Evernote Premium price has gone up

Wordsgood

I was copying some notes out of a Shared notebook I belonged to, saw a "getting close to monthly quota message and clicked on. Of course it advised my to upgrade to Premium, which I can't do at the moment, but clicked in it anyone just to see if the price had changed. Sure enough, it is now $59.00USD.

Again with the zero notice. Would an announcent on the EN blog have been that hard?

I see the same price change. 

No notice, but that isn't unusual for price changes, nor for Evernote. I'm not sure how much good an announcement would do aside from drive a slew of last-minute upgrades at the original price. 

The flip-side, the upgrades to the premium account (namely the 4gb quota upgrade) also went without announcement, so both "good" and "bad" go without official word! 

That being said - Phil Libin did allude to increased subscription prices in a recent interview with re/code, which I linked to a while back on these forums. Not that that counts, in any way, as an announcement, of course.... but it was hinted at. 

I suspect we'll see a glut of changes to both the application and the services Evernote offers int he coming months, and I think some of the account upgrades and price changes are really just the beginning. 

I wonder if this is a Canadian thing? I checked the website & it still shows $45 for me. I logged into the web client with one of my free accounts & the price there also was still $45.

Again, an announcement would be helpful...

That could be. Canadian dollar has fallen pretty considerably in the last month or so to be about $.90 USD, so increasing price for Canadians by 10% as they have would make up the approximate 10% disparity in currency value. 

@ScottLougheed, you're right on the money.

As Phil mentioned in the re/code interview, we are considering changing the price of Evernote Premium for the first time since we launched Premium in 2008. As such, we are doing limited tests in some markets, including Canada. We are not doing any price testing in the US at this time. Unfortunately, the Canadian dollar and the US dollar both use the dollar sign ($), so it can be confusing which currency you are seeing. 

If and when we decide to actually increase the price, we will make an announcement. However, as you pointed out, announcing a test decreases the validity of the test; the announcement would just drive a lot of last-minute upgrades and we would have issues getting any good data, so we are trying to keep it on the down low.

Edit: I just googled on the down-low and I have apparently been misusing this particular turn of phrase for years. Sorry for my misstatement. 

We are monitoring support and our forums to answer questions related to these price tests. We are not trying to keep anything secret, only working to identify the impact of a price change in a limited market before we consider making changes elsewhere.

As Phil mentioned in the re/code interview, we are considering changing the price of Evernote Premium for the first time since we launched Premium in 2008. As such, we are doing limited tests in some markets, including Canada. We are not doing any price testing in the US at this time. Unfortunately, the Canadian dollar and the US dollar both use the dollar sign ($), so it can be confusing which currency you are seeing. 

If and when we decide to actually increase the price, we will make an announcement. However, as you pointed out, announcing a test decreases the validity of the test; the announcement would just drive a lot of last-minute upgrades and we would have issues getting any good data, so we are trying to keep it on the down low.

So...you're banking on your users not noticing the "selective, secret" price increase & that they would not mention it on message boards, blogs, etc. Hmmm...

My eyes are bleeding and my brain just melted.

This has to be a wind up. Surely?

• Level 5*

I don't think the Easter Egg strategy (roll out new features or changes and don't talk about it until a user stumbles upon it) is a good one for Evernote, and I strongly recommend (as I have before) that they reconsider it.

As I understand it, they are raising the price for Canadians as a test of some kind, but it is a secret (that everyone now knows about), and they plan to announce the price hike later if the test goes well (I guess)? That doesn't seem terribly fair for Canadians, and I am not sure what the point of an announcement is after the fact.

By the way, it isn't just Canadians. My screen says 5.99 per month and 49.99 per year. That's kind of weird, since I am logging in from Japan and the amounts are quoted in what appear to be USD.

As with other changes, I am not against it. If Evernote wants to raise the price or feels that it is necessary, then that is fine, though I'd recommend timing it with the rollout of some new feature to make it a little more palatable to people. What I don't agree with is the Easter Egg strategy.

[EDIT] Scratch that. I was using a VPN. I don't remember where it was logging in through, so that price doesn't count. The JPY price is the same as always: 450 yen per month or 4000 per year.

I'm sorry, Nancy Fu Magee, while we Canadians are used to getting shafted price wise by anything that comes out of the States, did you really think we are dumb enough not to notice the difference just because we use the same currency symbol?

Sigh, and here I was feeling all warm and fuzzy towards EN today. Even after I saw and posted the price hike, I still went ahead and made a big helpful post for new users...only to find out you are deliberately targetting foreign (to you) markets. Here I once again naively thought that just maybe Evernote was feeling a little remoresful about how they've treated their users. My mistake. You needn't worry about aiming for Microsoft anymore, you've already sunk to their level. At least in terms of business practices.

As always, I don't hold any anger towards the EN staff, but their management is another story. Am I angry now? Yup? Will I regret this post? Maybe. Will I give up on Evernote completely? I dunno, yet. First, I'm going to take a breather and think this over for a few days.

I know next to nothing about market research... but wouldn't a general survey do the trick?... as opposed to one of two other possibilities, as it relates to the already premium user base: 

(1) Ignorance is bliss - what you don't know won't hurt your pocket

(2) The price change is obvious - in which case it's a little curious as to why it was not announced. Possibly offensive to the select test group.

I, for one, really don't mind if the EN premium more than doubles... it's long overdue, and it would still be less than commensurate to the full use I get out of the service...  but on principle, I have on occasion waited for my 10c change when boarding a bus in Brazil.

I read the recent interview with re/code - since I receive Google alerts for Evernote and get other tidbits from elsewhere - so it's no surprise to me. No biggie if the price change hit Brazil right now... but still - what's so difficult about giving a short and sweet announcement through either a blog post which comes out almost daily, an announcement through the EN service itself - or even a newsletter directed to premium users? Raise the price once a year, every year, for all I care... but run through the formalities of letting people know a month or two ahead of time. 

It's just a dollar a month extra. That's not going to break anyone's bank - especially since one would obviously have the means to pay hundreds, if not thousands of dollars for mobile devices and the like in order to be able to use wonderful services such as EN... but it seems a little sneaky to people like myself who don't know how smart this form of market testing is supposed to be.

Whoever is giving you advice on experimental design is not very good. Fire them, find someone else because this is nonsense. 

I know next to nothing about market research... but wouldn't a general survey do the trick?... as opposed to one of two other possibilities, as it relates to the already premium user base: 

Surveys for consumer behavior are generally not as accurate as a test. What people say they will do as consumers and what they actually do can be two vastly different things.

If you want a good example, just read up about new Coke. Consumer surveys showed it would be a hit.

Jim

Surveys for consumer behavior are generally not as accurate as a test. What people say they will do as consumers and what they actually do can be two vastly different things.

If you want a good example, just read up about new Coke. Consumer surveys showed it would be a hit.

Jim

Yep... I've got a lot to learn. I'm sure the outcome of a test is different. From my very limited perspective, I somehow still think that it may be unnecessary. Each year I increase the price of my private English classes... but I make sure to let people know at least 3 months beforehand. I've never had any objections yet. But then again, I will never know how many potential students never got to calling me because they thought the price was above their means.

I get that it may be fine for newcomers... but it doesn't fare well for some established Canadian users, even for free users. Whether surveys are inaccurate or not, many might feel that the current testing is not the most ideal. It wouldn't bother me - but I do see the point that a few users have made here. Perhaps it's a necessary "evil".  

As Scott hinted at above, I do hope this is a sign of good things to come. Either way, if Evernote continues to roll out exactly the type of updates they have within the last year, it's above and beyond for me. It's pretty decent as it is!

IMO, the validity of testing is not the issue. Nor is a price increase. The issue is disrespecting/insulting your users by secretly trying to charge a select group of users more than the advertised price and hoping they don't notice and wanting them to keep it "on the down low" when you're called out. If you have to treat your customers this way for "valid test results", then I would suggest there's something very wrong with your thinking and maybe the thing to be concerned about is something other than getting valid test results. Evernote used to be a company that seemed to hold their customers in high regard. That no longer seems to be the case.

Exactly. It's not the price increase so much as it is as being a part of one of the countries EN is treating as though it's citizens's are mentally deficent guinea pigs.

And it goes right back to the biggest complaints endlessly repeated on the forum this year:

* Communication with consumers, free or paid, sucks. By it's own accounts, Evernote continues to grow at an exponential rate seldom seen in a company still so young, especially a tech company reliant on the use of the internet. They have expanded at a phenomenal rate worldwide, even getting a firm footing in countries that don't normally welcome forgein web based techology they can not strictly regulate and censor, like China.

Yet despite the growth and all the recently added bells & whistles added to the various clients, EN still hasn't managed to get a handle on providing stable cross platform performance. It still isn't living up to their own strengths as advertised right on the front page of the company site (and in a few company blogs I've seen), like the ability to take complex notes or handle anywhere near the account sizes they purport to.

* If EN has the funds to expand so much, why are they not focussing on first perfecting a stable product and keeping the existing paying users they already have? Why does it feel like management is still expecting users to give them the same kind of slack as when they truly were a start-up with very limited resources? If you have 100+ million users, have branched out all over the world and are now trying to break into the corporate market, you are not a start-up any longer. If you act like one of the big dogs, the provide like one!

And yes, you could once say that other big players didn't provide products to free users, but that's no longer, now is it? After finding EN, I quickly became personally invested in the company's success because it seemed to truly care about it's users, as was evidenced by a number of long-time power users here on the forum. That no longer appears to be true. Or perhaps I was just too naive.

IMO, the validity of testing is not the issue. Nor is a price increase. The issue is disrespecting/insulting your users by secretly trying to charge a select group of users more than the advertised price and hoping they don't notice and wanting them to keep it "on the down low" when you're called out. If you have to treat your customers this way for "valid test results", then I would suggest there's something very wrong with your thinking and maybe the thing to be concerned about is something other than getting valid test results. Evernote used to be a company that seemed to hold their customers in high regard. That no longer seems to be the case.

I have to just jump back in here to make a couple points. I don't really intend this to be an argument, but just an offering of my perspective.

1) Evernote has, along with any other company doing business internationally, every right to adjust their prices in other currencies as the market tosses and turns. They also have every right to choose and change the price of their service as they see fit, for whatever reason. 

2) Speaking SOLELY of Canada (not sure which other countries experienced a price change), the CAD is about 10% below the USD, and the price increase is approximately 10%. Since Evernote deals in USD, it seems reasonable to adjust the price according to market fluctuations that exceed a certain threshold for a certain length of time. 10% seems like a reasonable threshold and the CAD has been down at that level for a while. If this change were not made, it would equate to a 10% loss in revenue from Canadian subscribers who would, effectively, be given a 10% discount (though to Canadians, it sure as hell wouldn't feel like it).

It may also be the case that this is part of Evernote's general price increases (so, some of the change is due to currency, some of the change due to increasing their subscription price unrelated to currency).

3) I have seen many other USD-Based companies adjust their prices in a similar fashion in Canada and elsewhere. These companies have done so without notifying users/consumers in advance. I am thinking of Apple, Sony, and some others, here. (Netflix, which notified subscribers that new subscribers would have a higher rate, would be an exception here...)

4) I think the "experiment" is a bit of an odd way for staff to frame it. My suspicion is that this experiment is more opportunistic than anything. There was likely some need (currency) and desire (price) to increase the subscription price. Hit the countries with the most disparate currencies with the inevitable price change first, and use this as a sort of "natural experiment" (as the scientists call it) to see how subscribers respond before rolling price changes out to larger markets. (Remember, the entire population of Canada is approximately the same as the state of California). I also don't think the "change but don't tell" was solely methodologically motivated. As I note in (3), most companies do not announce price changes in advance, and this is likely more for business reasons than experimental design. The methodological benefit is a bonus of what is largely regular business practice.  

I'm not saying that it is right for companies to change their prices without notifying their users (granted this almost exclusively affects new subscribers in Evernote's case). Indeed, I've also raised my own frustrations over Evernote's general lack of transparency with some feature-related decisions. I'm just pointing out that it is fairly common practice among businesses, not something dreamed up in the dungeons of Evernote's Redwood City HQ.

I can also understand that for those long-time users who are not current subscribers but were about to pull the trigger on a subscription, this would be rather frustrating.

I'm reluctant to take the "Experiment" explanation as the complete story here. This is very likely a staggered roll-out of a higher priced subscription to all users, bundled with compensation for stabilized disparate currency values in some countries, with ongoing evaluation of the impact on subscription/subscribers (which isn't manipulative, its sensible. You'd probably want to know if your price increase cut your subscriber rate in half).  

Just my  5¢ (No pennies here, so this is the best I can do). 

• Level 5*

it sounds like canadians ought to be used to this by now! thanks scott. in my experience, though, prices rarely fluctuate without notice, and i don't remember ever being part of an experiment like this. maybe i was, and just didn't know it? for example, i think all the services i have used lowered their prices over time. and, even then, they announced it to users, lol. i think, in general, my recommendation would be that evernote avoid experimenting on its users. no one wants to be part of an experiment without their consent, especially if it means that they are singled out for higher prices because they happen to live in canuck-land.

• Evernote Expert

Hi, I come from India. I had raised this issue last year, when rupee prices were crashing badly in favour of the dollar, and an Evernote employee here pinged me that they were considering to start charging in favour of rupees.. Still nothing to that effect..

Another thing, when I purchased en premium first time, rupee was around 50 or 52 to the dollar, and I paid around 2200 for premium. Now, rupee is around late 60s. If en makes it 59 dollars in India for premium I would have to pay close to 4000 now.. The cost of an entire office365 for a year is 3300 and 4100. Just to make a comparison to show how expensive en would become if implemented in India. So, the price is effectively jumping 100 percent for me..

Lastly, I live partially on a 512kbos that keeps dying on me now and then. Most time, am on a 2g connection which is even worse. I hardly use out 200 - 300 MB upload per month preferring on stuff like offline books and PDF annotations mainly for premium.

So, raising the cost to justify a 4 gb upload increase makes no benefit to me at all. Intact , if it has to boil down to this, I would prefer the old system with users paying 45 dollars a year, and paying 5 dollars each for increased upload optionally.

Hi, I come from India. I had raised this issue last year, when rupee prices were crashing badly in favour of the dollar, and an Evernote employee here pinged me that they were considering to start charging in favour of rupees.. Still nothing to that effect..

Another thing, when I purchased en premium first time, rupee was around 50 or 52 to the dollar, and I paid around 2200 for premium. Now, rupee is around late 60s. If en makes it 59 dollars in India for premium I would have to pay close to 4000 now.. The cost of an entire office365 for a year is 3300 and 4100. Just to make a comparison to show how expensive en would become if implemented in India. So, the price is effectively jumping 100 percent for me..

Lastly, I live partially on a 512kbos that keeps dying on me now and then. Most time, am on a 2g connection which is even worse. I hardly use out 200 - 300 MB upload per month preferring on stuff like offline books and PDF annotations mainly for premium.

So, raising the cost to justify a 4 gb upload increase makes no benefit to me at all. Intact , if it has to boil down to this, I would prefer the old system with users paying 45 dollars a year, and paying 5 dollars each for increased upload optionally.

I imagine Evernote will use some of the information the glean from rolling out increases in other markets to ensure they don't do what you are describing, or at least don't do it too badly (Price increases, I think, will inevitably alienate at least a few people). I don't think they are going to put a flat increase across all markets, since that wouldn't make sense. That's likely why they are doing a staged roll-out to begin with, because the nature of the increase will vary by region. 

That being said, Evernote sure could make exactly the increase you describe, which would certainly be a bit alienating. 

Your example of Office 365 and Evernote isn't unique to your region. In Canada, Office 365 is about $70 year CAD. Evernote is now $55 (or $59 as some people seem to be stating here potentially erroneously). So $70/$59   it's a $10 price difference. 

• Evernote Expert

There was an article floating around somewhere in the forum that linked to Phil Libin confirming that there wont be a price rise for existing Premium users.. :angry:

"Evernote is also looking at new ways to fund its efforts. The company is preparing to hike the fees for the first time for the premium version of its service, currently priced at $5 per month or $45 per year. Existing paid customers won’t see their rates go up, Libin promised."

The biggest irony in this article is that, for the first time, Evernote's Flagship users ( if you can call them that, the Premium, Power Users and the Evangelists) are scratching their heads in another thread, and beginning to start thinking of Microsoft Note as a real alternative. ( although he criticises Microsoft Office Programs and not One Note)

I imagine Libin wants users to abandon Office in favour of Evernote because it suits them better, not because its cheaper. The price increases will likely be coupled with improvements (as defined by Evernote/Libin) to the product.

In the same article you reference, he also mentions that he wants Evernote's focus to shift towards businesses too. Businesses are less likely to be as price sensitive as individual "personal" users. If Evernote is targeting business use cases, they can shoot for a higher price point than if they are trying to address personal needs.

I'm not welcoming the price increases, nor am I trying to justify them. I'm just kind of putting out there my interpretation of what Evernote might be trying to do, for better or worse. 

• Level 5

I have seen other companies go down this IPO / Corporate Takeover route. Their support drops, quality problems increase, response time lengthens, and employee indifference grows. Then the CEO finally emerges from his long self-inflicted exile and promises all sorts of grand improvements after the price increase is instituted.

Frankly, I would like to see Phil Libin resolve the problems he apologized for earlier this year.

• Level 5*

Will $58 be the new price point?

"About 70% of Evernote's revenue comes from customers who pay for its premium service, he said, which costs $58 a year. Another 15% of its revenue comes from its service that caters to businesses, and the remaining 15% is from physical products like special pens and Evernote-branded accessories like backpacks and wallets."

http://online.wsj.com/articles/note-taking-app-evernote-considering-ipo-in-next-few-years-1411563762

Or, is the WSJ just wrong (not uncommon)?

Lame! Evernote doesn't even work properly yet. All the fancy type ahead search and what not, only works in English. If you wanna raise the price, first fix it, so I get what I pay for. I'm already as a non us or non English speaking user paying a higher price.

Then perhaps...

• 5 months later...

Like Scott above, I'm Canadian, obviously. He points out that it seems only fair to change our price when the Canadian dollar falls against the USD.

That would seem fair if the price then fell for us when our currency rises against the USD, but that doesn't ever seem to happen. When we were recently at parity or above the USD I noticed that our prices didn't adjust for US goods unless there was a currency exchange involved, in which case someone is pocketing a percentage of our money under our nose without clearly disclosing how much (it can easily be 3-5%).

Well, I am voting with my Canadian dollar. I like Evernote, I use Evernote, but I've cancelled my premium subscription as of today, after reading this forum. If they are going to raise the price they can give me clear warning, as many other businesses do, especially when I'm on autopay with them. This business of being stealthily nickle-and-dimed for the difference in our currency leaves me with a bad taste in my mouth. Why should we be singled out for discrimination? I don't need a bunch of monkeys with a hand in my autopay pocket, I need professional businesses that are above board with me, businesses that don't conduct themselves like corporate sociopaths. I have cancelled autopay subscriptions before and I suspect that this is the same for a lot of Canadians. We are a nation of fiscally-responsible savers, we're well wired to social networks, and, while we do tend to be understanding, we're not stupid. Changing the price and hoping we won't notice or talk about it is a good way to lose a reputation.

• 1 year later...
On 2014-09-26 at 1:21 PM, Nancy M said:

Unfortunately, the Canadian dollar and the US dollar both use the dollar sign ($), so it can be confusing which currency you are seeing. 

That is why most businesses that deal internationally make it clear what currency they're talking about: Often the abbreviations USD  or US$, and CAD or CA$ are used, but it's also possible to spell things out: "US Dollar" or "Canadian Dollar." The important thing is to be explicit. This should not be a revelation.

I have been using Evernote Basic for some time, and I like that it's able to synchronize my information over all my devices (and I like it better now that the atrocious Android formatting has been fixed), but I realize that Evernote is a business, and it doesn't put ads in my app, so I'm not surprised or shaken that I am now being requested to pony up something for it.

I'm in Canada. The email I got from Evernote (which seems to know this) leads to a page that says that says that I can upgrade to Plus for "$3.99/month or $34.99/year (save 27%)", but when I go to Help | Upgrade I am told that Plus is $46.99/year.  Google tells me that today, USD 35 is worth about CAD 45.60. I don't mind (all that much) being hosed for that extra buck or so, but I would like assurance before I upgrade that the $46.99/year is in CAD, not USD, and whether my credit card will be charged through the US (which adds additional exchange) or Canada.

On 6/28/2016 at 5:13 PM, Cherns said:

That is why most businesses that deal internationally make it clear what currency they're talking about: Often the abbreviations USD  or US$, and CAD or CA$ are used, but it's also possible to spell things out: "US Dollar" or "Canadian Dollar." The important thing is to be explicit. This should not be a revelation.

I have been using Evernote Basic for some time, and I like that it's able to synchronize my information over all my devices (and I like it better now that the atrocious Android formatting has been fixed), but I realize that Evernote is a business, and it doesn't put ads in my app, so I'm not surprised or shaken that I am now being requested to pony up something for it.

I'm in Canada. The email I got from Evernote (which seems to know this) leads to a page that says that says that I can upgrade to Plus for "$3.99/month or $34.99/year (save 27%)", but when I go to Help | Upgrade I am told that Plus is $46.99/year.  Google tells me that today, USD 35 is worth about CAD 45.60. I don't mind (all that much) being hosed for that extra buck or so, but I would like assurance before I upgrade that the $46.99/year is in CAD, not USD, and whether my credit card will be charged through the US (which adds additional exchange) or Canada.

We're currently using a standard java currency formatter, but are considering moving to ISO codes for the clarity.

Yes, the $46.99 is in CAD, not USD.

Your charge will go to Evernote Corporation, which is located in the US. I've never heard of any of our Canadian users being charged a surcharge or exchange fee though. 

• Level 5*
On June 28, 2016 at 5:13 PM, Cherns said:

I see this on my account settings page.
The amounts are labeled US$.  I appreciate this, and can handle the conversion to Cdn$

Screen Shot 2016-07-01 at 8.03.13 AM.png

Screen Shot 2016-07-01 at 8.07.30 AM.png

14 hours ago, Nancy M said:

We're currently using a standard java currency formatter, but are considering moving to ISO codes for the clarity.

Your charge will go to Evernote Corporation, which is located in the US. I've never heard of any of our Canadian users being charged a surcharge or exchange fee though. 

Many thanks for your answer. I will be upgrading.

Perhaps EN has a deal with its credit-card processor that allows it to process charges in currencies appropriate to the credit card's country. Normally, when I use my Canadian credit card at a US site/company, the charge is in USD, and shows up in my (CAD) card statement at the current exchange rate plus a little extra for the bank. When I use my USD credit card (which I can get here in Canada), I get a statement in USD, and pay in USD; my bank gives a slightly better rate changing my Canadian assets to USD than my credit-card does.  Since the Plus upgrade price is shown in CAD, I'll trust EN to put the charge through in CAD as a "normal" CAD charge.  Thanks again for the clarification, and I applaud putting the CAD/USC price in several places. (When I click "Upgrade" on my PC EN program, I still get "46.99/yr," though.)

One more thing: I seem to be eligible for an promotional upgrade to Premium for $45.00/yr (CAD, presumably), which is a couple of bucks less than Plus. Presumably I can upgrade to Premium for now, and downgrade to Plus next year when the promotion is over?

20 hours ago, Nancy M said:

Never been charged any additional fees, just the subscription price in CAD. 

On 7/1/2016 at 10:50 PM, Cherns said:

Many thanks for your answer. I will be upgrading.

Perhaps EN has a deal with its credit-card processor that allows it to process charges in currencies appropriate to the credit card's country. Normally, when I use my Canadian credit card at a US site/company, the charge is in USD, and shows up in my (CAD) card statement at the current exchange rate plus a little extra for the bank. When I use my USD credit card (which I can get here in Canada), I get a statement in USD, and pay in USD; my bank gives a slightly better rate changing my Canadian assets to USD than my credit-card does.  Since the Plus upgrade price is shown in CAD, I'll trust EN to put the charge through in CAD as a "normal" CAD charge.  Thanks again for the clarification, and I applaud putting the CAD/USC price in several places. (When I click "Upgrade" on my PC EN program, I still get "46.99/yr," though.)

One more thing: I seem to be eligible for an promotional upgrade to Premium for $45.00/yr (CAD, presumably), which is a couple of bucks less than Plus. Presumably I can upgrade to Premium for now, and downgrade to Plus next year when the promotion is over?

Yes, you can even set this all up now, so you don't need to set a reminder for later.

• First pay for the Yearly Premium through the promotional upgrade.
  • After you've completed your purchase, go to Account Settings page on Evernote Web. There you should see a link to Manage Subscription.
  • Go to Manage Subscription. It will show you you're currently subscribed for Yearly Premium. You can then select Plus for the next year.
  • It will direct you to Checkout to enter your credit card again (yes, we're working on fixing that flow so users don't need to enter their card details again), but on this new Checkout page, there should be text that tells you your Premium will continue through your Yearly subscription end date, and that afterward your card will automatically be charged for a Plus subscription and your account will be downgraded to Plus.

On 7/2/2016 at 4:01 AM, ScottLougheed said:

Never been charged any additional fees, just the subscription price in CAD. 

Thanks for confirming, Scott! :)

This is shameful. Not the increase of price, but the increase of price with nothing new. Since EN had issues, consumer base was promised change, new features, core functions to be restored. But, nothing really has changed. Between the slow rolling out of updates, lack of 

Cmon, 1-2$ increase in premium isn't that big of a deal. What people are in up arms over is first, The restrictions over basic account is setting people off into reasons why they shouldn't stay with Evernote. Which is a poor decision because there are free alternative (Google, Apple and Microsoft) note applications. 

Secondly, no new features or noticeable improvements to look or functions in EN that have been requested for years. People have been waiting, myself included, to see more new looks and features roll out. But, so far yet, it has been disappointing.  

A combination of the above are reasons why there is negative press, people stating they are dissatisfied and leaving. Its clear that this new, news of increased price and limiting basic, was not the best thing. 

• Level 5
2 hours ago, OMNIZEN said:

Its clear that this new, news of increased price and limiting basic, was not the best thing. 

What is clear is some of the free users will leave and let the rest of the users get back to discussing Evernote. And that just might be a good thing for everyone.

On 9/29/2014 at 7:31 AM, ScottLougheed said:

I imagine Libin wants users to abandon Office in favour of Evernote because it suits them better, not because its cheaper. The price increases will likely be coupled with improvements (as defined by Evernote/Libin) to the product.

In the same article you reference, he also mentions that he wants Evernote's focus to shift towards businesses too. Businesses are less likely to be as price sensitive as individual "personal" users. If Evernote is targeting business use cases, they can shoot for a higher price point than if they are trying to address personal needs.

I'm not welcoming the price increases, nor am I trying to justify them. I'm just kind of putting out there my interpretation of what Evernote might be trying to do, for better or worse. 

I know this post is 2 years old, but I just had to comment...what you said just does not make sense. I would give Mr. Libin much more credit than that- that he (and everyone else) would know that Office and EN are 2 completely different animals. I would never think of using one instead of the other (less so EN to Office, more so the oher way around) EN  *cannot* replicate what Office does, and while theoretically OneNote can replace EN...my opinion is not well.

It'ds comparing Apples and Oranges (for the most part).

Eric

Archived