NEW! Clip Web Pages on iOS 8

• Ex Employees

An exciting and much requested new feature for Evernote iOS is our new clipping capabilities with iOS 8!

To set up you phone or tablet to clip web pages and share app content to Evernote: 

ios-share.jpg?resizeSmall&width=832

Sharing Button

To add Evernote to the list of sharing options on your device, first tap the iOS sharing button, then follow these steps:
Tap the iOS sharing button, then tap More to edit your sharing options.
Tap the Evernote switch to add Evernote as a sharing extension and tap Done.
Evernote appears in the list of apps your device can share to; Tap and drag Evernote if you'd like to move it to the front of the list.

How do I clip and share web pages and content from other supported apps to Evernote?
To save or share a web page, audio recording, photo, or any other content on your phone, follow these steps:
Open the browser or app you’d like to share content from
Tap the iOS sharing button (Chrome: Tap the menu options button on your device and tap the share Evernote option)
Tap Evernote
Once you've tapped Save, the web page or app content is clipped and shared to Evernote in the background. You have the option of selecting a notebook to save the clipped note to in Evernote.

ios-webclipping-setup%402x.jpg?resizeSma

If you do not see Evernote as one of your sharing options, swipe through your apps until you see Evernote. You can tap and drag the Evernote app to the left so you don’t need to scroll to the end of the list. If you don’t see Evernote, make sure you’ve already added Evernote as a sharing extension. 

Clipping capabilities are available for Safari, Chrome, and other browsers that use the native sharing functionality and give you the option to share. (Note: To share on Chrome, tap three lines, then tap Share…)

Learn more about clipping web pages on your mobile device in this Evernote Knowledge Base article https://evernote.com/contact/support/kb/#!/article/23193638

• Level 5*

A little weirdness that I cannot reproduce.  I have clipped multiple web pages on the iPhone or the iPad using the above today.  All is well but for one.  It has a created date of 12/8/1969.  Only noticed it because I was in Created sort order when I was looking for it.  Again, can't repeat it, just though I would share in case someone else sees it.

It is useless. Though I like the option to select which notebook to import the note to, there is no choice as Evernote Clearly to clean the webpage and make it easy to read. .

I have never once used Clearly, so its absence from the iOS clipper is not a hinderance to me whatsoever. If you relied heavily on Clearly, then I can certainly understand how YOU might find this useless. 

The date bug is frustrating. Nothing subjective about that! 

I'm having trouble using the new Web clipping feature in iOS 8. I can clip webpages from Safari just fine but when using Chrome, it only clips the URL and not the actual webpage. All apps are current. Any ideas? Help please.

• Level 5*

An exciting and much requested new feature for Evernote iOS is our new clipping capabilities with iOS 8!

How do I clip and share web pages and content from other supported apps to Evernote?

To save or share a web page, audio recording, photo, or any other content on your phone, follow these steps:

Open the browser or app you’d like to share content from

Tap the iOS sharing button (Chrome: Tap the menu options button on your device and tap the share Evernote option)

Tap Evernote

Once you've tapped Save, the web page or app content is clipped and shared to Evernote in the background. You have the option of selecting a notebook to save the clipped note to in Evernote.

Clipping capabilities are available for Safari, Chrome, and other browsers that use the native sharing functionality and give you the option to share. (Note: To share on Chrome, tap three lines, then tap Share…)

Learn more about clipping web pages on your mobile device in this Evernote Knowledge Base article https://evernote.com/contact/support/kb/#!/article/23193638

Hi charboyd, and many thanks for providing this great, long-waited, web clipping feature immediately after the release of iOS 8.

I have been checking it out on my new iPhone 6+, and in general it works great.

However, I have been unable to clip just a selection portion of a Safari web page.  How do you do this?

• Level 5*

I'm having trouble using the new Web clipping feature in iOS 8. I can clip webpages from Safari just fine but when using Chrome, it only clips the URL and not the actual webpage. All apps are current. Any ideas? Help please.

I can confirm this behavior on a new iPhone 6+.  Note that sharing Chrome with Mail also clips ONLY the URL into the Mail body.

So I can't tell if this is a problem caused by Chrome or Evernote, but it sure looks like Chrome is NOT sharing the actual web page with anybody.

Does the share-with app (like Evernote) have any programming options to get the whole Chrome page?

• Ex Employees

However, I have been unable to clip just a selection portion of a Safari web page.  How do you do this?

Great Question! This is available on desktop browsers, but selected clipping is not available on the new iOS clipper at this time.

(The Android clipper allows the option between full page clipping and/or clip URL only.)

Aside from the November 1969 bug. It doesn't work well. Why clip an entire webpage with headers, footers, ads and bogus? Might be up to personal taste, but I never want that. I want the text or the article...

I'm sorry to say this LONG awaited feature does nothing better or faster then mailing in a note the old school way. The only benefit to this new feature is that the new web clipper attaches a link in note info.

• Level 5*

@mr. melancholy:  I agree, the current clipping is NOT ideal.

But in the EN Blog where they announced the release/feature, it indicated that they were just getting started.

So, hopefully soon, EN will update the iOS Clipper to provide better clipping, more options.

• 2 weeks later...
  • 3 weeks later...

A great and long-awaited feature. 

However… when I clip a web page from iOS 8 it syncs fine to my Evernote account — but when I view it using my Evernote app on my Mac (v. 5.6.2) all I see is a narrow window 

https://dl.dropboxusercontent.com/u/8556523/web%20clipping%20display.png

If I view the clipping using the Evernote app on my iPad, or on the Evernote website, it displays fine. 

One more bug: I've so far tried clipping a couple of web pages — one of them ended up with a creation date of 17 Jan 1970.

I do not have MORE as an option under SHARE on my iPhone...so how do I clip to Evernote ?

quote name="charboyd" post="302831" timestamp="1410990945"]An exciting and much requested new feature for Evernote iOS is our new clipping capabilities with iOS 8!To set up you phone or tablet to clip web pages and share app content to Evernote: ios-share.jpg?resizeSmall&width=832

Sharing ButtonTo add Evernote to the list of sharing options on your device, first tap the iOS sharing button, then follow these steps:Tap the iOS sharing button, then tap More to edit your sharing options.Tap the Evernote switch to add Evernote as a sharing extension and tap Done.Evernote appears in the list of apps your device can share to; Tap and drag Evernote if you'd like to move it to the front of the list.How do I clip and share web pages and content from other supported apps to Evernote?To save or share a web page, audio recording, photo, or any other content on your phone, follow these steps:Open the browser or app you’d like to share content fromTap the iOS sharing button (Chrome: Tap the menu options button on your device and tap the share Evernote option)Tap EvernoteOnce you've tapped Save, the web page or app content is clipped and shared to Evernote in the background. You have the option of selecting a notebook to save the clipped note to in Evernote.

ios-webclipping-setup%402x.jpg?resizeSmaIf you do not see Evernote as one of your sharing options, swipe through your apps until you see Evernote. You can tap and drag the Evernote app to the left so you don’t need to scroll to the end of the list. If you don’t see Evernote, make sure you’ve already added Evernote as a sharing extension. Clipping capabilities are available for Safari, Chrome, and other browsers that use the native sharing functionality and give you the option to share. (Note: To share on Chrome, tap three lines, then tap Share…)Learn more about clipping web pages on your mobile device in this Evernote Knowledge Base article https://evernote.com/contact/support/kb/#!/article/23193638

• 2 weeks later...
  • 1 month later...
  • 2 weeks later...

So have there been any updates to this thread. It forces me to stop using chrome because it does not save the pages effectively.

I'd suggest you submit a support ticket to alert Evernote about this bug. 

You'll know if a change to the clipper has been made because it will likely be part of an Evernote application update for your iOS device. No app update, no update to the clipper. 

• 1 month later...

Relevant to the person who mentioned Clearly, the Evernote Web Clipper also has the 'Simplified Article' view that the poster was talking about. So back to the question - is this functionality going to be added any time soon? If so, yay!

If not, folks will likely continue to save their articles with apps that do have this functionality, like Pocket, Readability, and Instapaper instead of Evernote. Of note, the "simplified" view is the default on all three offline reader apps even though they all offer the ability to clip the whole page. So I guess they think that MOST people would prefer that view when they clip pages.

Hello,

I'm using iOS 7.1.2 with an iPhone 4 and have run into a problem lately. After reading this post, I think the O/S may be part or sll of the problem.

Does anyone know, or have sinilar experiences?

From an email:

" Evernote bookmarklet when used with the iOS iPhone has run into some problems. More and more, when iPhones open up a webpage the webpage automatically goes into a mobile mode. The type is much larger. These list type screens are more compact and limited to a single column. This places the Evernote bookmarklet screen in the upper right-hand corner and is always resized, placing the accept button out of reach. Contributing to this is the fact that the card is not moveable. Being able to reposition the card or resize the card would solve the problem. The size of the opening Evernote card is dependent on something inside the webpage itself, sometimes the card is small, sometimes the card is large. This has an effect, especially, in mobile pages where the card becomes oversized and unmovable and, therefore. unclosable."

Jim Julian

• 3 months later...

I am thrilled to discover this new feature today! And, is there a way to tag a webpage when we clip it?

Thanks!

Lisa

Currently, no. But i'm sure it's just a matter of time.

And we are still waiting... I would also love to have more control over the fields. Currently, there's only one field and whatever you type in there ends up in both the title and body of the note. I would love to be able to have control over title, content, tags, and notebook.

• 9 months later...

It is now March 2016.  When will you have the ability to use the full functionality of web clipper in iOS?  I do almost all my web browsing on my iPad and that is when I need to clip articles.  As it functions now, all the useless ads, hyperlinks useless formatting etc. is included.  

Could you please tell us when the full web clipper capabilities will be available? If you don't know could you tell us why?

• 2 years later...
On 3/19/2016 at 10:11 AM, drericl said:

It is now March 2016.  When will you have the ability to use the full functionality of web clipper in iOS?  I do almost all my web browsing on my iPad and that is when I need to clip articles.  As it functions now, all the useless ads, hyperlinks useless formatting etc. is included.  

Could you please tell us when the full web clipper capabilities will be available? If you don't know could you tell us why?

This is what I am wondering too!

• 5 weeks later...

Archived