Messy fonts in Windows

Leesbrain

Hi. I'm running EN 5.6.4.4632 (272632) on Windows 7 Enterprise. On this machine, all fonts in the note body display poorly, with lines above each character. I've attached a screen cap of both a note headline and text. This happens no matter what font I have chosen -- these notes started out in Tahoma and I have changed them to Arial, with no improvement. I've also tried uninstalling and reinstalling Evernote. The font problems don't appear in any other application, including Evernote Web (using the Chrome browser). The messy fonts also appear in items clipped from the web.

Any clue about what is causing this or how I can fix it? It's very difficult to work with.

Thanks!

post-222836-0-65818100-1410969913_thumb.

• Level 5*

Since this issue is only occurring on this one machine, it clearly is related to something being different on this machine.

I agree with Jefito that corrupted fonts is a strong candidate for the problem.

So, you might try this from answers.microsoft.com:

How do I fix corrupted font files in Windows 7?

If that doesn't fix the problem, you could also try using Revo Uninstaller to ensure everything related to Evernote (including the Registry) is removed.

Before reinstalling Evernote, make sure Windows is up to date.

Then, reboot, and reinstall Evernote.

Hi. I did everything you suggested, without any success. Since this is a corporate machine, I've never installed any extra fonts on it, but I did the font reset, and uninstalled Evernote with Revo Uninstall as well. I even downloaded a fresh copy of Evernote and installed. Fonts are still messed up.

I tend tp agree, of course, that this looks like a font corruption issue, but I'd feel more sure of that if I was seeing font corruption in any other application, which I'm not. And, of course, it doesn't happen on my Android phone, my personal Windows 8.1 machine or in the web app, running off of Chrome.

I've created a support ticket, so we'll see if they come up with any answers. Or I'll just use the web app on this machine.

Thanks for your efforts!

Since this issue is only occurring on this one machine, it clearly is related to something being different on this machine.

I agree with Jefito that corrupted fonts is a strong candidate for the problem.

So, you might try this from answers.microsoft.com:

How do I fix corrupted font files in Windows 7?

If that doesn't fix the problem, you could also try using Revo Uninstaller to ensure everything related to Evernote (including the Registry) is removed.

Before reinstalling Evernote, make sure Windows is up to date.

Then, reboot, and reinstall Evernote.

Unfortunately, since it's an unsupported application, I'm on my own as far as IT goes. Unless, of course, it does something unpleasant to the whole machine, Then I'm in trouble...

@Leesbrain:  Sorry that didn't work.

Since this is a work machine, have you reported the issue to your IT dept?  They might be able to help.

• 4 months later...

I found this post in a Google search... I have the same problem, I'm using Windows 8, not a work computer, and I don't have corrupted fonts.  Evernote is the only application that has this problem, and it continues even if I change the font face in Evernote.

I'd like to keep this thread alive until a solution is found.  Hopefully other people experiencing the problem will find this thread and know how to fix it.

I have the same issue.  Have taken all of the steps above (uninstalled with Revo, confirmed fonts are not corrupted, etc.) to no avail.  I don't think this issue is specific to Leesbrain's machine.  This issue makes Evernote for Windows pretty unusable.

We never got this problem solved. I worked with Evernote support, and they tried really hard to fix it. I finally had to bow out. Since it's a work machine, getting screencasts and such that they wanted as part of troubleshooting became impossible for me to provide, and I just didn't have the time to spend on it anymore. If someone else wants to take this up with them, please do, because they were great to work with...the lack of progress in finding a solution is my fault, not theirs.

• 5 months later...
  • Level 5*

I think this is caused by an Evernote bug or design flaw.  It's a very complicated issue, so I recommend that everyone contact Evernote.

I recommend that everyone who experiences a bug to submit a bug report.  This will make sure that Evernote is aware of the issue, provide your environment data to help identify/fix the issue, and put more pressure on Evernote to fix.

Submit a BUG report via an EN Support Ticket. In the Support Form, select "Report a bug", and start the Ticket Title with "BUG:  " to make it clear.  Reporting a bug should be available to all users, including Free Account owners.  Other Ticket types available to Free users are "Data Loss", "Crash", & "Sync Issue".

You can also voice your complaint on Twitter:

Since Evernote now is providing official support to all users via Twitter, you might post on Twitter @evernotehelps.  It might also be good to include a link back to your post here.

• 4 weeks later...

Archived