"Your recording has stopped"

rms5643

Idea

Hello I use Evernote and I record my lectures for class. Recently, I cannot record any lectures anymore because my monthly limit has been reached. (Evernote has stopped recording because you have reached the maximum size for this note)

My question is: How do I disable sync/upload/data transfer/anything that would stop me from recording notes? I don't want to purchase premium as I don't care about the online services Evernote offers. (I never use it)

Additionally, I can't move audio files within their respective notes as doing so seems to attempt to re-upload the entire audio file to the server.

Any solutions?

Thank you!

7 replies to this idea

Hello I use Evernote and I record my lectures for class. Recently, I cannot record any lectures anymore because my monthly limit has been reached. (Evernote has stopped recording because you have reached the maximum size for this note)

My question is: How do I disable sync/upload/data transfer/anything that would stop me from recording notes? I don't want to purchase premium as I don't care about the online services Evernote offers. (I never use it)

Additionally, I can't move audio files within their respective notes as doing so seems to attempt to re-upload the entire audio file to the server.

Any solutions?

Thank you!

First, it's helpful to specify what client you're using when asking for help.

Second, Evernote is a cloud app.  The only EN clients that allow local (non-sync'd) notebooks are the Mac & Windows desktops.  So if you only want to record but don't want the recordings to go to the cloud, you should use another app.  Most (all?) devices have one already installed & I'm guessing there are many third party ones available for your OS, too.

Any solutions?

Thank you!

First, it's helpful to specify what client you're using when asking for help.

Second, Evernote is a cloud app.  The only EN clients that allow local (non-sync'd) notebooks are the Mac & Windows desktops.  So if you only want to record but don't want the recordings to go to the cloud, you should use another app.  Most (all?) devices have one already installed & I'm guessing there are many third party ones available for your OS, too.

Sorry about that, I'm using Evernote client v5.5.1 (402628 on the app store) on Mac OS X 10.9.4

So, you're saying that there is no way to disable upload to the server? I would use 3rd party software to record my notes, but I like having the audio file right next to my notes. I could record it and then insert it into the note, but then Evernote tries to upload that audio file to the server, which I don't want it to do.

I like Evernote and I want to continue using it. It would be a shame if "Use another app" or "Go buy premium" were really my only solutions. I get that it's a cloud app by design, but it seems counterintuitive that I can't do everything locally.

Sorry about that, I'm using Evernote client v5.5.1 (402628 on the app store) on Mac OS X 10.9.4

So, you're saying that there is no way to disable upload to the server? I would use 3rd party software to record my notes, but I like having the audio file right next to my notes. I could record it and then insert it into the note, but then Evernote tries to upload that audio file to the server, which I don't want it to do.

I like Evernote and I want to continue using it. It would be a shame if "Use another app" or "Go buy premium" were really my only solutions. I get that it's a cloud app by design, but it seems counterintuitive that I can't do everything locally.

As I said, the Mac client does allow local (non-sync'd) notebooks. That would be the way to go. Create a local notebook & then move your notes from sync'd notebooks & create your notes there. You can continue to create notes in local notebooks, even if your upload has maxxed out. You need at least one sync'd notebook, since EN is a cloud app.

As I said, the Mac client does allow local (non-sync'd) notebooks. That would be the way to go. Create a local notebook & then move your notes from sync'd notebooks & create your notes there. You can continue to create notes in local notebooks, even if your upload has maxxed out. You need at least one sync'd notebook, since EN is a cloud app.

Thanks for your help! Note, for anyone else reading this: Evernote is bugged when it comes to creating local notebooks. You have to go to file/new notebook->local notebook

If you try to create a notebook by any other method, you'll create the notebook, but it automatically defaults to a sync'd notebook. You won't be able to change it to local as "Notebook types cannot be changed after creation" So the method above is the only approach.

Well, I wanted to reopen this as this solution appears to not work. It works in the sense that it is a local notebook, but I still can't use recordings because it says the maximum limit has been reached. Any ideas?

Well, I wanted to reopen this as this solution appears to not work. It works in the sense that it is a local notebook, but I still can't use recordings because it says the maximum limit has been reached. Any ideas?

Maximum (what) limit? In your OP, you mention maximum upload and maximum note size. Creating notes in local notebooks circumvents not being able to create notes in sync'd notebooks when/if you reach your maximum upload limit. Note size limit cannot be circumvented. Premium accounts have a larger note size limit than free accounts. In your second post, you specifically discuss not uploading to the server, which is what local notebooks are for. If you want to record longer audio than what is allowed (by the note size limit of your free account), you will either need to upgrade to premium or...use another app.

Maximum (what) limit? In your OP, you mention maximum upload and maximum note size. Creating notes in local notebooks circumvents not being able to create notes in sync'd notebooks when/if you reach your maximum upload limit. Note size limit cannot be circumvented. Premium accounts have a larger note size limit than free accounts. In your second post, you specifically discuss not uploading to the server, which is what local notebooks are for. If you want to record longer audio than what is allowed (by the note size limit of your free account), you will either need to upgrade to premium or...use another app.

It appears to be a bug then, because I am getting this error message by just creating an empty local notebook, creating 1 note, and then attempting to record. After 1 second, it stops and tells me that I've exceeded my maximum note size even though all I have is just the sound recording itself in the entire notebook.

Also, it appears as local notebooks are bugged because I cannot add any pictures to my local notebook as I'm getting a message saying that would violate my monthly upload... even though this is a local notebook.

Edit: Looks like the local notebooks are semi-bugged. You still get a notification, but if you just X it out, it doesn't remove the image.

Archived