REQUEST: Ability to switch accounts with android phone?

tclemons2

Idea

Need to be able to switch from my personal and business Evernote accounts using my android smartphone.  How can I do this?

I continue to prefer using an android phone (Samsung Galaxy S5, currently).  I need to keep my personal life and work life separate, so I have two premium accounts.  I need to access both accounts from my phone, but I am not able to do so, to my knowledge.  I do not seem to be able to switch accounts using the Evernote android app, unless I lose local data from my personal account.  I am unable to access the Evernote web site using my phone's browsers.

Any solutions will be greatly appreciated.

Tom C.

4 replies to this idea

• Level 5*

You can log out of one account and log into another on an Android.  Make sure you sync all changes up to date before you log out,  or you will lose data. 

To log out,  swipe your Evernote screen to the right and tap on your name at the top of the screen.  Choose 'sign out' from the next menu.

You can log out of one account and log into another on an Android.  Make sure you sync all changes up to date before you log out,  or you will lose data. 

To log out,  swipe your Evernote screen to the right and tap on your name at the top of the screen.  Choose 'sign out' from the next menu.

Sorry, but does this address the losing of local data (i.e. offline notebooks?) in the latest version on the Android platform? Because I keep getting the "signing out will remove all your cached notes and offline notebooks from your device. do you want to sign out?" message.

I had this problem for a while, in that switching is possible, but if you have more than 10,000 notes and multiple gigabytes (offline as well), it takes at least 6 hours to fully re-sync. This made switching between accounts on a regular (multiple times a day) impossible. Has this been addressed in any of the recent versions?

If not, the topic opener may be interested in the solution I had. 

https://discussion.evernote.com/topic/47026-evernotemore-of-one-account/

This is not ideal, and may not even be possible for everyone, but just in case...

• Level 5*

Sorry, but does this address the losing of local data (i.e. offline notebooks?) in the latest version on the Android platform? Because I keep getting the "signing out will remove all your cached notes and offline notebooks from your device. do you want to sign out?" message.

I had this problem for a while, in that switching is possible, but if you have more than 10,000 notes and multiple gigabytes (offline as well), it takes at least 6 hours to fully re-sync. This made switching between accounts on a regular (multiple times a day) impossible. Has this been addressed in any of the recent versions?

If not, the topic opener may be interested in the solution I had. 

https://discussion.evernote.com/topic/47026-evernotemore-of-one-account/

This is not ideal, and may not even be possible for everyone, but just in case...

1. 'losing data' - see "Make sure you sync all changes up to date before you log out,  or you will lose data."
  2. There are no local notes on an Android phone unless offline notebooks have been specified,  but they are simply copies of the server notes with possible additional unsynced edits - see 1) above.  If it ain't syncing,  you need to fix it!
  3. Android phones don't download all notes,  just an index for searching purposes (plus any offline notebooks specified) so a user switch might not be such a huge overhead.  User mileage may vary...
  4. Your 'log into the phone with a different ID' option is obviously doable,  but has its own drawbacks - and depending on how many notes we're talking here might take longer than just exiting / rejoining Evernote..

Fair enough.

The issue I have is more with the re-syncing process. In other words, if I log out on my phone, it is the same as for example uninstalling evernote. I don't actually lose synced data (that's safe on the cloud anyway), but my phone will need to download the notes again, which in my case takes about 30 minutes (10,000+ notes, 3 gigs). And it's the offline notebooks that take longest (about 5 hours), as I always want offline access to all of my notes and therefore have all my 50 odd notebooks offline. 

I was under the impression the topic opener had the same problem, but I may be wrong.

Archived