle the edit toolbar. :o

I'm glad to see that my frustration with the edit isn't unique. ;)

I'm going to check and see if I can create a sig; where I usually put Ver number and OS info.

• Level 5*

The toolbar is supposed to appear whenever the cursor is in the body of the note, but it is buggy.  I have problems with it as well.  What always works for me, if I find the toolbar is missing, is to then click in the title field and then click again in the note body and the toolbar should appear.

Clicking in the title field and then back into the note body seems to reset the toolbar appearance behavior back to what is expected.

The toolbar is supposed to appear whenever the cursor is in the body of the note, but it is buggy.  I have problems with it as well.  What always works for me, if I find the toolbar is missing, is to then click in the title field and then click again in the note body and the toolbar should appear.

Clicking in the title field and then back into the note body seems to reset the toolbar appearance behavior back to what is expected.

Ok, good to hear; I guess :rolleyes:  I will try the work around you suggest.  Actually I think I did that once, without realizing it, but I wasn't really sure what it was I did.

It seems strange that all these bugs haven't been worked out; including what I believe is a very inadiquate spell checker, after all this time

• Level 5*

The toolbar behavior is fairly new.  I think the intent is to save some screen real estate and to only display it when needed.  The idea is fine with me but since it is not working correctly it has introduced a minor irritation instead of being helpful.

• Level 5*

View / Show Editing Toolbar doesn't exist any more, nor does Ctrl+F8 toggle though the toolbar choices; that's all been gone since Windows v5 appeared or shortly after, I believe ((I think that the Knowledge Base article is out of date on that one).

The editing toolbar is supposed to appear when you have focus in the note editor (i.e., there's a blinking cursor there); The editing toolbar replaces the one that has note date and URL metadata. I don't recall having problems with it disappearing, myself.

• Level 5*

I see the disappearing toolbar a lot.  If I click on a saved search and then click into the body of a note the toolbar does not appear.  This is consistent on my system.  If I click in the body of the same note in the all notebooks view the toolbar shows up fine.  It appears to be the initial saved search that is required for me to see this problem.

Archived