Evernote for Mac 5.6 Beta 10

Jackolicious

Idea

• Level 5
Hey all!

Evernote for Mac 5.6 Beta 10 is out. 5.5 users with "update to beta" checked in their preferences should start seeing this build as available for download. Here's the link just in case: http://goo.gl/EHb5Cd

If you have trouble downloading the update in-app, please run the following terminal command and try again: 

defaults delete com.evernote.Evernote SUFeedURL

This release is mostly minor bug and crash fixes as we prep for a public release. We fixed:

- issues with sharing notes

- crashes

Let us know what you think!

32 replies to this idea

more on spotlight integration. I seem to be able to retrieve results from items (ie a powerpoint presentation) that's on evernote, but not when the text is in the body of a note... (spotlight won't show me Evernote's notes results)

Yes I am just getting that issue (on Yosemite beta).  But on Mavericks I was not getting that issue.  

I am on my work network here, which often accounts for most IT issues because the IT dept seem to be incompetent (like firewall blocking our own website and educational websites!!!!).

I'm still seeing crashes in beta 10 when moving notes in 10.7.5, not every time but quite frequently. Unfortunately, I can usually only submit the logs from Apple's crash reporter because I need to force quit Evernote in order to continue working, but I did submit one through the Evernote system just now when I had the opportunity. 

I for one don't like the flatter UI.  Combined with the grey monotone color schemes, it makes it harder to distinguish the UI from your content, and it makes it harder to read/find stuff.

I agree that a flat UI if not done well does not help, however Apple does have design guidelines that help.  I am not advocating grey squares, and really the UI overall does need to be refreshed from time to time, all good programs do this.

I would also like to suggest taking some pages, pardon the pun, from Onenote in how notes can be displayed.  I like the idea of pages in a notebook, so just a suggestion as an option.

please no skeuomorphism

I also agree with this. I am not wanting to have pages per say but just another way to organize/display the data.

There have been several posts from people who would like Evernote to get more powerful and I for one agree.  As a business user I personally would like better table and sharing options. 

Don't focus on making Evernote EVERYTHING, but focus on making it great at notes/storing information.

Jack, I think the new Forum rules put out last week prohibit PM to/from members with less than 10 posts.

JMichael, thanks for posting that. It explains the problem I'm having finding the PM function on the board.

Update: Jack, you must have taken care of that issue. I received your pm and sent the diagnostic files is instructed. 

I'm currently running Yosemite and although I know it's not officially supported I think it's worth sharing

1) Spotlight is currently not pulling evernotes, I re-indexed Spotlight and still, so far not working. (It was working back in beta 8 and Yosemite)

2) this is fairly easy to reproduce in the note editor. steps: Create a note w an image. Open the note in a new window, now Annotate any image (add like a stamp and crop it), close the annotation image, now try to click and resize the picture. You'll see the blue reticle won't appear and there's no way to bring it back unless you close and reopen the window/note.

Specially about issue number 2, if anyone can reproduce in current Mac Mavericks please let me know.

Whilst I now understand the reason for local links being disabled I have to agree with JMichael re the lack of communication. This is the first time that I have received an explanation for this behaviour & my requests for help on this matter have been ignored over several betas. A direct request to Helpdesk simply redirected me to the beta forums. My biggest concern with this is that if I start including video clips directly in my Evernote notebooks (Teacher) then my iOS devices' storages are going to get hammered. So, a solution would be greatly appreciated.

On a positive note, I was really impressed with Evernote being updated so quickly for iOS 8's extensibility function. Being able to clip straight to a Notebook of one's choice from virtually any app is brilliant. Well done & thank you!

more on spotlight integration. I seem to be able to retrieve results from items (ie a powerpoint presentation) that's on evernote, but not when the text is in the body of a note... (spotlight won't show me Evernote's notes results)

I managed to successfully search for text within a note from Spotlight.

Hierarchical tag structure: development stopped half way there?

I am honestly disappointed how little development is seen in hierarchical tags structure functionalities here.

For me, this is a core feature of evernote.

These functionalities, as in Windows and Web version, include:

- the ability to sort, order, rename, and drag/drop tags in the sidebar

- show tags in a good readable manner, something like black on white (NOT GREY ON GREY as it is still in the tags "cloud" on OSX)

- show a CLEAR tag hierarchy (it is really hard to see the "indented" "subtags" in the tags "cloud" on OSX)

-------------

Windows versions did all this right. OSX version has doubtlessly more style.

But: "nice design" MUST NOT be weighted superior to usability and functionality.

• Level 5*

Hierarchical tag structure: development stopped half way there?

I am honestly disappointed how little development is seen in hierarchical tags structure functionalities here.

For me, this is a core feature of evernote.

. . .

-------------

Windows versions did all this right. OSX version has doubtlessly more style.

But: "nice design" MUST NOT be weighted superior to usability and functionality.

mustela7, I couldn't agree more.  "Form follows function" is clearly a design principle that Evernote designers do not appreciate as much as many of us do.  They really don't seem to understand that no matter how cool, how pretty, a design is, it is of no value unless it has great usability.  I truly believe that it is very possible to have BOTH great design and great functionality.  Evernote designers, are you up to the challenge?

Here is another example of poor design, IMO.  It is the issue of using low-contrast text on the Tags window.

Here is a screen shot of Tags window in EN Mac 5.2.2 (has it changed in this Beta 10?)

Tag-Window-Low-Contrast-ENMac5.5.2.gif

This screen shot is actually easier to read for some reason that it actually is on my MBA-13 laptop.

What is the point of having such low-contrast text (light grey on lighter grey) in the tag listing???

Jack, is there any chance of getting the contrast improved to make it more readable before the release of EN Mac 5.6?

Even if you did nothing more than make the text BLACK in color it would be a great improvement.  Surely this is not that hard to do.

I seem to have somehow buggered up my evernote installation. I'm on OSX Yosemite beta (current as of today). I've downloaded this beta 10 and installed it, but when I try to run Evernote, it reports "Version too old Your local Evernote data is  being managed by a newer version of Evernote. Please use the latest version". I've searched here in the forums to see if there's a newer beta than 10 - but the search function doesn't list one. Is there a solution to this?

QUESTION - Being that this "new from the ground up" when are we going to get a new and updated UI for Evernote on the Mac?  Yosemite is just around the corner and with it brings a new flatter UI.  Is this something in the works for say Evernote 5.7 or 6.0?

I would also like to suggest taking some pages, pardon the pun, from Onenote in how notes can be displayed.  I like the idea of pages in a notebook, so just a suggestion as an option.

Thanks!

Jack,

What do you say? No more links to local files? Ugh!

I am teacher, and have a very huge list of bibliographics references that have links to local files!

This is a very very bad news for me.

Please reconsider this. There must be another solution...

Edit:

anyway, links to local PDF files can be dangerous?

• Level 5*

We've blocked links to local files to fix a security vulnerability.

BTW, this is a great example of an issue that is really bothering a lot of us:  Poor communications.   :(

If you're going to drop a feature (which we really don't like), the least you could do is announce it in the Release Notes of the first Beta where it is dropped, and then again in the GA released version.

• Level 5*

mwoerner: We've blocked links to local files to fix a security vulnerability. A malicious user could otherwise create a note with a file link that points to a local application rather than a document. If they share that with another user and convince the user to click the link, the user may end up unexpectedly running a program on their local machine. We're sorry that this change is negatively affecting you. We realize that some of our users will no longer be able to open local files that aren't directly attached to a note, but feel that protecting our users from this attack vector is important enough to make the change. Any files that you attach directly to the note will not be affected by the change.

Jack, you guys need to figure out some other way of protecting against this.  A lot of us use file links because Evernote Cloud is not secure enough for sensitive documents.  Another use case is linking to very large files that you don't want to sync.

• Level 5

mwoerner: We've blocked links to local files to fix a security vulnerability. A malicious user could otherwise create a note with a file link that points to a local application rather than a document. If they share that with another user and convince the user to click the link, the user may end up unexpectedly running a program on their local machine. We're sorry that this change is negatively affecting you. We realize that some of our users will no longer be able to open local files that aren't directly attached to a note, but feel that protecting our users from this attack vector is important enough to make the change. Any files that you attach directly to the note will not be affected by the change.

Any idea when links to video clips will start working again?

My workflow is as follows:

1. Copy the URL (e.g. file:///Users/XXXX/Desktop/Dropbox/2009/11%20Physik/Moving%20About/Videos/Russian%20Car%20Accident.mp4) for a video file on my hard disk

2. Select appropriate text in an Evernote note & press CMD K

3. Paste url & click OK

4. Click on this new link but nothing happens.

Interestingly, even if I insert the link in the Beta version (10) of Evernote on my MacBook Air, allow it to sync & then go to my Mac Mini which is running 5.5, clicking on the link there opens up the video clip.

Thanks

• Level 5

Can we delete them? Will current Evernote versions produce a smaller version?

Yes, at your own risk. I'd try renaming it first ;)

EN Mac 5.5.2 is still producing the HUGE PDFs for viewing PPTs inline.

Yes JM, that was fixed in an earlier beta.

EN Mac 5.5.2 does not have the fix. 
  • Level 5*

Yes JM, that was fixed in an earlier beta. You'll find that they get generated at a reasonable size. It was a bug in OSX's quicklook.

Jack, flyee (who I quoted above) was running Beta 9 when he saw that behavior.  So it's not clear to me that it was previously fixed.

Can one of you brave souls who is running Beta 10 please test the size of PDF generated for inline viewing of PowerPoint (PPT/PPTX) attachments.

Thanks.

• Level 5*

Jack, was the PPT to PDF inline view bug fixed in this release?

When I was cleaning my Library/Cache, I just found these.

Evernote generates my 4.8 MB ppt to a 1.24 GB inline preview PDF.

Another 5.5 MB pptx to 595 MB pdf.

Another ...

Can EN stop doing these stupid things.

Archived