Air Mac hard drive full

octopusintell

Idea

Guys

I need help. I have put everything on Evernote. Love it.

Clearly the original documents despite being deleted on my mac are still there somewhere.

How can I delete these? I understand there will be no back up then.

In simple terms as I am not a techie :-)

@castinsight

Graeme

5 replies to this idea

The desktop application stores a  copy of your entire database locally on your computer as well as on Evernote's servers. Normally it is located in a directory located in ~/Library/Application Support. 

There is no way to use the desktop application without this local database. If you want to avoid storing files locally, you can completely uninstall Evernote from your computer, including removing its local database, and use only the web interface at http://www.evernote.com. However, the web interface is not as feature-rish as the desktop version. 

Removing the database from your computer will not cause you to lose data as long as everything is properly synced without error. Just make sure you've exported any local notebooks, if you used that feature, prior to deleting your locally stored copy of your Evernote content, as those local notebooks are not synced to Evernote's servers. 

• Level 5*

I think this is another case in which selective sync would be welcome. Apple typically doesn't supply their devices with much local storage, so until Evernote on the Mac starts using external storage (a nice option) or selective sync (another desperately needed feature), this kind of stuff is just going to happen. It's unfortunate, but the issue has been around for several years, and I haven't seen any indications that a solution is on the horizon. I know the developers are aware of the issue and working on it, but I think the last I heard about this was a year or so ago.

Archived