RESOLVED: How to Fix Slow Startup/Exit of Evernote on Win7

Alan Rew

I've been using Evernote Premium for a couple of years, mostly without issues, until recently on Windows 7.

I couldn't find an official 'bug submission' route on the Evenote website.

Currently using

5.6.4.4632 (272632) Public

on

Windows 7 Professional 64-bit

as well as

Windows XP Pro SP3 32-bit

On Win XP it starts quickly and quits quickly.

On Win 7 it takes a long time to start and to exit. Even after a manual sync, it takes ages to exit.

This is a pain, as I want to completely close Evernote before hibernating/suspending my PC, for security reasons.

Is this a known issue? Couldn't find it on this forum.

Thanks in anticipation for any advice.

• Level 5*

The difference may be that you have 'sync before exit' checked in Tools > Options > Sync;  Evernote will wait until it has saved any changes online before quitting,  and depending on the traffic on your system (and theirs) it could take a while.  Provided you don't use another device to change those notes in the meantime there's no major reason not to untick the box...

• Level 5*

I've been using Evernote Premium for a couple of years, mostly without issues, until recently on Windows 7.

I couldn't find an official 'bug submission' route on the Evenote website.

Currently using

on

Windows 7 Professional 64-bit

as well as

Windows XP Pro SP3 32-bit

On Win XP it starts quickly and quits quickly.

On Win 7 it takes a long time to start and to exit. Even after a manual sync, it takes ages to exit.

This is a pain, as I want to completely close Evernote before hibernating/suspending my PC, for security reasons.

Is this a known issue? Couldn't find it on this forum.

Thanks in anticipation for any advice.

Having set (checked) the "sync before exit" will not affect startup, and as you stated that it takes a long time to exit even after a manual sync, so I'm thinking there is something else causing the problem.

You can submit a Bug Report via the EN Support Ticket (link below).  Just start the Ticket Title with "BUG:".

• Level 5*

If you're really at the stage of nuking everything from orbit,  and subject to no unsynced notes,  local notebooks and a full backup,  you could try Revo uninstaller (if you haven't already) to remove the bits of software that other uninstallers don't touch...

I closed Evernote, renamed my top-level 'Databases' folder & restarted Evernote so it can sync back from the cloud to my PC.

After syncing, Evernote is a lot quicker to start  & stop.

I'll watch this for a day or two to make sure the problem is really solved, then report back.

Thanks everybody for all your input.

I closed Evernote, renamed my top-level 'Databases' folder & restarted Evernote so it can sync back from the cloud to my PC.

After syncing, Evernote is a lot quicker to start  & stop.

I'll watch this for a day or two to make sure the problem is really solved, then report back.

Thanks everybody for all your input.

True. :) :) :)  The "syncing back from the cloud" solution completely solved the slow Launch and Exit problem. Thank you Alan Rew for the the solution and also for opening this thread.

I had exactly the same problem : "On Win 7 it takes a long time to start and to exit. Even after a manual sync, it takes ages to exit"

I'm posting now detailed (with a few "safety" notes) steps for how to solve this issue:

1. Just to be safe (it's not part of the solution) export all your notes.

Edit:

For export/import notes see https://evernote.com/contact/support/kb/#/article/28607737

2. First, make sure "synchronize in the background" checkbox is checked.

3. Perform a manual sync (a simple click on the sync button).

4. Open Evernote > Tools > options > General

Copy the path from "Evernote Local files" (see the red box in the screenshot) and locate it in your windows explorer (but wait ! :excl: don't yet rename/change anything. you must quit/exit evernote first).

YEjt9B3.png

5. Right-click on the evernote icon in window's Notification Area Icons tray and choose "quit evernote" (note that clicking the "x" top-right button of Evernote's window only closes the window and doesn't exit evernote).

Be sure to wait patiently (it took me almost a minute) that Evernote really exited (use a windows task manager if you're not sure) .If you usually get "Exiting Evernote will disable all clipping functionality" message then then wait for it to pop and when it pops confirm with yes.

6. Open again Windows Eplorer and Rename the folder "Databases" to "Databases-RENAMED".

7. Launch Evernote again . At first you'll see "zero notes" but immediately Evernote will sync all your notes from the "cloud" to your desktop Evernote. (my 1500 notes took 2 minutes to sync).

8. Again, just to be safe (it's not part of the solution) export again all your notes.

Edit:

For export/import notes see https://evernote.com/contact/support/kb/#/article/28607737

9. Evernote created a new "Databases" folder so now you can archive/compress (zip) that old "Databases-RENAMED" folder and move it to where you backup your files.

Evernote launches for me now in "zero seconds" and also exits very fast.

BTW - The size of my old "Databases" folder was 80MB and now it's only 44MB !!

Win 7 64 bit

• Level 5*

Y'all did note that exporting to ENEX files doesn't necessarily preserve either notebook structure or tags unless you choose Options when exporting (to keep tags) and save each notebook to individual ENEX files so's you can import them the same way?

Y'all did note that exporting to ENEX files doesn't necessarily preserve either notebook structure or tags unless you choose Options when exporting (to keep tags) and save each notebook to individual ENEX files so's you can import them the same way?

Thanks for pointing out these things. I've edited my post to include a reference to your post and to https://evernote.com/contact/support/kb/#/article/28607737.

• Level 5*

I can't figure out how to edit the title of a thread so I'll just say this is now SOLVED (at least for me).

I can change the Title for you if you'd like.

How about:  "RESOLVED:  How to Fix Slow Startup/Exit of Evernote on Win7" ?

• Level 5*

Per the OP, Alan Rew, I am changing this thread title to "RESOLVED:  How to Fix Slow Startup/Exit of Evernote on Win7"

Due to the way this forum works, it may break the links to this thread as they are now.

EDIT:  Done.  Title changed.

Per the OP, Alan Rew, I am changing this thread title to "RESOLVED:  How to Fix Slow Startup/Exit of Evernote on Win7"

Due to the way this forum works, it may break the links to this thread as they are now.

EDIT:  Done.  Title changed.

No need to worry... :)  I did a few checks and the links will work with no problem after the title change (even links to specific posts in the thread). The number after the topic in the URL remains unchanged, so do the post numbers and that's what counts.

Here's an example:

https   <====  ://discussion.evernote.com/topic/  <===  67712-any-title-will-work/#entry307240

https://discussion.evernote.com/topic/67712-any-title-will-work/#entry307240

• 3 weeks later...

Just cannot thank you enough for this, Alan. An amazing fix. Also learned all about exporting 47 notebooks in the process, lol. Databases went from 455mb to 319. Not bad.

AND, to you, LL2525, there just are no words for that superb tutorial.

I was prepared for misery since I don't have EN Premium. You guys really saved the day. My guess is that it's some kind to bug to have happened to all of us around the same time. At least if it comes back I'll know not to uninstall/reinstall again, ugh.

Now if I could find the same brilliance for the rest of my evil Windows problems - really really REALLY don't want to have to reinstall 7 (although I know I will, sigh).

• 3 weeks later...

I've gone through my own version of the process detailed in this thread once before after my Evernote Load/Unload time had increased to ~5 minutes.

I exported my database, and then uninstalled Evernote along with making sure that Evernotes database files were also deleted. I then reinstalled Evernote and allowed it to repopulate the database. I thought that solved the problem as the Evernote Load/Unload was quick again. That was in early September 2014.

At this point in time the Evernote Load/Unload times have again increased to ~4 minutes, and seem to be increasing more every day.

I often have DebugView from SysInternals running and here are the Evenote logs that seem to be the point where it's getting stuck during the Load/Unload process.

Unload:

00000001    12:20:00 PM    [4552] CBaseController::CloseBase: executed in 236.561947 sec    
00000002    12:20:00 PM    [4552] CMainFrame::OnDestroy: executed in 236.562104 sec    

Load:

00000038    12:32:43 PM    [5792] # DeliverBaseOpenedNotifications: [inAppMessageController] executed in 225.022954 sec

I'm using Evernote 5.6.4.4632 on Windows 7 Pro.

It appears to me that repopulating the Database is only a temporary fix, and the real issue is still lurking about.

This evernote database is also synced with another computer (one at work and one at home) The only computer that I've had issues with is the work computer. The other computer stills loads and unloads Evernote quickly.

Update: I've just loaded the 5.7.2 update which has apparently fixed the issue. Evernote took ~10 minutes to response after updating, Once it came up though, shutdown and startup times were now quick when they were taking ~5 minutes for each.

• Level 5*

It appears to me that repopulating the Database is only a temporary fix, and the real issue is still lurking about.

I've long thought that that repopulating the database  (or the debug Optimize Database) were not really good fixes for most of the problems that they're pointed at (though they must fix some things -- otherwise they wouldn't be made available at all, right?). I have noticed the slow shutdown thing before, but only on the rare occasions that I actually unload Evernote; the DebugView information would seem to indicate that it's some synchronization hangup -- could it be waiting for notification that a particular note hasn't been modified on another device? Hard to tell with this little to go on, but good detective work anyways.

Archived