Syncing only a few notebooks to from my home account to my work computer

I have been looking around for this, but I have not found the info I want.  I have been using Evernote quite extensively and I just changed jobs from consulting to a job with a single company.  I use Evernote to track everything in my life from work stuff, to a second business to personal data.  I can image life without it.

Until recently I have been consulting with several companies and I have separate notebooks for many of the things I did for them.  I want to use Evernote in my new full time job, but I do not want my personal notebooks and my past client notebooks to sync to my new company computer.  Is there a way to do that?   I definitely do not want some of my notes from the other clients to appear on my new computer.

The only way I have figured this out so far is to create a new account and share the relevant notebooks from my personal account.  Is there another way, I think Evernote is valuable and I will spend my own money on setting up a second account as long as it is needed, but if there is a cheaper way I would like to do that.

Thanks,

Scott

I have been looking around for this, but I have not found the info I want.  I have been using Evernote quite extensively and I just changed jobs from consulting to a job with a single company.  I use Evernote to track everything in my life from work stuff, to a second business to personal data.  I can image life without it.

Until recently I have been consulting with several companies and I have separate notebooks for many of the things I did for them.  I want to use Evernote in my new full time job, but I do not want my personal notebooks and my past client notebooks to sync to my new company computer.  Is there a way to do that?   I definitely do not want some of my notes from the other clients to appear on my new computer.

The only way I have figured this out so far is to create a new account and share the relevant notebooks from my personal account.  Is there another way, I think Evernote is valuable and I will spend my own money on setting up a second account as long as it is needed, but if there is a cheaper way I would like to do that.

Thanks,

Scott

You cannot selectively sync notebooks to a Windows client.

In this case, I would suggest you either use the web client at work or continue to share notebooks from one account to the work account.  However, I've had issues with sharing notebooks between accounts.  (Search the board on "ghost notes", for more info.)  But if it works for you, then great.

Another (safer, IMO) option is to have a totally separate account for work. 

Evernote is free.  You only need to pay for a premium account, if you need the premium features.

• 1 year later...
  • 1 year later...

I am having the exact same desire (other than the fact that I'm on Windows).

I'd like evernote to be like dropbox where I can say, "Hey on this computer, only work with and see this one notebook, do NOT under ANY conditions synch or show me documents in any other notebook when I'm on THIS computer."

I can do that on Dropbox - I'd like to do it on evernote.

• Level 5*
18 hours ago, malcolm.b.anderson said:

I'd like evernote to be like dropbox where I can say, "Hey on this computer, only work with and see this one notebook, do NOT under ANY conditions synch or show me documents in any other notebook when I'm on THIS computer."

Evernote just doesn't work that way -- the sharing is done on an account basis, not by computer. This works well for my use case (I share notebooks between my work and personal accounts), but evidently not for yours.

There is a setting on joined notebook properties (right-click on a notebook shared to you, select Properties) that says "Sync this notebook to my computer", which you can try disabling. I did this for one of my joined notebooks, and it didn't de-sync the notes that had already been synced, so I'm not sure what the intent is with that setting or its best usage. I'll try doing some research to figure it out, but initial searches haven't shown me anything so far...

• Level 5*
19 hours ago, malcolm.b.anderson said:

As per @jefito the notebook list is an account feature, not by device 

And selective notebook sync is a feature on the mobile (IOS/Android) platforms, but not on the Win/Mac platforms

You can simulate different notebook lists with two accounts and shared notebooks
Account A - list of notebooks
Account B - subset list of notebooks

Archived