syncing issue between Evernote on iphone 4 iOS6 and PC Windows 8

gregorio

I am running my evernote account on two devices iphone and PC. I will add content (written) to the same note at different times from either device. Content that I add from either device has vanished. Sometimes I add content to a note on a device but forget to sync or assume a sync takes place automatically. I may then add content to the same note on the other device and then hit the sync button. Would this then result in an overwrite on the other device? I am looking into sync settings and don't see how to configure this not to happen. I assumed that like most cloud service Evernote automatically syncs or saves any newly inputted data regardless of the device. Was very shocked when a long piece of written material was missing from a note. Please help. Thanks

• Level 5*

Hi.  You're missing an important factor in your syncing - your iphone (1) doesn't sync directly to the pc (3),  it syncs to the server (2);  so 1 has to sync with 2 to update the server and then 3 has to sync with 2 to get the latest changes, before it can be edited again.  Then you have to sync again to update 2,  and 1 has to sync again before you edit...

If you're going to swop between devices,  the mantra has to be: manually sync / edit / sync every time you make a change.

• Level 5*

I am running my evernote account on two devices iphone and PC. I will add content (written) to the same note at different times from either device. Content that I add from either device has vanished. Sometimes I add content to a note on a device but forget to sync or assume a sync takes place automatically. I may then add content to the same note on the other device and then hit the sync button. Would this then result in an overwrite on the other device? I am looking into sync settings and don't see how to configure this not to happen. I assumed that like most cloud service Evernote automatically syncs or saves any newly inputted data regardless of the device. Was very shocked when a long piece of written material was missing from a note. Please help. Thanks

First, think of "syncing" like you do "saving".  "Sync and sync often".  This is especially important after you make important add/changes, or you change a long Note.  I make a habit of doing a manual sync on my PC, Mac, and iPhone after I have finished using Evernote on that device for that session, and always at the end of the day.

Second, unfortunately, EN syncing is NOT as robust and user-friendly as it should be.  Knowing this, you should do everything you can to protect your own data.

Third, consider ADDING NEW Notes rather than appending existing Notes.  This will help you avoid a lot of sync and Note conflict issues.

Later, if you wish, you can MERGE these Notes into one Note.

Hi.  You're missing an important factor in your syncing - your iphone (1) doesn't sync directly to the pc (3),  it syncs to the server (2);  so 1 has to sync with 2 to update the server and then 3 has to sync with 2 to get the latest changes, before it can be edited again.  Then you have to sync again to update 2,  and 1 has to sync again before you edit...

If you're going to swop between devices,  the mantra has to be: manually sync / edit / sync every time you make a change.

Very helpful. Thank you. I now see the obvious: I need to manually sync on either device immediatley after updating new info to a note. Unfortunately I often need to suddenly switch to another activity and minimize the Evernote application, again assuming that a cloud based automatic sync is occurring, or that, minimally, the new info is temporarily safeguarded until the next sync happens. Suddenly all of my vanishing data over the years is explained. Nevertheless I find i hard to believe that Evernote would not behave as a Google doc which automatically saves to the cloud almost instantly as a write new data. Why does this not happen? 

Hey all, thanks for the feedback. Now I know to constantly sync as I add data.  However still trying to figure out why Evernote as a company would not design its applications to behave like a Google doc which automatically saves to the cloud pretty much instantly as I write new data. 

• Level 5*

Hey all, thanks for the feedback. Now I know to constantly sync as I add data.  However still trying to figure out why Evernote as a company would not design its applications to behave like a Google doc which automatically saves to the cloud pretty much instantly as I write new data. 

Evernote isn't Google.  They used different criteria when they created their database and haven't (apparently) seen the need yet to revisit the situation.  The discussion here will at least have raised the topic for the developers to look at for future updates...

Archived