Download for Snow Leopard - How to/Advisable?

ajse

Idea

I have already invested time researching citation and information managers, and learning how to use Evernote.  I downloaded it on my iPad, and didn't realize until now that I can't download it on my laptop that runs Snow Leopard.

If Apple had continued to support Rosetta, I would have been happy to continue moving along the OS conveyor belt.  But the jump to Lion was so disruptive to my work flow that when my old computer died, I invested a lot of time trying to create continuity, such as setting up Snow Leopard as a virtual machine, but it was impractical on a laptop (among other problems).  Weeks of work down the drain, I finally returned my new computer and deliberately purchased the newest used machine that had shipped with both Snow Leopard and Lion, and installed SL.  Eventually I may run Lion on it, but probably only when the time management Gods shower me with a free personal assistant for year.  Or two.  (Oh when will technologists realize that "speed" in computing only matters anymore when it saves PEOPLE time, not electron-moving time?)

But right now, I am writing a book, am in a serious time crunch, and desperately need the capability Evernote offers, without the monumental disruption to my workflow that transitioning to Lion would mean.  I am reluctant to just click on a link offered in a random discussion I find online — is there any way to download Evernote for OS Snow Leopard today, September 2014?  I tried through the App Store and directly from Evernote, but the version downloaded does not work with Snow Leopard anymore. 

Yes, I realize it's no longer really supported, but just as my old OS actually works better for ME (as frankly, does a lot of really old software that works perfectly well without requiring me to spend a whole bunch of time servicing and relearning on upgrade) - is it really such a bad thing for me to download and use Evernote for Snow Leopard now?  Or should I give up and find another information/citation management tool?  Any suggestions for something equivalent?  I have Devonthink Pro Office, but haven't had time to learn how to use it fully, and don't immediately see how it replaces the functionality of Evernote.  I need something that will keep track of citations, especially, allow me to clip quotes (automatically store a URL or source), while allowing me to easily add my own notes that I can then use to organize and access the citations by.

Thanks for any advice! 

10 replies to this idea

I'm another user who is in a similar boat.  I recently restarted using Evernote and wanted to install the app to my MacbookPro (running OS 10.6.8, Intel).  But the latest release 5.6.0 (build 450741) cannot be installed onto my laptop.  Does Evernote have an archive of past releases where I can get the last-known stable version that is compatible with my OS?

I would appreciate any help.  Many thanks in advance!

• Level 5

is there any way to download Evernote for OS Snow Leopard today, September 2014?  I tried through the App Store and directly from Evernote, but the version downloaded does not work with Snow Leopard anymore. 

The version currently available on the Mac AppStore is 5.5.1 which supports SnowLeopard.

5.6.0 is the first version which does not. In what way is 5.5.1 note working for you?

The file downloading is Evernote_RELEASE_5.6.0_450741.dmg - both from the Evernote site and from Apple.  It doesn't give me a choice to download 5.5.1

I wonder if this has to do with why none of the Macheist software I downloaded worked either -- something about possibly an autodetect feature keying into my having a machine that otherwise shipped with Lion, but is actually running SL, maybe?  Unfortunately, I don't seem to be able to manually specify that I want 5.5.1, the only thing downloading is 5.6.0

• Level 5

The file downloading is Evernote_RELEASE_5.6.0_450741.dmg - both from the Evernote site and from Apple.  It doesn't give me a choice to download 5.5.1

I wonder if this has to do with why none of the Macheist software I downloaded worked either -- something about possibly an autodetect feature keying into my having a machine that otherwise shipped with Lion, but is actually running SL, maybe?  Unfortunately, I don't seem to be able to manually specify that I want 5.5.1, the only thing downloading is 5.6.0

The AppStore should not be downloading a .dmg at all. It should download 5.5.1 directly into your /Applications directory.

Great!  Thanks for pointing that out.  I had tried to install the one from Evernote first, the one that didn't work, so it looks like the one from the App store didn't actually download.  After your message, I checked the App store, and indeed, as you say, they have 5.5.1   When I put the Evernote file from my Applications folder that had downloaded from Evernote (which had a circle with the slash through it over the icon) into the trash, and THEN downloaded from the App store, it downloaded and has launched.  I haven't tried to work with it yet, but it should work.

Thanks!!!

(Just picking your brain here -- I would love to know if you also have opinion as to why none of the Macheist software I bought in the last package worked on my OS??  I was never able to get any info from the Macheist people...)

• Level 5

(Just picking your brain here -- I would love to know if you also have opinion as to why none of the Macheist software I bought in the last package worked on my OS??  I was never able to get any info from the Macheist people...)

How did it “not work”? What software was it specifically? How was it packaged and how did you install it?

They send you an email with a whole bunch of links to download the products as well as the serial nos. and anything else you need to register. When I tried to download, though, the same thing happened as when I downloaded the software from evernote - the software wasn't compatible with my operating system.

• Level 5*

Sounds pretty simple to me, the software in the bundle requires a more recent version of the OS.

If you prefer to stay on SL then you should check that any software you want to use will install/run before handing over any cash.

The AppStore should not be downloading a .dmg at all. It should download 5.5.1 directly into your /Applications directory.

Thank you, @Adjusting, for your suggestion!  I didn't even think of checking the AppStore.  I downloaded it and it works great!

And thank you, @ajse, for writing this topic!  Else I would have kept using Evernote on a browser.

Archived