Lost notes

I upgraded to iOS 8 on my iPhone and my iPad, and when the upgrade was complete, all of my notes in Evernote were gone.  I've tried reinstalling the software, I've done searches, and I cannot get those notes back.  No one seems to be able to help me, I contacted Evernote support and they told me they can't answer me personally, so they're closing the ticket.  This is a big deal; I had four years worth of notes, and they're just gone, and no one at Evernote will assist me.  Has anyone else experienced this issue?

Are you sure you are logging into the correct account and not, perhaps an old abandoned account, or a new account you accidentally created?

What happens when you log into the web at http://www.evernote.com ? are your notes in the web interface? If they are, you haven't lost anything. Likely your problem then would be a sync issue on your iOS device, or you are logging in to the wrong account. 

I appreciate the feedback -yes, I'm logging into the correct account, and no, they're not showing up on the website when I log on from a desktop computer, either.  I'm not a complete moron, and tried all the obvious trouble-shooting, but I've never 'accidentally' created another account, and I've tried logging out and back in, and can't figure out where they've gone.

I didn't mean to imply you were a moron, or to be pedantic. I'm simply responding to the information I have (you don't outline any troubleshooting), and made suggestions based on what other users have experienced on these forums (many of whom either experience sync issues, or end up logging into a second, unused account). 

It is very unusual for a user to completely lose all of their data like this. Aside from the OS update, did you do anything else recently that differs from day to day use? 

Rare though this is, it does seem to happen periodically. You can always recover your notes if you had Evernote installed on your computer and you have regular hard drive backups. You're not a complete moron after all, so I'm sure you practice safe computing and back up your data regularly (ok, that's me being a bit pedantic). 

The more information you can give us, such as anything you may have done before updating, checking your trash in your various Evernote clients (I know, this is basic troubleshooting, but again, you haven't said what you've tried, and many people have accidentally trashed their whole database worth of notes), and so on, can help us help you better. 

I don't believe I ever installed Evernote on my desktop, I've only ever used the app or logged into the website on a computer or device.  Other than the update, no, I haven't done anything out of the ordinary.  I've gone through my Settings as well, and it shows I've been a user since 2011, which is accurate.  I checked this out because after the update, when I logged into the app with my usual log in, all that was in there was the Welcome note, like I was a new user.  I've checked everywhere-trash, all the notebooks, and they appear to be gone.  

I know you say you aren't logging into a new account, but the welcome note has me really convinced that may be where you are going wrong. 

I'm not sure the best way to verify except to log into the web interface and go to account settings to see how long you've been a "member since:". Presumably that date should be about 4 years in the past based on your initial post. If the date is around the time of the OS update (or some other arbitrary time), we can suspect you've likely created a second account. 

I know you say you aren't, but there are so many signs that point towards having done so. Perhaps someone else has another suggestion about a probable cause, but loss of 100% of your content from EN's server is SO rare, PLUS you are seeing the welcome note, I'm going to be hard pressed to be convinced it isn't a secondary account.

Thanks for following all of my other suggestions, sorry they haven't yielded anything.  

EDIT:

I've checked everywhere-trash, all the notebooks, and they appear to be gone.  

Wait, you are seeing some (empty) notebooks that existed prior to your update and data loss? If so, this is puzzling and would make me question my second account hypothesis. 

Yes, I checked the Settings, and it says I've been a member since 2011, which is when I joined Evernote.  The reason why I don't think I created a second account, is because I've been logging in with the same email-before and after the upgrade, and it's not possible to make two Evernote accounts I don't think, with the same email address.  And no, no empty notebooks; the old ones simply just aren't showing up.  

Also:  The welcome note is dated 10/9/09

Yes, I checked the Settings, and it says I've been a member since 2011, which is when I joined Evernote.  The reason why I don't think I created a second account, is because I've been logging in with the same email-before and after the upgrade, and it's not possible to make to Evernote accounts I don't think, with the same email address.  

That is correct, though a surprisingly large number of people forget which email they used entirely! 

Ok I'm straight up puzzled here. I'll have to leave it up to the others in this community who might have some suggestions. 

To make sure I didn't completely space out, I did do a search in all my other email accounts for any emails that have 'Evernote' in them, and the searches didn't yield anything, so I'm almost positive I don't have another account out there, but this is so strange.  I chatted with Apple support a few days ago, and they said that my version of iOS 8 may have been corrupt and so I re-installed it, and the tech said theoretically, my notes should come back once the update was done, but they didn't, so I was hoping Evernote tech support, or another user could help.  I realized how strange this issue was, when I did a Google search, and couldn't find any searches or questions that related to someone losing all their notes.

charboyd, I did submit a ticket (729312) to Evernote when I realized this happened, back on September 17.  This is the response I got:

Thank you for contacting Evernote customer support. We are unable to personally answer your inquiry. I'm closing this request today and encourage you to find the answer to your inquiry via a search on the Evernote Support page or with our active user community in theEvernote forums.

If you are having issues with login, account access, or a purchase, please reply to this email and we will respond to you as soon as possible.

Regards,
Evan A.

So, I just submitted a new one in response, that ticket number is  745021.  I can't post anymore today, apparently, because I'm a new member, but I I didn't include the activity log, but it only goes back to September 17, that I can see.  I'm guessing Evernote may have access to a more extensive one.

• 2 years later...
  • Level 5
44 minutes ago, Susana said:

This is the most unhelpful forum ever, and Gurus, go somewhere else. You treat people so badly, with such condesendence that really, you should be ASHAMED of the answers.

??????????????????????? Would you rather prefer no forum at all? Did you realize that Scott donated his free time to another user with the intention to help? This is a user forum and Scott is not an Evernote Employee. Don't you think that the reason for the problems understanding each other was the emotional stress henningjamie810 was in - which I perfectly understand considering the circumstances - rather than Scotts responses? And if you don't like this forum I suggest you should go somerwhere else.

hace 7 minutos, Stuhrer dijo:

??????????????????????? Would you rather prefer no forum at all? Did you realize that Scott donated his free time to another user with the intention to help? This is a user forum and Scott is not an Evernote Employee. Don't you think that the reason for the problems understanding each other was the emotional stress henningjamie810 was in - which I perfectly understand considering the circumstances - rather than Scotts responses? And if you don't like this forum I suggest you should go somerwhere else.

And it goes on. When you reply to someone that has lost important things as many of you have replied to me it's a waste of time. Yours and mine, of course. And when I see everyone that "Evernote is going to reimburse those that lost data on Sept 29" but I'm BEING CHARGED after the worst weekend of my last year, I wonder, what would you do if you were in my shoes. 

Give me lectures about nonexistant backups.

Thank you very much.

8 hours ago, Susana said:

And it goes on. When you reply to someone that has lost important things as many of you have replied to me it's a waste of time. Yours and mine, of course. And when I see everyone that "Evernote is going to reimburse those that lost data on Sept 29" but I'm BEING CHARGED after the worst weekend of my last year, I wonder, what would you do if you were in my shoes. 

Give me lectures about nonexistant backups.

Thank you very much.

From your many posts across our different threads, it appears a ticket to our Customer Support Team would help you best. You can open a support ticket here. Please be respectful of the users who take time out of their own day to help others here for free.

• 6 months later...

I have the same issue. I've been a member since 2015, yet I have literally no notes, notebooks, etc. in my Evernote app or on the laptop. I switched from an iPhone 5 to a 7 today, and it's all gone. I loaded the activity log, yet can't receive help through a support ticket unless I'm a premium member. I will not pay to upgrade my app just for someone to tell me my content is gone forever. The website is a circle of frustration, leading me nowhere except more concerned and frustrated. Can anyone help me? Again, I have the activity log!

• Level 5*
On 5/11/2017 at 5:30 PM, sofrustrated said:

I've been a member since 2015, yet I have literally no notes, notebooks, etc. in my Evernote app or on the laptop. I switched from an iPhone 5 to a 7 today, and it's all gone. I loaded the activity log, yet can't receive help through a support ticket unless I'm a premium member.

Your statement is confusing.  Did you have any notes in your account prior switching to your iPhone 7?

IAC, you do NOT have to be a Premium member to receive support for lost data.

For lost data, I'd suggest you contact Evernote directly, via a Support Request. See Submit Support Ticket 

They keep changing the support process/forms, and it can be confusing.  Be sure you select "Lost notes or missing content" in the below form:

2017-05-13_20-26-22.png.07d72573fbf7c27a5adb381577298a2c.png

• Level 5*
On 2017-05-11 at 3:30 PM, sofrustrated said:

I have the same issue. I've been a member since 2015, yet I have literally no notes, notebooks, etc. in my Evernote app or on the laptop. I switched from an iPhone 5 to a 7 today

The master version of your notes is maintained on the Evernote servers.  You can view these notes using the web platform

After syncing; the iPhone is no longer significant

The most common problem with no notes, notebooks, etc. on a device is using the wrong userid

• 1 month later...

After my iPhone 6s updated to the lastest version(when I did not want it to), and me not being able to remember my password for the account, and having to load my old phone save.. more then 6 months old... had the same issues as above, no data/notes were showing on device or web platform, which were both used to maintain/use the notes. 

Reloged a number of times using Email and swaping to username and back again, while looking though posts on here and wanting to throw my phone.. 6th shot.. everything was back after a verifiy email address on login.

Hope this helps another user. with the same EN issue.

Archived