mustela7

ios Nested tags / tag hierarchy will be implemented in Evernote by ...

Idea

... tomorrow afternoon?

Why does this take so long?

Why does it seem to be of apparently such a low priority?

Is ist too difficult to implement, is there too little development capacity, or is there really too little public interest in this features?

Strangely, every new iOS version (and to a certain degree also OSX version) brings other "cloudy" surprises: first a grey on grey tag cloud, and now, even "cloudier", different colors for weighing my tags, i guess to tell me how often I use each one of them. Seems as if my iPhone wants to tell me: "Don't read, just look at those nice colors - you do not remember your tags anyway". Second thought: this must be a contest! "Look, this tag is veeery dark green. You really made it to write this tag 12 times with the same letters on each of your notes. Congrats, pal". Tag, tag, tag, where do you go from here.

Back on earth, what really bothers me now (apart from the meaning of life):

Can one honestly keep a clear view after years in evernote, without a good sorted tag structure?

- I'd like not only to search and find a note, I want to review my notes.

- When my contexts are changing, my brain is changing. Fragments are changing place. Tags have to change. I must have an overview of my tags. Without hierarchy, my tags are in a black hole.

- I do sort my notes hierarchically in windows, in the web, and with some more troubles even on the mac. Why not on the iPad.

What I'd like to see is well organized content.

What I see is stylish design with nice clouds, attracting people to throw notes at and forget about 100% everything.

I heard there is a evernote version called "for business"...?

• Like 2

20 replies to this idea

You are not alone.  I've posted this question a couple times, but EN has chosen not to respond.  I have reluctantly decided to ignore this issue because EN seems to have made the decision to let the tags function wither on the vine.  Why? Who knows?  Maybe they are targeting teens who enjoy like-so-totaly-awesome-colors rather than adults who have actual work to do on EN.  Anyway, my tag view remains unreadable green on gray and the iPad version, while totally legible, remains useless because it is squeezed into a narrow left panel.  I agree with you regarding the undisclosed changes that a user might not want, but receives unknowingly in an upgrade. In the US recently there is an ongoing political controversy because Congress passed a new law before being permitted to read what was in it.  The slogan was that "you've got to pass the law in order to find out what it says".  EN operates the same way: "you've got to get the upgrade in order to find out why you don't want it". For the past year or so, I have declined upgrades.  It is just not worth the risk.

The slogan was that "you've got to pass the law in order to find out what it says".  EN operates the same way: "you've got to get the upgrade in order to find out why you don't want it". For the past year or so, I have declined upgrades.  It is just not worth the risk.

In the Orwellian world of Evernote, an upgrade can simultaneously be a downgrade.

Any update on this?  I'm trying to organize my EN and would sure like to go back to being able to have nested tags.

Absolute must for the mobile application but can't believe the new web version has followed suit in the abandonment of tag hierarchy. I'm losing the use of my once favorite tool.

chiming in to also have nested tags reinstated! I was just about to buy the premium version but this has seriously made me question that.

I have just read something that has worked for me.

Hold command on mac and drag the tags into the hierarchy. On pc i think its control.

• Like 1

Hold command on mac and drag the tags into the hierarchy. On pc i think its control.

Just tried two levels of tag hierarchy on a Mac, and it looks great.

I checked what IOS made of it, and it does understand that they're in a hierarchy, and makes a reasonable job.  It displays all tags at the top level, not in an explicit hierarchy, as the Mac does, and it does display the notes as you would expect according to which level you click.  I.e.  click a top level tag and you see all notes owned in that hierarchy, click a second level tag, and you see just the notes for that tag.

But I'm nervous about relying on it, given all the comments about Evernote's lack of enthusiasm.  I'd like to see Evernote say that it's a fully supported feature.

Just tried two levels of tag hierarchy on a Mac, and it looks great.

I checked what IOS made of it, and it does understand that they're in a hierarchy, and makes a reasonable job.  It displays all tags at the top level, not in an explicit hierarchy, as the Mac does, and it does display the notes as you would expect according to which level you click.  I.e.  click a top level tag and you see all notes owned in that hierarchy, click a second level tag, and you see just the notes for that tag.

But I'm nervous about relying on it, given all the comments about Evernote's lack of enthusiasm.  I'd like to see Evernote say that it's a fully supported feature.

I am not seeing this behavior in EN Mac 6.0.3 and EN iOS 7.6.4.

How does using CMD + drag of tags change the behavior of just dragging the tags?

When I do a tag search in EN iOS, selecting the top level tags does NOT include Notes with only its child tags.

Hello,

I may mis understand the idea of tag hierarchy. From what you said it sound like the ability to click a tag and see all of the notes with the sub tags.. Or something like that?

What I meant by command and drag the tag was that in that was I was able to make a stack of tags. Similar to a note book stage. This helps organise what would otherwise be chaotic. 

HOWEVER...

This command thing seems to be a fluke. It worked the first day but does not work now. Since then it seems to be completely hit or miss whether I can drag and drop a tag into another to make a stack...

If you click on Tags in the left hand pane you can drag the tags around on the right hand pane to construct your hierarchy.

still nothing, using tags properly on iOS seems such a low priority, it's a crippled, non-consistent experience that's completely useless and only works properly on the desktop version. 

18 minutes ago, amort said:

using tags properly on iOS seems such a low priority, it's a crippled, non-consistent experience that's completely useless

Thats very dramatic. 

I have no problem using tags on IOS.  
I use a naming strategy (prefix) to easily identify the tag via the dropdown lists.

I would also like tag hierarchy on IOS; it forces me to do most of my tag hierarchy work on the desktop.

The amazing use of tags in the desktop version is what attracted me to Evernote...

In fact, if you asked me to define Evernote, I would say it's Notebooks, Notes and Tags!

Tags are what makes Evernote different (and better) to OneNote... After all, One Note is Notebooks and Notes!

I would have thought that something so integral to the fabric of the application would be consistent across all platforms.

Finding that the basic approach to working with Evernote from one platform to another is so fundamentally (and in my mind, carelessly) different makes me worry about whether they care about other fundamentally important things... like security?

(It's actually got me thinking twice about OneNote!)

Nested tags would be useful, so I'll support this.

I would also like to state that multi-tag filtering (e.g.: Tag1 AND Tag2 AND Tag3) is what appeals to me. Multi-tag filtering is available on the desktop version but not the iOS version.

8 hours ago, Eric G said:

Nested tags would be useful, so I'll support this.

I would also like to state that multi-tag filtering (e.g.: Tag1 AND Tag2 AND Tag3) is what appeals to me. Multi-tag filtering is available on the desktop version but not the iOS version.

iOS does support multi-tag filtering but you need to use the search syntax not rely on point and click. The key document is https://help.evernote.com/hc/en-us/articles/208313828

so for example

any: tag:Google tag:ipad 

will return all posts tagged with Google or ipad

It's worth having a working knowledge of the advanced search syntax because it allows you to do lots of useful non-standard searches. e.g. all notes which are untagged, notes not tagged with a particular tag and notes with an attached pdf

• Like 1

On 6/3/2016 at 1:46 AM, Mike P said:

iOS does support multi-tag filtering but you need to use the search syntax not rely on point and click. The key document is https://help.evernote.com/hc/en-us/articles/208313828

so for example

any: tag:Google tag:ipad 

The point of the problem I and others keep pointing out, is that when you get to the point of a robust tagging system you could have dozens or hundreds of tags, search syntax requires you to remember exactly how you titled things (e.g. was that "Rob" or "Robert"). That's not possible with so many tags, thus the need for a search functionality where we can see our existing tags and tap to select, or a search functionality where you can enter the first couple characters and it offers suggestions... Works perfectly fine on the desktop versions, and doesn't seem like so much to ask on mobile... I've even heard this DOES work on Android, and I know it used to be available on iOS.

3 minutes ago, Yipeedog said:

The point of the problem I and others keep pointing out, is that when you get to the point of a robust tagging system you could have dozens or hundreds of tags, search syntax requires you to remember exactly how you titled things (e.g. was that "Rob" or "Robert...

I agree, and I up voted this request. (Voting buttons are in the upper left corner of the discussion)

• Like 1

I am suggesting that we consolidate this request to get the votes up… I am suggesting mine because it already has a number of votes replies… The post is here, https://discussion.evernote.com/topic/88379-feature-request-improved-tag-functionality-for-ios/

This request keeps popping up but I believe it is getting ignored because it doesn’t get a critical mass of attention at any one moment, I’d like to see if we can get everyone on board to bring this up the list and to Evernote’s attention.

Thank you! 

• Like 2

Hi, I want to add my voice here.

I would like to use my iPad as my primary device and I really miss the ability to view / organize my tags in a hierachy.

- I also miss the ability to encrypt text in my notes by the way => already mentionned in another topic.

As the price is going up, I hope to see the iPad App getting more attention.

• Like 1