Penultimate on iPhone 6 and/or 6+ ?

donnie

Idea

I understand that Penultimate has historically been restricted to iPad probably due to the limitations of screen size imposed by the iPhone. However, now that the iPhone 6 and 6+ have larger screens, will are there any plans to make it available for iPhone?

81 replies to this idea

Switching out to a separate app is way too clunky for day to day use.  What we need is in built handwriting in the main app, as it is in the Android version. MUCH better option.

For standalone handwritten notes I use GoodNotes, it's far superior to Penultimate in just about every way.

Hi, I do agree whit you all. Business move faster then ever and now whit the series of app of Evernote you could totally replace your classic desk whit your iPhone. But, as I'm a mobile dev my self it feel good to be able to right down your ideas, WHIT YOUR FINGERS or PEN! Plus now whit the iPhone 6 plus that have a battery life extra extended I think the PENULTIMATE APP on iPHONE 6+ is a most to keep and even, get us more addicted to Evernote. I admit I'm a Evernote junkie! But please don't say it in public! ;P

Keep it up!

Jacob B

Penultimate would be nice, but it is taking too long. After some research i went with GoodNote. I really like it a lot better than Penultimate. For me i can write much better than i can on PU and Inserting text is awesome! I insert text to make sure that the dates and the title of the note are clearly visible to OCR. You do have to sync manually to EN but that's easy and once you make part of your routine of closing or ending a note its easy. 

I have my trusty iPhone 6+ with me all the time and take written notes easily and quickly!

I am considering buying either Goodnote 4 or ZoomNotes. I saw some contradictory reviews -- one said Goodnote links to Evernote very well, another review said it didn't at all and they had to go through Dropbox to get to Evernote. Since you are using Goodnote, can you tell me which is true?

Thank you.

TK

Disregard my previous question. I answered it myself by spending only $5.99. I read several third party reviews and ZoomNotes takes the 'cake' on this one. Here's one of the reviews I read: http://www.christopher-mayo.com/?p=1400

I have already had a chance to use it and it works nicely with Evernote and the Adonit Jot Pen (I have the Evernote Edition).

TK

Penultimate would be nice, but it is taking too long. After some research i went with GoodNote. I really like it a lot better than Penultimate. For me i can write much better than i can on PU and Inserting text is awesome! I insert text to make sure that the dates and the title of the note are clearly visible to OCR. You do have to sync manually to EN but that's easy and once you make part of your routine of closing or ending a note its easy. 

I have my trusty iPhone 6+ with me all the time and take written notes easily and quickly!

I am considering buying either Goodnote 4 or ZoomNotes. I saw some contradictory reviews -- one said Goodnote links to Evernote very well, another review said it didn't at all and they had to go through Dropbox to get to Evernote. Since you are using Goodnote, can you tell me which is true?

Thank you.

TK

Thanks for the feedback everybody! We will take your requests into consideration.

Don't consider it for too long because your competitors our banging at our door and making their products available to both iPads and iPhones -- along with connection to Evernote abilities. This is what a lot of people want. One place to go with seamless and transparent connections.

Thank you.

Evernote User and Adonit Jot Lover!

I was about to buy a Jotscript evernote edition pen for my iphone 6 plus. So sad her in the uk.

Please please do bring note taking either via penultimate or directly withing evernote as soon as possible, it would really make an amazing partnership or analogue and digital.

1 Very enthusiastic iphone 6 plus user for the cause ! 

:)

John G

Coventry UK

I used evernote and penultimate while I had an iPad mini. It was perfect for note taking any syncing between my devices. Since I upgraded to an iPhone 6 Plus I have no need for the mini and have sold it.

I have voted with my feet and cancelled my subscription and will not renew it until Penultimate provides iPhone 6 Plus support; this is now a glaring omission from the app and the Penultimate product owners have had more than enough time to respond with confirmation this feature is on the backlog for inclusion in a release.

I would encourage any other users to do the same - loss of revenue is great driver to prioritise features we would like to see.

Looking forward to a positive update from Penultimate.

David

Please add Penultimate for IPhone 6Plus, my ipad is now my daughters ipad , even if you release an unsupported version or an alpha , just unlock for Iphone users and make it clear that you will fix things later this year and it is an unsupported version

Thanks

I'm a Galaxy Note 4 user about to switch to the iPhone 6+. In discussing this with others wanting to make the switch to ios the search is on to get a good note taking app on the iPhone 6+.

A version of Penultimate for iPhone 6+ would make the transition really smooth. I'm not a developer or anything but how difficult would it be to have such an app in 2015.

Apple just announced that their notes app in iOS9 will be getting a major overhaul, and one thing is it will allow you so sketch directly into a note.  

That's all I ever wanted to be able to do in iOS Evernote.

I guess I'll be switching back to Apple Notes then..

I understand that Penultimate has historically been restricted to iPad probably due to the limitations of screen size imposed by the iPhone. However, now that the iPhone 6 and 6+ have larger screens, will are there any plans to make it available for iPhone?

The iPhone 6 plus has completely changed the way I use my Apple devices, I rarely use my iPad at all now 

Likewise, though I'm no longer bothered as I use Goodnotes for all my handwritten notes, and evernote for everything else.    I'm really not interested in running two separate apps, switching between them is just too clunky, the only way it would be useful to me would be to have handwriting built in to Evernote.  I have loads of occasions when I'm taking notes and just need to insert a very quick scribbled diagram, but switching apps mid-flow just doesn't work in practice. Too slow.

Great to have some actual feedback from Evernote so thank you for that @cifip.

I must admit I still don't know why you can't prioritise an app for the iPhone. Why not start with the 6 plus to get a prototype out there for feedback (might be biased as I have a 6 plus :).

The iPhone 6 plus has completely changed the way I use my Apple devices, I rarely use my iPad at all now and have sold my iPad mini as I just don't see the point of it any more.

You can see from this thread that there is a huge demand and as I mentioned in a previous post I have cancelled my evernote/penultimate subscription until this feature is available. I can't be the only one.

Penultimate is a great product but it won't be long before someone does something just as good and makes it available on the iPhone - you mention having to do this for 4 screen sizes which is fine but other devs seem to be able to cope. I want to re-subscribe to evernote/penultimate but will take an alternative as soon as it is available - do you want to lose customers to new competition?

Please have a word with the product owner and get a black ops dev team on it :)

David

Thank you @Cifip for responding. I realize you probably have a lot of iPad users but I rarely use it on iPad. I have my iPhone with me at all times. That is where I use Evernote. iPad is too big to carry around (even the mini). iPhone is more useful

• Level 5

Hi all,

Thanks for the feedback - I'm glad to hear that there is demand for an iPhone version of Penultimate.

Since the release of Penultimate 6.0, we've been working very hard to respond to user feedback and improve the iPad writing experience and overall user experience to exceed the old Penultimate. While we've made great strides, we're not quite there yet. All of our energy has been focused on that, and I hope all of you have seen the improvements in each release.

Once we get to a much better place on the iPad, we'll consider extending the app to the iPhone. This is not an easy extension since there are four different screen sizes to accommodate, and we want to make sure that if we do extend to the iPhone that it's an awesome experience.

Stay tuned.

Cheers,

Chuck

Dear Evernote guys,

this discussion has been going on for months.

As you can see, there is quite a lot of demand for Penultimate on the IPhone.

Instead of just not commenting on this, could you possibly explain your partly paying users why you haven't introduced it?

Best,

D

iPhone lovers! Listen listen…

Would you like to take part in having Penultimate be I mmediately built for the iPhone 6 and iPhone 6 Plus?

Read my post. Then reply as I instruct…

I intend to rally all of you readers, including all free as well as paid subscribers of either the personal or the enterprise-level Products… to chime in and reply. If you feel this adaptation should be executed the top priority, please reply to this thread with:

"I second Shawn McKendry's demand."

I just want to tell you, I can write a dissertation on why Evernote needs to pump this project to the top of their development priorities..

I am putting out a challenge for 48 business hours from now ... for a Representative or Employee (whom can speak for both Penultimate and Evernote), to give us hey reply on this thread with a comprehensive and real answer on whether there is (or is not) a FIRM timeline for a beta launch for the iPhone 6 &/or iPhone 6+ Versions of Penltimate.

If there IS a timeline for beta launch, We also demand to have a reply within 48 business hours, also including the project's goal of a "by when date" to beta launch (that is, the open public launch).

We would like an answer within 48 business hours. That is, no later than when we wake up on Wednesday morning October 14, 2014. Please reply subscribers…if you agree, seconding this formal request.

And... Even if an Evernote representative doesn't come on to read it within that 48 hours, please please please just keep putting your replies and your seconding my demand.(I made it for you to copy and paste above). In fact, feel free to post multiple times because we are a voice, and we are allowed to speak more than once. Eventually, they will bring this thread and CR overwhelming support with the relative amount of time in which we began posting the multiple demands. Let's do this people!

This will give them an overwhelming level of motivation & will show them we mean business as paying clients. And meaning business means willing to pay for something as long as it accommodates the most abundant percentage of devices used, which soon will be the new iPhone 6 and 6+.

And as enterprise-level clients, we would like to know the answers and whether or not that fits into practical platform of usability that we desire as community.

And in case any brass executive level types at either application are listening… Here is the message that we are expressing, if I didn't come across as such prior: $$$$$$$$$$ ;-)

Yes people… What I'm saying is, how could you not allow yourself to immediately move into the market of the iPhone 6 users, who now have the real estate screen size and processing power and storage, as well as the capability to comfortably handle and carry the device everywhere. This means lighter mobile workers which means more productivity without as many things to have to worry about charging and updating and having ready for performance.

Those that increasingly don't like using their iPad now that we have larger iPhones, more and more he will be seen the iPad casual usage maybe supplanted with more and more respective time moved onto the iPhone, because of the enhanced experience and the very successful notion that a fabric serve both purposes.

Of course it makes sense that the most attractive ancillary partner application (being Penultimate), it would be quite foolish and a massive cascading amount of overflowing revenue lost, if a functional addition is not working by the end of Q4 2014. That means we need a beta no later then 11/15. … Come on Penultimate.

That is all!

~ Shawn Mckendry.

This would be absolutely awesome, I would really love to jot notes down on my iPhone using Penultimate. When I switched to the iPhone 6 Plus I felt as though I didn't need both a tablet and a phone anymore, and lost my ability to use Penultimate. I've since migrated to a Moleskine which is fine, but it just means I need to carry around another thing and it complicates my workflow having to take a photo of every page I write.

Please bring Penultimate to the iPhone 6 Plus!

I absolutely believe that Penultimate on the new iPhone 6+ will immediately add millions of Evernote users. A promotion will be inevitable for whoever champions this project.

Let's get this done people! Beat all the other bozos to the market before years end, and watch the boon for your sales and marketing team. I'll be waiting with baited breath for this!

• Level 5*

... In fact, feel free to post multiple times because we are a voice, and we are allowed to speak more than once...

Well, that is quite the impassioned post.  I will give you credit for that but I wouldn't hold your breath for an official response from Evernote.  They rarely pre-announce features and they have never AFAIK provided a timeline.

Concerning the part I quoted, please do not multi-post.  It is against the forum Code of Conduct.  In particular, see #5.

Being a Evernote Premium, user of Penultimate with Jot Script, I support the introduction of Penultimate for iphone 6 6+ with the help of Jot also to introduce handwriting.

In fact, I am thinking to change to android and Samsung Note with the S-pen. That is the quality of experience I would want to have in iphone, and only Evernote with Penultimate and the help of Adonit people can match.

As far as iphone 6 and 6+ are already in the market for some time now, and the help of IOS 8 already present in ipad, then my expectation from EVERNOTE is to have it available soon.

And the Evernote community deserve to know this kind of information in advance.

Waiting for your news, Evernote people.

OK I just assumed Penultimate would be available on the iPhone, 6 or 6+.

I just got the 6+ hoping to leave the iPad at home while still being able to take notes that show up in Evernote.

A big yes for iPhone 6 and Plus support. Even a stripped down version to sync to Evernote would be a great start.

Thanks

Jim

This would be absolutely awesome, I would really love to jot notes down on my iPhone using Penultimate. When I switched to the iPhone 6 Plus I felt as though I didn't need both a tablet and a phone anymore, and lost my ability to use Penultimate. I've since migrated to a Moleskine which is fine, but it just means I need to carry around another thing and it complicates my workflow having to take a photo of every page I write.

Please bring Penultimate to the iPhone 6 Plus!

I totally agree! I do not want to go for another app that does not sync with Evernote -  

I must ask, getting this app on an iPhone 6 + which I encourage and applaud, would be anywhere as integrated as the S Pen is on the Note 4 with its easy of cutting and pasting, note taking, attaching, etc. or is it a limited function over all?

@OlliesBlog

Would you be more open & more likely to recommend that others purchase the full version of Evernote and their partner products if you could rely that they all features and applications would work on your single device?

Yes, I'd recommend it more but even better than that I'd simply use it more which around my work and business would cause people to see that and follow suit.

• Level 5*

This is a user forum, occasionally staff will post. They almost never discuss their roadmap - so don't hold your breath on them telling you whether this is ever going to happen or not.

I never instructed anyone to post multiple times in this specific thread.

Multiple postings can mean going out to create multiple threads in fact, and everyone has the right to do so to create as much exposure while also being compliant with the rest of the rules.

If your voices want to be heard, take the 30 seconds to create an account, login right now, and then come back to this thread and voice your concerns! We must be heard iPhone 6 owners!

Archived