Tricks for using Evernote to assemble writing that uses other notes as references?

The big Discovery

Hello! 

I have just come back to Evernote after finding out its many new features . I didn't get into it back around 2009, but now I think this tool is ready. 

I understand how to keep track of my internet research but I am having trouble wrapping my head around how I can use Evernote to manage my writing. I have read about how people are using Evernote for their writing rather than doing it in other apps such as Wordpress (for example). However, I wonder if Evernote is still the best tool for the job if I am constantly referencing other notes in Evernote (eg. for academic writing or technical blog post)? 

The issue I am having is that I cannot have two notes open at the same time: if "note 1" is my working writing piece and "note 2" is whatever note I am reading over and evaluating whether of not I can use it in some way, then ideally, I'd like to be dragging in clips of notes into the main writing note; however, currently, I find myself constantly jumping around between notes - as I don't think it is possible to have two open at once (?)

I thought that using notebook links might be useful (pasting the link to a relevant note into the main writing piece) but if I click on the link, I cannot easily get back to my main writing note (the back arrow does not take me back - i don't know if this is a bug? Perhaps it does this because my writing note is in a different notebook than the note I am referencing?) I am using the latest Evernote for Windows desktop (downloaded yesterday).

So are there tricks in Evernote that are invaluable for writing that references many other notes, or is there another better tool that is more specifically design for this type of thing? Perhaps there are plug-ins that would help? Perhaps (hopefully) I am missing something basic?

I am using Evernote on Windows 7 and the Chrome plug-in for clipping notes.

Thanks for any tips!

You can double click any note to open it in its own window allowing you to have as many of them open as you need.

Note links are not contingent on notebooks so your inability to go back is likely due to something else.

Note links are really the only way to go with respect to "referencing" other notes.

You can double click any note to open it in its own window allowing you to have as many of them open as you need.

Note links are not contingent on notebooks so your inability to go back is likely due to something else.

Note links are really the only way to go with respect to "referencing" other notes.

Hey Scott,

Thanks for these tips. It turns out that the "go back" is now working ! (I don't know what I was doing before...) Found out too that alt+left also works as a keyboard shortcut This in combination with the double-click feature you just pointed out makes using Evernote as the place for writing very feasible!

So now I guess I can refine my question to: in a writing project as I described, are there

i) any other tricks in Evernote that would also help?

ii) any third party apps or plug-ins that I should know that provide even more power?

iii) more generally - is using Evernote for this purpose a "popular" use for you writers, or are you generally tending to use other more "writing-centric" desktop software such as Scrivner (for Mac) or Something other software for Windows (is there really an equivalent for Windows?)

Archived