Evernote for Mac 5.6

Jackolicious

Idea

• Level 5

Hey all!

After 10 betas, Evernote for Mac 5.6 is finally out! Here's the link: http://goo.gl/3KLwXd

This is an absolutely massive release with tons of bug fixes and tremendous speed improvements. This will also accelerate the pace of our development going forward. The whole team is looking forward to your feedback!

Release notes:

At Evernote, we believe that speed and stability are essential for productivity. That’s why we’ve completely rewritten Evernote for Mac. It may look familiar but it's significantly faster, more reliable and consumes less energy than ever before. We’ve also snuck in some new features!
Speed:

• Sync is more than 3x faster. Users with lots of shared notebooks and Evernote Business users will see the biggest improvements.
  • New notes sync instantly so they’re immediately accessible on your other devices.
  • Share notes without waiting for a sync to complete.
  • Launch and quit times have been reduced dramatically.
  • New keyboard shortcuts have been added to jump to the note list for easy navigation (CMD + |) and you can now tab between the search field, the note list, current note title and note body.
  • Energy consumption when the app is idle has been significantly reduced.

Stability:

• We’ve closed over 500 bugs including more than 150 types of crashes.
  • Our crash reporting system has been completely rebuilt.

New features:

• Tables can now be resized, and have configurable background colors and border styles.
  • Images can be resized right in the note editor. Just click an image and drag the handle in the bottom right corner.
  • Search results are now ordered by relevance.
  • Faster notebook selector at the top of the note list remembers your recently used notebooks.
  • Redesigned checkboxes in the note editor are easier to click.
  • Evernote will now stay logged in by default.
  • Search your notes with Spotlight.

• Level 5*

Thanks Jack.

Everyone should be aware that this is a complete re-write of EN Mac from the ground up (was noted by Jack in the early Betas).

Jack, could you please give us some details:

• Major bugs that were fixed since 5.5.2
  • New features
  • Features that were dropped, or significantly changed.
    • For example, links to local files are no longer supported

Thanks.

EDIT:  Jack, thanks for adding in all the details on your original post.  That really helps!

But it would still be nice to see the major bugs that were fixed.

This update is a catastrophe for me.

Nothing is working:

the content of the notes is not loading 

the tags are no longer working

the tag selector keeps reseting while i'm tapping

I WOULD LIKE TO KNOW WHERE MY EVERNOTE DATA WENT IN MY FINDER? 

I want to keep using the old version until you guys figure your stuff out because this is really problematic.

Where did all my data go?

please reply ASAP

• Level 5*

Data location

If you downloaded directly it's in user/library/application support/evernote
If you downloaded from the app store it's here ~/Library/Containers/com.evernote.Evernote
And, if you have an iMac with a fusion drive, it might be here
/Library/Containers/com.evernote.Evernote/Data/Library/Application Support/Evernote/account/<your username>/ 

Huge problem here too: Since the update most of my note content takes for ever to display.

10-20 seconds to display a simple note! :-(

EDIT: The problem seems to have settled now. I was not informed by the update process that some kind of migration was taking place in the background. It would really have been a good idea to display some kind of information!

• Level 5

Mike, is it syncing while you're experiencing the delay? During the migration process, some lagginess can occur. 

No, it wasn't syncing, but it must have done something invisibly in the background which has now settled.

Thanks!

:)

• Level 5*

Please give migration some time to finish. The new location is for our direct download version:

~/Library/Application Support/com.evernote.Evernote

So, is this a change from the EN Mac 5.5.2 location?  If so, has the EN KB been updated?

This should be in the Release Notes as lots of people use Time Machine to backup Evernote.

I just upgraded to 5.6, and I can confirm that on 10.7.5, it the release version continues to crash when moving notes, the same problem that existed for me from at least beta 7 to beta 10. I have submitted crash reports for the release version, and a support ticket as well, in addition to process samples for the crashes I had in the beta version. Hopefully a solution will be around the corner.

For any other users like me who are an 10.7.5, I would advise staying on 5.5.2 until this problem is sorted out, or at least keeping a copy of that version backed up so you can roll back if needed. This problem makes Evernote very, very unreliable and is a frequent interruption to getting work done. 

• Level 5*

For any other users like me who are an 10.7.5, I would advise staying on 5.5.2 until this problem is sorted out, or at least keeping a copy of that version backed up so you can roll back if needed. This problem makes Evernote very, very unreliable and is a frequent interruption to getting work done. 

I don't know if it is possible to downgrade from v5.6 to v5.5.2, without doing a complete uninstall of v5.6 (app and data), and then a clean install of v5.5.2 along with a full sync from the Evernote Cloud.  Of course you would have to export all Local Notebooks.  It looks like the location of the Evernote folder has changed, and maybe the Evernote database as well.

Perhaps the best approach is to do a full TM backup of v5.5.2 before the upgrade.  Then, if v5.6 doesn't work well, you could uninstall it and restore v5.5.2 from TM backup.

Jack, can you clarify this?  What's the process to downgrade to v5.5.2?

Spotlight search is not working for me.

mdimport -L shows

"/Applications/Evernote.app/Contents/Library/Spotlight/EvernoteSpotlightImporter.mdimporter",

among others. But that is the only Evernote.

I tried 

mdimport -r /Applications/Evernote.app/Contents/Library/Spotlight/EvernoteSpotlightImporter.mdimporter

but that does nothing.

I even tried re-scanning the whole spotlight database, nothing.

Anything else I could try? OS X v10.9.5, Evernote 5.6.0 (450741 Direct)

• Level 5*

mdimport -L shows

"/Applications/Evernote.app/Contents/Library/Spotlight/EvernoteSpotlightImporter.mdimporter",

I tried 

mdimport -r /Applications/Evernote.app/Contents/Library/Spotlight/EvernoteSpotlightImporter.mdimporter

but that does nothing.

Are you using the Apple store version? If so, change to the direct download and that may solve the problem. Here are instructions, if you need them.

http://www.christopher-mayo.com/?p=135

Please give migration some time to finish. The new location is for our direct download version:

Hey Jack,

So Evernote has a new location AND a new directory naming structure? 

A few questions:

I now have a folder simply called "old" which is 11gig  on top of what appears to be my "new" evernote data.

Is that "old" folder an exact backup copy of my data pre-update?

Could I potentially rename this "old" folder "evernote" and copy it to the Application support folder and run 5.5.2?

Does 5.6 need this "old" data to run?

How long do I have to keep this "old" data on my drive ?

Thank you. 

Greetings to all,

I'm as excited about this update as everyone else.   I dont' have a lot of notes, or I don't think I do, but my EN won't stop syncing.  I have look most all the notes that I use and everything seems to be downloaded and ready to go.  For whatever reason the sync arrows won't stop spinning.

Is that normal? And if it is, how long can I expect them to be syncing?

Quick question: why did my latest Beta (10) did not detect there was "new" final release out?   I found out about it, by doing a "check for updates" manually first.....

it could not connect... and then I got over to this page here... to find a post that there is a final release out.   The "check" & "upgrade" process is still not optimal....

Now... I am going to explore the new final release... ;-)

Keep up the good work ! 

BR

• Level 5*

Honestly, even I'm getting bored of how bad you lot are at documenting stuff.

I don't necessarily agree with some people who believe that every feature and function requires copious amounts of documentation. But seriously, this kind of thing affects every single user of your direct download software. If at some point my installation breaks and I want to go to a back up to fix it then I'm going to be screwed if I'm backing up the wrong location.

This just requires a single line in your release notes and a little more care.

Greetings to all,

I'm as excited about this update as everyone else.   I dont' have a lot of notes, or I don't think I do, but my EN won't stop syncing.  I have look most all the notes that I use and everything seems to be downloaded and ready to go.  For whatever reason the sync arrows won't stop spinning.

It has stopped syncing now and seems to be working good.  If I run into more problems Ill ask here.  So far Im liking the new version.  Thank you for all that you do!!!

Proper internal links seem to be back - thanks!

And number outlining seems to be a bit more robust. 

Picture resizing is very useful. 

What do you mean the number outlining is a bit more robust? It still doesn't make a proper outline ie, if I indent after #1 it should be #1 again.....right?  

mdimport -L shows

I tried 

but that does nothing.

Are you using the Apple store version? If so, change to the direct download and that may solve the problem. Here are instructions, if you need them.

Nope. Direct download. Just updated it with "Evernote->Check for Updates".

mdimport -L shows

I tried 

but that does nothing.

Reading the article above, I noticed that my evernote library is not in any one of the places listed there. It is on

/Users/jmvidal/Library/Application Support/com.evernote.Evernote/accounts

'du -h' tells me I have 2.3G of notes there, so, a lot, maybe that's the issue?

I just deleted the 'accounts' directory above, uninstalled evernote, downloaded a new one from the website, installed that, ran it, waited for it to re-download the 2.3G of notes.

Now Spotlight works.

I just upgraded to 5.6, and I can confirm that on 10.7.5, it the release version continues to crash when moving notes, the same problem that existed for me from at least beta 7 to beta 10. I have submitted crash reports for the release version, and a support ticket as well, in addition to process samples for the crashes I had in the beta version. Hopefully a solution will be around the corner.

Note — The database format has changed from 5.5.2 to 5.6.0 — a new copy of your data would need to be re-downloaded from the cloud.

Greetings to all,

It has stopped syncing now and seems to be working good.  If I run into more problems Ill ask here.  So far Im liking the new version.  Thank you for all that you do!!!

Mine is doing the same - it just keeps syncing even though everything seems to be there and working.

How long did yours take to stop?  What is happening during this process?

Greetings to all,

Mine is doing the same - it just keeps syncing even though everything seems to be there and working.

How long did yours take to stop?  What is happening during this process?

I

I had to go to work so I don't know for sure. When I got back it was done.  I couldn't tell what it was doing either.   Just give it some time and see what happens

I am disappointed that the annoying note merging issue that I have reported here several times from the very beginning is still present after 10 betas.

I have now filed a bug report.  I don't see the point in giving feedback on beta releases in the future if they make no difference whatsoever anyway.  

Hey Jack,

So Evernote has a new location AND a new directory naming structure? 

A few questions:

I now have a folder simply called "old" which is 11gig  on top of what appears to be my "new" evernote data.

Is that "old" folder an exact backup copy of my data pre-update?

Could I potentially rename this "old" folder "evernote" and copy it to the Application support folder and run 5.5.2?

Does 5.6 need this "old" data to run?

How long do I have to keep this "old" data on my drive ?

Thank you. 

Is it safe to delete ~Library/Application Support/com.evernote.Evernote/old ??

I am an intensive user with 500 notes. Today I updated to the latest version of 5.6.0. When I tried to search "subject to" in my evernote, I got missed.

About 2 or 3 years before, the global search worked fine: both exact search and partly search were supported. But later your talented designer limited the capability of global search to only OR search, which means if I wanted to search "subject to", I have to use the global search for "subject" and then for each of the results, try to find "subject to" using the in-page search -- at that time, exact search was still maintained for in-page search.

However, today, your talented designer made a step further! Even in-page search is deprived of EXACT search capability! Please tell me how could I locate my notes with the phrase "subject to"? Don't tell me it's a technical problem or in the sake of efficiency. OneNote supports both EXACT and PARTLY search!!

Suppose how your user would frustrate if he keeps feeding information in your software, but your software cannot retrieve the right note for him when he really needs it!  No one will use a note software in which information entered is like being thrown into the sea!

Proper internal links seem to be back - thanks!

And number outlining seems to be a bit more robust. 

Picture resizing is very useful. 

What do you mean the number outlining is a bit more robust? It still doesn't make a proper outline ie, if I indent after #1 it should be #1 again.....right?  

Yes - that is how it is working - indent and unindent cause appropriate numbering changes in children. I'd given up using the outlining in EN some time ago, so this may have changed for the better sooner. 

In AppleScript, in the query string passed to the "find notes" verb, the notebook: directive no longer works at all (Whereas tag: still works as expected). Perhaps there are other problems there as well, but, this is the one I noticed. It has very much broken my integration between Evernote and OmniFocus putting Evernote distinctly on my... "find an alternative product" list. What's especially sad about this bug is that the directive works just fine in the client's own search box. It's bizarre to me that these strings would be parsed differently.

• Level 5*

In AppleScript, in the query string passed to the "find notes" verb, the notebook: directive no longer works at all (Whereas tag: still works as expected). Perhaps there are other problems there as well, but, this is the one I noticed. It has very much broken my integration between Evernote and OmniFocus putting Evernote distinctly on my... "find an alternative product" list. What's especially sad about this bug is that the directive works just fine in the client's own search box. It's bizarre to me that these strings would be parsed differently.

This greatly concerns me.

@Jack:  Many of us depend daily on AppleScript to import files, import Outlook mail (& other items), and other tasks.

Since EN Mac does NOT provide a file import function (like EN Win), it is critical that AppleScript work.

I do hope you guys thoroughly tested the EN/Applescript interface before making this release.

• Level 5

I'm getting bored of how bad you lot are at documenting stuff.

Our docs team is on this. We cannot document every change in the release notes. I hope our responsiveness on the forums help until our docs are up-to-date.

So after updating, will my 10 GB local database be copied or will it be moved? Do I now have a second (old) copy of my database somewhere?

They will be copied, but deleted within a week to reduce hard drive space consumption.

That's correct. List handling was one of the biggest things we fixed in this release... and we're just getting started with our editor :)

How long did yours take to stop [syncing]?  What is happening during this process?

This depends on the size of your database. It's re-indexing everything for faster/better search. It's also prepping things for Spotlight.

I am disappointed that the annoying note merging issue that I have reported here several times from the very beginning is still present after 10 betas.

I have now filed a bug report.  I don't see the point in giving feedback on beta releases in the future if they make no difference whatsoever anyway.  

We filed it as a bug. I'm terribly sorry it hasn't been fixed yet. We can't get to everything before every release but we do truly appreciate the feedback. 

Is it safe to delete ~Library/Application Support/com.evernote.Evernote/old ??

This will happen automatically once the "migration dust settles" (syncing and re-indexing complete and some time has passed) but if you'd like to do this on your own, it shouldn't cause an issue.

I am an intensive user with 500 notes. Today I updated to the latest version of 5.6.0. When I tried to search "subject to" in my evernote, I got missed. Please tell me how could I locate my notes with the phrase "subject to"? Don't tell me it's a technical problem or in the sake of efficiency. OneNote supports both EXACT and PARTLY search!!

Type the phrase "Subject to" including the quotes.  

Please tell me a bit more (and feel free to PM me). We did a lot of testing, but keep in mind, this was a ground up re-write. We did our best (10 betas, extra QA, public betas, user tests) to catch everything but may have missed some things.

Thanks so much for the feedback everyone. This is great.

Please tell me a bit more (and feel free to PM me). We did a lot of testing, but keep in mind, this was a ground up re-write. We did our best (10 betas, extra QA, public betas, user tests) to catch everything but may have missed some things.

Thanks so much for the feedback everyone. This is great.

Well it's pretty simple. I have an applescript which contained, amongst other similar blocks that I redacted for clarity, the following:

tell application "Evernote"        set importedTagName to "task"    set forceImportTagName to "!"    set inboxedTag to tag importedTagName    synchronize    repeat while isSynchronizing        delay (2)    end repeat    set unprocessedNotes to find notes "notebook:\"All Incoming\" -tag:\"" & importedTagName & "\""    repeat with currentNote in unprocessedNotes        set noteTitle to title of currentNote        set noteLink to note link of currentNote        tell application "OmniFocus"            tell default document                make new inbox task with properties {name:noteTitle, note:noteLink}            end tell        end tell        assign inboxedTag to currentNote    end repeat    tell application "OmniFocus"        synchronize    end tell    synchronizeend tell

And this has worked for some time. However, now, this block makes tasks in OmniFocus for *EVERY* note in my account that lacks the task tag. Running this in the Script Editor makes it clear that the query is simply not restricted by the notebook: directive in any way. It used to be. The query works as expected in the Evernote client's search box.

I use several other search queries in nearly identical blocks to add tasks for different conditions (like, new reminders anywhere in the account) and then mark them with the task tag to signify they have been reflected in my todo list (which I used to remind myself to review notes for actual actionable tasks later on.) This particular query is the only one limited by notebook and would be willing to just iterate all the notes in the appropriate notebook and act on those that lacked the task tag, but, I can't figure out any way to do that in AppleScript. It seems impossible to actually tell if a given note has a given tag via AppleScript. I don't claim to be any AppleScript expert, so, I just assume I'm wrong about that. But I have been digging and have never yet seen an example of how to manage this. (Edit: I finally found a way to do some tag comparisons that is workable. Inefficient but workable.) That said, with the old query, it was not necessary and using Evernote via AppleScript was quite easy. And while it's the only query I use that has the notebook: restriction, it's 100% the most important for me.

BTW, anyone interested in the complete script (which I have fixed to deal with the broken notebook: query directive) for harvesting Evernote notes into OmniFocus, you can find it here: https://gist.github.com/ztj/05117207ab80627baac0

It puts Evernote's native evernote:// note link into the note section of the OmniFocus task which is super great since that works across iOS platforms as well as the Mac to get you to your relevant Evernote note ASAP.

The basic gist (no pun intended) is that your default notebook, all notes with "!" tagged, and all notes with incomplete reminders will be scanned. If they lack the "task" tag, a task will be added to OmniFocus's inbox for that note then the note will be tagged. You can easily change the script's idea of what your default notebook is, what the "task" tag should be and what the "!" tag (for forcing a note to be treated as a potential task regardless of location) should be.

I personally run this every ten minutes from cron using osascript. Basically the applescript is appended to a shell script that looks like:

#!/bin/shexec <"$0" || exit; read v; read v; exec /usr/bin/osascript - "$@"; exit

That causes the shell script to read everything after that second line and pass it into osascript. A handy trick for making an executable applescript for use with cron or other tools on the shell.

I am an intensive user with 500 notes. Today I updated to the latest version of 5.6.0. When I tried to search "subject to" in my evernote, I got missed. Please tell me how could I locate my notes with the phrase "subject to"? Don't tell me it's a technical problem or in the sake of efficiency. OneNote supports both EXACT and PARTLY search!!

Type the phrase "Subject to" including the quotes.

Jackolicious, as an veteran user, I've already tried, but it does not always work. I just did a test some minute ago, it seems that "subject to" is a special case that quoted search does not work. I tried three phrases:

subject to
it is
hello all

it is can be retrieved with "it is"
hello all can be retrieved with "hello all"
but subject to cannot be retreived with "subject to"

Thank you for making progress in offering new features! But please do more test before release!
  • Level 5*

I just did a test some minute ago, it seems that "subject to" is a special case that quoted search does not work. I tried three phrases:

subject to
it is
hello all

it is can be retrieved with "it is"
hello all can be retrieved with "hello all"
but subject to cannot be retreived with "subject to"

I can confirm that EN Mac 5.5.2 fails to find notes that contain "subject to" when you search for "subject to" including the quotes.

What happened to the

vertical line spacing

in Evernote v5.6?

The tightness of the

vertical line spacing

in Evernote v5.5.2

was far more readable

AND a better match

with the iOS versions.

Help. If you can't tighten

it up by default, at LEAST

make it user-adjustable.

I am an intensive user with 500 notes. Today I updated to the latest version of 5.6.0. When I tried to search "subject to" in my evernote, I got missed.

About 2 or 3 years before, the global search worked fine: both exact search and partly search were supported. But later your talented designer limited the capability of global search to only OR search, which means if I wanted to search "subject to", I have to use the global search for "subject" and then for each of the results, try to find "subject to" using the in-page search -- at that time, exact search was still maintained for in-page search.

However, today, your talented designer made a step further! Even in-page search is deprived of EXACT search capability! Please tell me how could I locate my notes with the phrase "subject to"? Don't tell me it's a technical problem or in the sake of efficiency. OneNote supports both EXACT and PARTLY search!!

Suppose how your user would frustrate if he keeps feeding information in your software, but your software cannot retrieve the right note for him when he really needs it!  No one will use a note software in which information entered is like being thrown into the sea!

@evernoteuser2000 Thanks for the feedback. I tried to reproduce the issue you mentioned (ie., in-page search for "subject to"), but failed. If possible, could you PM me the note you had problem with, say the shared link to the note if not sensitive?

Global search is a bit different from in-note search. We do support both EXACT and PARTLY search.  Your case is a special case, due to the use of search word "to".

Short answer: Exact phrase query containing common words, like "to", "a", "the", might not work properly. This is one limitation of our current search implementation.

Long answer, in case you are interested: To achieve fast note search, we build search index based on the note text. However, words like "to", "a", "the", are so common that they could usually be found in almost every note.  One typical way to avoid bloating the search index size is to ignore those common words (aka, stop-word in seach terminology) when building search index. Unfortunately, the side-effect is the user will not be able to search for those common words, even using as part of an exact phrase query (like what you did, to search for "subject to").  With that being said, we keep evolving the search technology we use. Hopefully, we could later have an implementation which supports searching for those common words, without sacrificing the search latency and bloating the search index size too much.

We filed it as a bug. I'm terribly sorry it hasn't been fixed yet. We can't get to everything before every release but we do truly appreciate the feedback. 

Thank you, Jack. This was all I ever wanted to hear. 

Hi, lots of nice new features, image resize is very handy.

I have one major issue-- I work mostly off-grid, and I'm getting a "You are offline" popup requiring me to hit 'OK' almost every minute. I use evernote precisely because it allows me to work offline! This is driving me nuts, can we make this go away? A clicky box with "Don't tell me again" will do.

• Level 5*

mdimport -L shows

I tried 

but that does nothing.

Reading the article above, I noticed that my evernote library is not in any one of the places listed there. It is on

/Users/jmvidal/Library/Application Support/com.evernote.Evernote/accounts

'du -h' tells me I have 2.3G of notes there, so, a lot, maybe that's the issue?

I just deleted the 'accounts' directory above, uninstalled evernote, downloaded a new one from the website, installed that, ran it, waited for it to re-download the 2.3G of notes.

Now Spotlight works.

Did they move the database? I'll check this out later today by downloading the beta (I skipped this one), but that's kind of a surprise. I wish someone would have told us, since I index my Evernote data with another program (DEVONthink) and this will ***** that up.

Hi everyone,

I haven't seen anyone else mention this problem, so it's probably me and not the software, but I'll mention it anyway. Since upgrading to 5.6 I can't change fonts using the font box (command-T). I can change the font family and the font size without any problems. Some of the typefaces work (bold and italic) but the others don't. Sometimes it looks as though they're selected even though nothing has changed; other times the selection "jumps" back to either medium, bold or italic. The specific one I was trying to use is Helvetica Neue - Light (or Ultralight). Neither of them change in the note I'm editing. Notes that have been formatted using those fonts before the 5.6 update appear just fine. I can also edit those notes and have the original fonts work without a problem. I just can't change them.

Any suggestions? Am I doing something daft? :-)

I'm using Evernote 5.6.0 on OS X 10.9.5 - to my knowledge everything is up-to-date, the computer has been restarted, and I'm not having font problems in any other programs.

Elizabeth

• Level 5*

Did they move the database? I'll check this out later today by downloading the beta (I skipped this one), but that's kind of a surprise. I wish someone would have told us, since I index my Evernote data with another program (DEVONthink) and this will ***** that up.

Apparently they did move the database.  This was discussed earlier in this thread.  There was NO notice in the Release Notes.

• Level 5*

Apparently they did move the database. This was discussed earlier in this thread. There was NO notice in the Release Notes.

I would greatly appreciate more information on changes. Evernote developers are surely busy, and perhaps they think it is not important enough to mention, but we're busy too, and some of us care. I spent time putting together a web page devoted to helping lost users (of which there are many) find their databases, so I'm trying to help here, but the lack of information makes it impossible to do an adequate job. I think, just like my Evernote limits page, I'll have to give up on updating the information. This Easter Egg approach through revealing information about things like security breaches, database movement, removal of features, etc. when users stumble across them isn't helping anyone -- Evernote, developers, or users. This goes back to my tired, old refrain: Evernote needs documentation and it needs someone deeply knowledgable about every client constantly updating it on a daily basis to help customers understand Evernote and be more productive.

I write an Alfred 2 Evernote workflow and the latest Evernote app removed any clue on how to find the note location (folder or path) to make preview or quick look possible within Alfred.

Before 5.6 the local ID command gave the note folder name but now it does not.

It would be nice to have a way to get, via AppleScript, the note preview path so the Alfred quick look could work again.

• Level 5

Neither of them change in the note I'm editing. Notes that have been formatted using those fonts before the 5.6 update appear just fine. I can also edit those notes and have the original fonts work without a problem. I just can't change them.

You can’t currently set your font to a variant (Light, Bold, etc). This is a known bug.

This was not possible in 5.5.2 either. What version did you use to create those previously existing notes?

• Level 5*

Neither of them change in the note I'm editing. Notes that have been formatted using those fonts before the 5.6 update appear just fine. I can also edit those notes and have the original fonts work without a problem. I just can't change them.

You can’t currently set your font to a variant (Light, Bold, etc). This is a known bug.

This was not possible in 5.5.2 either. What version did you use to create those previously existing notes?

Adjusting, I'm not sure I follow you.  I have no problems of applying bold, italic, bold italic to text in EN Mac 5.5.2 using the Fonts dialog (Format > Show Fonts).  Of course, I can also apply these with the KB and buttons on the Note window.

But I do really appreciate your recognizing this issue as a bug in v5.6.

• Level 5*

Adjusting, I'm not sure I follow you.  I have no problems of applying bold, italic, bold italic to text in EN Mac 5.5.2 using the Fonts dialog (Format > Show Fonts).  Of course, I can also apply these with the KB and buttons on the Note window.

But I do really appreciate your recognizing this issue as a bug in v5.6.

As I understand it, font variants like Helvetica Light and that kind of stuff.

• Level 5

That’s right. The problem is not with applying formatting to text, but with selecting a default font.

The following example should illustrate the problem:

1. Open formatting preferences

2. Change the Note text font to 'Arial Bold'

3. Create a new note

4. Type in your new note

The text that you type will be 'Arial' and not 'Arial Bold'

Can someone provide working instructions to get Spotlight searches working again. I am seeing no hits in Spotlight, even for the most specific searches. Evernote seems to be using more cpu constantly (and I am way past the initial surge of cpu usage clearly).

A minor point, but we seem also to have lost the indication that a note is not yet synced. Is this a bug or a conscious decision to remove the unsynced indicator? If possible I'd like it back.........

edited: its there in card view, but not in list view. So I presume its a bug.

Regarding Spotlight issue:

1- Delete the v5.6, the entire com.evernote.Evernote folder

2- Download the app again, then let the sync re-instal the notes 

seems to resolve the Spotlight search

(I have about 2000+ notes)

I'm sorry. I don't know which version I was using before. It's (obviously) the direct download version and I have it set to update automatically. It didn't in this case, however. I read an article about an update and asked it to check for updates manually so I could get it.

As long as it's a known bug that's fine. It isn't a huge problem :-)

Thanks for the help and clarification :-)

Elizabeth

Upgrading to Mac OSX 5.6 caused me to lose all the non-synchronising notebooks on my Mac. I tried restoring the whole program from back-up - my notebooks were back. Then installed 5.6 and again all non-synchronising notebooks were deleted.

Be careful to back up fully before trying to install this version

Mac OSX 10.9.5, 27 inch iMac, 3.4 GHz i7, 32GB RAM, SSD 

• Level 5*

Upgrading to Mac OSX 5.6 caused me to lose all the non-synchronising notebooks on my Mac. I tried restoring the whole program from back-up - my notebooks were back. Then installed 5.6 and again all non-synchronising notebooks were deleted.

Be careful to back up fully before trying to install this version

Mac OSX 10.9.5, 27 inch iMac, 3.4 GHz i7, 32GB RAM, SSD 

Although I expect Jack to pickup on your post, I recommend that you also submit a bug report via the EN Support Ticket (link below).  Just start the Ticket Title with "BUG:  ".

This is an extremely serious bug since it causes loss of data.  If this bug is confirmed by Evernote (very quickly I hope), then they should pull the update until it is fixed.

I can see how this brute-force method will work, but I really hope there is a workaround. I can't afford to sync back the 10k+ docs I have.

Can someone from Evernote team comment?

I'd like to report that exact phrase searches still do not work properly on the Mac. This has been going on since 2011...

https://discussion.evernote.com/topic/27306-can-i-really-not-perform-a-literal-text-search/
https://discussion.evernote.com/topic/26839-bug-search-still-broken-after-months-of-promises-to-fix/
https://discussion.evernote.com/topic/25429-bug-search-problems-occurring-since-at-least-310-beta-1/
https://discussion.evernote.com/topic/18101-bug-local-mac-db-always-shows-wrong-search-results/
https://discussion.evernote.com/topic/17739-search-function-not-working-properly/
Very good example --> https://discussion.evernote.com/topic/63195-exact-string-search-trouble/
https://discussion.evernote.com/topic/22127-cant-search-for-exact-string/

Here's a search that I just ran in a note...

1. Lead quote, no trailing quote... it finds all instances of the words in the phrase (as expected):

Screenshot%202014-09-25%2012.21.45.png?d

2. Double quotes on both ends of the string... it ignores some of the full phrases:

Screenshot%202014-09-25%2012.21.55.png?d

...but finds other instances of it further down in the note:

Screenshot%202014-09-25%2012.22.07.png?d

• Level 5*

I'd like to report that exact phrase searches still do not work properly on the Mac. This has been going on since 2011...

This is really unacceptable.  It's like having an elephant with alzheimer's, you think it remembers EVERYTHING, but it really doesn't.

Inaccurate Evernote Search is one of the three major issues I have with Evernote.

There are two main Search BUGs:

1. Inaccurate results on a specific platform (like the issue above)
  2. Different Search results on different platforms

Evernote undoubtedly spent a lot of time developing the EN Mac "natural language search".  It's nice, and I even use it occasionally.

But I would have much preferred the time be spent on resolving/fixing existing Search bugs/issues.

• Level 5

We tried to extensively in-house to reproduce this. Please PM me with activity logs.

I have one major issue-- I work mostly off-grid, and I'm getting a "You are offline" popup requiring me to hit 'OK' almost every minute. I use evernote precisely because it allows me to work offline! This is driving me nuts, can we make this go away? A clicky box with "Don't tell me again" will do.

We've reproduced this in-house and have a fix in the works. Thanks so much for reporting it!

Apparently they did move the database. This was discussed earlier in this thread. There was NO notice in the Release Notes.

I would greatly appreciate more information on changes. 

Our documentation team is on it!

A minor point, but we seem also to have lost the indication that a note is not yet synced. Is this a bug or a conscious decision to remove the unsynced indicator? If possible I'd like it back.........

edited: its there in card view, but not in list view. So I presume its a bug.

The sync has not been removed from list view. Try right-clicking on a column header.

This is really unacceptable.  It's like having an elephant with alzheimer's, you think it remembers EVERYTHING, but it really doesn't.

The issue described is a find-within-note issue. We've logged this as a ticket and will get to it as quickly as possible. 

• Level 5*

We tried to extensively in-house to reproduce this. Please PM me with activity logs.

Thanks for getting on this so quickly Jack.

So, do you think that this problem is limited to EGwyn?  Have you had any other reports of this?

• Level 5*

Cool.

after update

all my "offline" Notes / Notebooks are gone.

I had more than 40k notes,

now there is 15k.

any advice?

my last backup is way too old to cover loses

By "offline" Notebooks, do you mean "Local notebooks" ?

If so, then sounds like the same issue as posted above.

Since you don't have a backup, the only possibility I can think of is that maybe the Notes that were in your Local NBs are now in the Mac Trash.  I don't really know, but it's worth checking.

While I certainly don't excuse the behavior of the Evernote App, consider this a lesson learned:  ALWAYS backup your own data -- don't rely on any App or Service to protect your data.

Since you don't have a backup, the only possibility I can think of is that maybe the Notes that were in your Local NBs are now in the Mac Trash.  I don't really know, but it's worth checking.

Yes Local notebooks.

in the trash, there is only: Evernote (402634).app

do I have to restore this one?

• Level 5*

Yes Local notebooks.

Restoring the app won't help recover your lost data.

EN Mac stores all of it Notes as files, with one folder per Note.

Recovery prospects are not very good at this point.  The only thing that comes to mind is for you to use some type of file utility that can recover deleted files.  Sorry, but I don't have any recommendations for this type of utility.  But you could google "mac recover deleted files" and that should give you some choices.

Let's hope that Jack will jump in here soon to offer some advice.  I don't know what happens when you update to a new version, but there might be an "old" folder with all of your data prior to the update.  Take a look at the previous posts in this thread -- I think there was some discussion about this.

Good luck!

Yes Local notebooks.

I'm on the direct version of 5.6, and upon installing my data now resides at ~/Library/Application Support/com.evernote.Evernote.

Inside that folder, among other things, is a folder called "old". Apparently it contains your pre-5.6 note data. Maybe there is some way you can retrieve your missing notebooks from it. Jack says that folder will be automatically deleted not too long after upgrading, so make a copy asap.

• Level 5

Cool.

after update

now there is 15k.

any advice?

my last backup is way too old to cover loses

Please contact support if you lose local notebooks during an upgrade and the following does not help. We have been unable to reproduce this issue in-house despite heavy testing. 

Your notes are automatically backed up when migrating to 5.6. They are located here:

~/Library/Application Support/com.evernote.Evernote/old

If you'd like to recover from a failed migration, perform the following steps:

1. Quit all versions of Evernote.

2. Create the directory ~/Library/Application Support/Evernote/accounts/Evernote

3. Copy ~/Library/Application Support/com.evernote.Evernote/old/to-migrate/Evernote into the directory your created at step 2

4. Download and run Evernote 5.5.2, located here: http://goo.gl/BcRshG

Your old Evernote should be operational again. Take this opportunity to back up your local notes. 

If you have local notebooks, please, please, please ALWAYS BACK UP YOUR NOTES REGULARLY. THEY ARE NOT BACKED UP BY EVERNOTE. 

What happened to the vertical line spacing in Evernote v5.6?

The biggest problem for me about the changes to vertical line spacing is that they've removed the additional line spacing before and after bullet point lists. I make many bullet point lists in my notes and they all look awful now as they were written with the assumption that this line spacing existed before and after the bullet point lists. Now I face a dilemma, do I modify all my notes to manually insert blank lines to make them look how they used to look or do I wait and see if Evernote is going to change the formatting back to how it used to be. If I do manually change the formatting of all my notes by adding in blank lines then I face the additional problem of the Evernote for iOS app still formatting my notes in the old, 5.5.2 style formatting which is inconsistent with the new 5.6 style formatting! Please can somebody in Evernote confirm whether this change in formatting is intentional or whether you are going to change it back again in some future release and whether the iOS app will also be changed to be consistent with the Mac app again?!?

This is illustrated in this side-by-side comparison between the two versions of an identical note before and after the upgrade to Evernote 5.6:

https://twitter.com/zexpe/status/515086974638895104

Also, in the above image, where the cursor is currently placed, if you press return in Evernote 5.5.2 you would get an extra blank line, in Evernote 5.6 all blank lines are removed when you press return and the line below becomes an extra bullet point. Is this intended behaviour? I notice that if I press shift-return I do indeed get an extra blank line, but then the blank line after the text below is mysteriously removed. Moreover, if I edit this note in the iOS app to add an extra blank line at this same cursor position and then attempt to delete that line in Evernote 5.6 it not only deletes that line but also the last character of the previous line!?! This is clearly a bug as well as being inconsistent behaviour between the iOS and Mac apps.

The issue described is a find-within-note issue. We've logged this as a ticket and will get to it as quickly as possible.

Excellent, thanks! @Jackolicious, is there an issue number that we can follow in the tracker for this?

The biggest problem for me about the changes to vertical line spacing is that they've removed the additional line spacing before and after bullet point lists.

I actually prefer it this way...

The biggest problem for me about the changes to vertical line spacing is that they've removed the additional line spacing before and after bullet point lists.

I actually prefer it this way...

I actually think it may be better too... but had it been like that from day one, then I would have at least added extra blank lines after each bullet list before starting a new paragraph. Now I have a thousand notes all formatted differently to how they were and how I prefer. They could at least provide a tool to fix the formatting and/or explain that this new formatting is indeed intentional!

From my post 4 days ago, this problem continues:

I updated to 5.6 and now the blue sync icon turns constantly. After over an hour, I quit and restarted Evernote but had the same result.

On a second Mac (same Evernote account) sync works as usual.

Any suggestions?

Cool.

after update

now there is 15k.

any advice?

my last backup is way too old to cover loses

Please contact support if you lose local notebooks during an upgrade and the following does not help. We have been unable to reproduce this issue in-house despite heavy testing. 

Your notes are automatically backed up when migrating to 5.6. They are located here:

2. Create the directory ~/Library/Application Support/Evernote/accounts/Evernote

3. Copy ~/Library/Application Support/com.evernote.Evernote/old/to-migrate/Evernote into the directory your created at step 2

Your old Evernote should be operational again. Take this opportunity to back up your local notes. 

If you have local notebooks, please, please, please ALWAYS BACK UP YOUR NOTES REGULARLY. THEY ARE NOT BACKED UP BY EVERNOTE. 

A couple of points here:

1. The link to version 5.5.2 is not valid. Can we get another one?

2. I have lost all of my local notebooks as well. I do have a backup but I think I will still need to go through the reinstall of the old version. Specifically my Evernote folder in ~/Library/Application Support/Evernote/accounts/Evernote was an alias that pointed to a location within a encrypted sparse image file. I and may others do this to assure that local folders will be encrypted local and will not be synced to Evernote where it is not encrypted in the cloud. This was just for very sensitive data. I assume that this upgrade did not account for this type of setup.

Given all of that, is there a simple way to get the local folders to version 5.6 or do I need to downgrade (after I get the link) and wait for a possible future migration fix?

Thanks.

• Level 5

Our forum did something strange that broke the links. I corrected them. Thanks for letting me know. The link to 5.5.2 should work now.

If you have a custom setup with aliases etc, I would recommend exporting any local notebooks and reimporting after the migration.

This worked for me

BIG THANKS

which files I can now safely delete?

(my en database is +35GB)

Can i delete entire com.evernote.Evernote folder?

Will a new version be released soon to fix the Spotlight problem?  Or is a fix likely to take some time and I should go ahead with this?

I did submit a bug report, but I gather from what I've read here that answers will come from users, not developers.

Many thanks.

My Evernote connects to my database (with notes and attached files) on an external HD through symbolic links (symlink). With the latest update to the Evernote 5.6.0, the app not recognize the path to the database and is now downloading all notes in the cloud again. More than 20,000 notes with images, and files of various sizes attached. I've tried to redo and replace the symlinks again and nothing. Now what? Sorry my bad english but i'm using google Translator.

• Level 5*

My Evernote connects to my database (with notes and attached files) on an external HD through symbolic links (symlink). With the latest update to the Evernote 5.6.0, the app not recognize the path to the database and is now downloading all notes in the cloud again. More than 20,000 notes with images, and files of various sizes attached. I've tried to redo and replace the symlinks again and nothing. Now what? Sorry my bad english but i'm using google Translator.

I don't know the answer. Evernote has never officially supported the symlink method, and only supports downloading everything onto your local drive, which might not be possible, depending on the storage you have available.

I suspect that this has something to do with the fact that Evernote moved the location of its database. If you use the new location, perhaps that will solve the problem.

• Level 5*

Evernote has never officially supported the symlink method, . . .

I guess the real question here is, why not?

Why doesn't Evernote officially support the symlink method?

Better still, why doesn't Evernote officially support storing of its data on an external device, like a USB drive, server, or NAS?

Of course, the optimum solution, as we have discussed many times, is to provide options to to store ONLY header info on the local drive, with options on a per NB basis to store offline locally on specified internal/external drives.

I don't know the answer. Evernote has never officially supported the symlink method, and only supports downloading everything onto your local drive, which might not be possible, depending on the storage you have available.

I suspect that this has something to do with the fact that Evernote moved the location of its database. If you use the new location, perhaps that will solve the problem.

I have a Macbook Air with 128GB and 35GB in notes in Evernote. So I really need to allocate it on an external HD. I sought a new location and put the symlink but Evernote did not recognize anymore. The company might as well give the option to choose the location to save all files in the database, don't you think? The dropbox does this, just to give an example. It would be a fantastic addition.

Hi, I have a problem when the mac is offline. Evernote asks to sync with an annoying alert dialog and app jumping in the dock.

The dialog says "You're not connected. You must be connected to sync with Evernote".

Of course I don't ask for syncing. If I say ok in the dialog box, the alert still appears randomly.

It appears when there is a note waiting to be synced (with the blue and white arrow in the corner of the note).

I set the "syncing note" setting to sync every 5 minutes.

I have to put it in manual syncing not to be annoyed…

• Level 5*

Warning!  EN Mac 5.6 May Have Broken Some AppleScript Commands

From Veritrope.com Web Site

Alert – September 26, 2014:
Early reports suggest that the new Evernote 5.6 update may cause errors with AppleScript. If this script is critical to your workflow, you may want to hold off from upgrading.

I have also seen several other users report AppleScript errors with EN Mac 5.6.

Jack, I hope you guys can get out a fix for this very soon, as there are many of us that rely on AppleScript on a daily basis to import files and process Outlook items.

G'Day all - long time no post...! :)

Couple of questions about this new version for Mac:

1. We've discussed previously, some time ago, as to WHY Evernote actually REMOVE a feature that is working - in that case it was all about the toolbar now being non-configurable, whereas it used to be.  But now, I seem to have lost the very useful progress bar from the bottom of the left-hand column during a sync operation. The previous version used to tell me how the sync was going, progress of downloads and uploads, etc.  But now - nothing.  All disappeared.  Am I missing a setting somewhere, or has it really gone?  If it has, could it be brought back, as that really does give a useful feedback that things haven't just hung, for example.

2. As a Premium user, I'm used to setting various notebooks on my iPad and iPhone to "Local" so that they can be accessed offline. But is there a similar setting in Mac Evernote that does the same thing, or should I assume that ALL notes are stored locally anyway?  Or not?

3. For notebooks that ARE stored locally, wouldn't it make sense to have a "Backup Local Notebooks" function in Evernote itself? Just a simple "Select destination" (which would include attached or network drives) and a "Go" button would do the trick, and save having to search through the Mac file system for what to back up and where?  It could even have a scheduling function built in, so that all my local notebooks were just automatically backed up to the predetermined destination, say every evening, for example?

If I've missed something that answers these questions already, then apologies in advance.  But if I haven't, then comments and perhaps feedback from Jack, would be appreciated.

NS Down Under

• Level 5*

G'Day all - long time no post...! :)

Couple of questions about this new version for Mac:

1. We've discussed previously, some time ago, as to WHY Evernote actually REMOVE a feature that is working - in that case it was all about the toolbar now being non-configurable, whereas it used to be.  But now, I seem to have lost the very useful progress bar from the bottom of the left-hand column during a sync operation. The previous version used to tell me how the sync was going, progress of downloads and uploads, etc.  But now - nothing.  All disappeared.  Am I missing a setting somewhere, or has it really gone?  If it has, could it be brought back, as that really does give a useful feedback that things haven't just hung, for example.

2. As a Premium user, I'm used to setting various notebooks on my iPad and iPhone to "Local" so that they can be accessed offline. But is there a similar setting in Mac Evernote that does the same thing, or should I assume that ALL notes are stored locally anyway?  Or not?

3. For notebooks that ARE stored locally, wouldn't it make sense to have a "Backup Local Notebooks" function in Evernote itself? Just a simple "Select destination" (which would include attached or network drives) and a "Go" button would do the trick, and save having to search through the Mac file system for what to back up and where?  It could even have a scheduling function built in, so that all my local notebooks were just automatically backed up to the predetermined destination, say every evening, for example?

If I've missed something that answers these questions already, then apologies in advance.  But if I haven't, then comments and perhaps feedback from Jack, would be appreciated.

NS Down Under

Welcome back, NightStalker.  You've missed a lot.  

In response to your questions:

#1.  Unfortunately Evernote has gotten into the practice of dropping features, without any real explanation.

#2.  EN iOS (iPhone/iPad) has "Offline" NB -- I assume that is what you mean by "Local" NBs.

• EN iOS Offline NBs are completely different from EN Win/Mac Local NBs.
  • EN iOS Offline NBs are sync'd NBs that can optionally be stored on your device so that the Note content is available without an Internet connection.  Normally only the Note headers are stored on your device.
  • EN Win/Mac Local NBs are NOT sync'd NBs.  They reside ONLY on the computer that you create them on.

#3.  Having an Evernote managed Backup/Restore would be very useful, and has been requested a number of times.  

• Evernote has declined so far to provide this feature.
  • The "official" process is to export as ENEX files, and then import them when you need to "restore".
  • However, the "restore" is NOT a true restore.  It creates new Notes with new GUID which go against your monthly upload allowance
  • For you protection, it  is recommended that you do a frequent (at least daily) Time Machine (or equivalent) backup of the Evernote folder on your Mac.  This is especially true for Local NBs, since they are never uploaded to Evernote.

Good luck.

Welcome back, NightStalker.  You've missed a lot.  

In response to your questions:

#1.  Unfortunately Evernote has gotten into the practice of dropping features, without any real explanation.

#2.  EN iOS (iPhone/iPad) has "Offline" NB -- I assume that is what you mean by "Local" NBs.

• EN iOS Offline NBs are completely different from EN Win/Mac Local NBs.
  • EN iOS Offline NBs are sync'd NBs that can optionally be stored on your device so that the Note content is available without an Internet connection.  Normally only the Note headers are stored on your device.
  • EN Win/Mac Local NBs are NOT sync'd NBs.  They reside ONLY on the computer that you create them on.

#3.  Having an Evernote managed Backup/Restore would be very useful, and has been requested a number of times.  

• Evernote has declined so far to provide this feature.
  • The "official" process is to export as ENEX files, and then import them when you need to "restore".
  • However, the "restore" is NOT a true restore.  It creates new Notes with new GUID which go against your monthly upload allowance
  • For you protection, it  is recommended that you do a frequent (at least daily) Time Machine (or equivalent) backup of the Evernote folder on your Mac.  This is especially true for Local NBs, since they are never uploaded to Evernote.

Good luck.

Thanks for the welcome JM - good to pop in and see many of the same nyms I used to see so often :)

1. Yes - the dropping of features - especially when I can't see a logical reason to drop them (but I'm not a programmer) - is frustrating.  The Toolbar STILL isn't configurable!  And now that progress bar has gone. Soon they'll be getting rid of the blasted notes - they only get in the way! ;)

2. Yes - by "Local" I meant the equivalent of the "Offline" notebooks on the iPad etc. It would be good to have the option on the  Mac OS version of EN to do that, especially when used on a laptop, on the move, or in my case, in an operating theatre which has no Internet access and is lead-shielded (XRays often used). But having the ability to look up stuff that is stored in an offline, or local, notebook would be a huge plus.  For me at least.

3. I religiously do backups with Time Machine running hourly in the background, plus I run a SuperDuper! full clone "Smart Backup" every evening at 8pm - that's to a USB Drive that is then bootable. But I agree that it would be oh so much easier if Evernote had the option to do that with one click (destination set in Preferences).

Ah well - I still love, and live by, Evernote Premium, across 3 Macs, an iPad, and an iPhone. But nothing is yet perfect..... (sigh) :)

Hello

Where does the function EDIT-> Paste a Text (Cmd+Alt+V) has gone?

It was one of the functions that I used most when pasting text from different sources to strip it from its original formatting.

I hope this is a mistake and that you can put it back. How can you remove useful features like these?

1. Yes - the dropping of features - especially when I can't see a logical reason to drop them (but I'm not a programmer) - is frustrating.  The Toolbar STILL isn't configurable!  And now that progress bar has gone. Soon they'll be getting rid of the blasted notes - they only get in the way! ;)

Good riddance to the progress bar as far as I am concerned. But I agree with the lack of being able to configure the toolbar and also which buttons are visible in the notes. For instance I am longing so much to get rid of the activity stream button and to move the back-forward button to the notes window where they are useful. But apparently Evernote deem Mac users too dumb to administrate such features unlike Windows users. I don't know any other Mac app (except Skitch) where I can't configure my toolbars.

• Level 5*

@pgdahl:  Some like the progress bar, some don't.   ;)

I think that illustrates the point that Evernote needs to give us more control over the UI, more Preferences.

Now with over 100M users, I'm sure there is lots of diversity.  One size doesn't fit all.

5.6 is mostly great! One problem that happened occasionally during the beta testing seems to happen all the time now: when I right-click "Capture Selection from Screen" and make a selection, the image doesn't transfer to Evernote, and instead I get the broken image file icon (a blue question mark box).

During the beta this would happen, but the image would appear once I tried a second time. Unfortunately, now it's impossible to capture a screen shot no matter how many times I try. Is anyone else having this problem?

• Level 5

Where is this:

• Faster notebook selector at the top of the note list remembers your recently used notebooks.

I see a recent notes list, but not a recently used notebooks list.

You should see the recent notebooks in the notebooks sheet.

The notebooks sheet appears when you click on:

- The notebook selector at the top of the note list

- The notebook name at the top of the note editor

- The notebook name in the note info

and any other time you select 'Move to Notebook' or 'Copy to Notebook'

Archived