Stolen Laptop - What's My Risk With Evernote?

raindog

My laptop has not actually been stolen, but it occurred to me to consider what would happen if it was.  I like to have contingency plans.

So as regards Evernote specifically, let's say I've got the Windows client installed and it's sync'd regularly.  Then someone steals my laptop.

I use two-factor authentication.  I can go into EN's web interface and "revoke access" for the relevant Windows laptop.  So presumably if they then tried to log into EN, they'd have to authenticate and they wouldn't know my password (or have my two-factor).

But what about the local data that's sync'd to the laptop?  Is it encrypted in some form?  If not, I assume it's easy to get/parse.  It looks like the .exb file is a sqlite database and a typical sqlite client can see the tables, though querying returns garbage - perhaps because of encryption?  I hope?   :huh:

Otherwise...I guess the options are a TrueCrypt container (kind of a headache) or just foreswearing the local client in favor of web only.

My laptop has not actually been stolen, but it occurred to me to consider what would happen if it was.  I like to have contingency plans.

So as regards Evernote specifically, let's say I've got the Windows client installed and it's sync'd regularly.  Then someone steals my laptop.

I use two-factor authentication.  I can go into EN's web interface and "revoke access" for the relevant Windows laptop.  So presumably if they then tried to log into EN, they'd have to authenticate and they wouldn't know my password (or have my two-factor).

But what about the local data that's sync'd to the laptop?  Is it encrypted in some form?  If not, I assume it's easy to get/parse.  It looks like the .exb file is a sqlite database and a typical sqlite client can see the tables, though querying returns garbage - perhaps because of encryption?  I hope?   :huh:

Otherwise...I guess the options are a TrueCrypt container (kind of a headache) or just foreswearing the local client in favor of web only.

This has been discussed already at great length on the forum. Please search on encryption or security. In a nutshell, anyone with a decent amount of computer skills can see your data, unless it's in an encrypted container (and the container is not left in a decrypted/mounted state).

https://discussion.evernote.com/topic/29429-my-computer-was-stolen-have-installed-evernote-desktop/

Don't even bother worrying about the data for individual applications. Encrypt the entire laptop. There is no other safe solution.

Password protect your computer user account as well. Usually that goes hand-in-hand with encrypting. Remember it isn't just Evernote data that is vulnerable, if you use a desktop email client, your emails will also be locally stored and thus vulnerable in the situation you describe. 

Don't even bother worrying about the data for individual applications. Encrypt the entire laptop. There is no other safe solution.

I agree. IMO, it's better to be safe than sorry. I don't want strangers having access to my email, contacts, calendar, etc. On my desktop, pretty much everything goes into an encrypted container. I know that's kind of overkill, but then I don't have to worry about what to put in & what not. For most of my apps, everything I save goes into a virtual drive that is an encrypted container. That's also helpful on my backups b/c I backup everything on that virtual drive. On a regular basis, the only stuff that I do not put in an encrypted container is photos & home movies/videos.

Actually, this is a good question. Development of TrueCrypt when Microsoft ended support of XP http://truecrypt.sourceforge.net/. Unfortunately, the suggested "replacement" of Bitlocker cannot be run on Windows 7 Professional. So what are we supposed to do - any suggestions?

I'm still using Truecrypt under Windows 7. When I upgraded to Win 7, I thought I'd confirmed TC was ok on that, so never have given it a second thought. But I did check when I got a Surface Pro 2 and did not install TC on that (Windows 8). I did see where Bitlocker was not highly regarded, so I don't have encryption on it. But I also don't have any sensitive stuff on it & always use it at home.

Guess I'll have to look for alternatives for that...in my spare time... ;-)

It just did occur to me that Onnote allows you to encrypt sections of notebooks. It seems to be zero knowledge but isn't helpful, if you're not using OneNote.

Archived