Organization helps/hints

shair

Hi, new to Evernote as of today. I'm a new manager with 6 directs under me. I'd like to understand the best way to organize to be able to have a file for each direct. Within that file (notebook?) I'd like to have a folder (sub-notebook?) with personal information on the direct, wife and kids names and ages, hobbies and interests, salary grade, birthday and anniversary, etc. I will also be conducting one-on-one interviews with each direct each week and would like to keep notes on each interview. Any advice would be very appreciated!

• Level 5*

The Evernote organization:

* Notes contain your content: text, images and other attachments. They can also be reminder notes, with a reminder date (due date) set

* Notebooks contain notes (but not stacks or other notebooks). Each note belongs to exactly one notebook.

* Stacks contain notebooks (but not other stacks). Each notebook belongs to zero or one stack.

* Tags are labels that you can apply to notes. A note can have multiple labels.

So, a flat structure. No sub-notebooks.

I'd suggest a notebook per direct. Tags like "1-1", "Review", "Personal" would be a natural first set, to start with.

• Level 5*

Hi - sounds like your initial thoughts are good - if you set up a system with a notebook for each direct,  then notes for 'personal information' with a set of standard headings.  Create an additional notebook for 'templates' and any notes that you might need to repeat for each direct,  like personal information / weekly meeting notes / etc.  Then copy one of those notes and move it to the notebook you're working on to fill it out for real.  Use 'yyyymmdd' or 'yymdd' at the start of your note titles,  and each note will sort into correct chronological order,  even if you create them a few days after the actual event.  Or you could alter the 'created date' to the date of a meeting.  Best way to develop your system is to start using it...  if you have any more queries,  post here!

• Level 5*

Hi, new to Evernote as of today. I'm a new manager with 6 directs under me. I'd like to understand the best way to organize to be able to have a file for each direct. Within that file (notebook?) I'd like to have a folder (sub-notebook?) with personal information on the direct, wife and kids names and ages, hobbies and interests, salary grade, birthday and anniversary, etc. I will also be conducting one-on-one interviews with each direct each week and would like to keep notes on each interview. Any advice would be very appreciated!

A lot has been written and discussed on this subject.  You might do a Google of "evernote organization" to see what's available.

One suggestion:  start out slow and test and review what you have entered before entering a lot of info.  It's pretty easy to change your organization approach later, but it might require a lot of time.

Make sure you backup your Evernote database at least daily.  While your Notes are sync'd to the Evernote Cloud, don't rely on this solely for back.

Archived