Writing UNDER a photo.

Dear Evernoters,

I'm new to this app.

I can not figure out how to open a note, take a photo and then write something under the photo.

Evernote keep stacking my photos at the bottom of my notes, whereas I want to take a picture, make a comment below the image, and then repeat.

Why?

When visiting booths in exhibitions. Snap a pic of the booth, the products of interest, comment on them, and also snap a pic of business cards of interest. Move on to the next booth, repeat.

CB

• 4 months later...

I have been having the same issue for years. It is the same for me if I am using Evernote via the desktop program for Mac or the iOS app. Sometimes I work around this problem by inputting text first and then inserting the photo after. Why has no one replied to this thread? Evernote must be aware of this issue by now.

• Level 5*

I have been having the same issue for years. It is the same for me if I am using Evernote via the desktop program for Mac or the iOS app. Sometimes I work around this problem by inputting text first and then inserting the photo after. Why has no one replied to this thread? Evernote must be aware of this issue by now.

This is a user forum,  so I'd guess there's no reply as yet because no-one has an answer.  Evernote are aware,  and (I gather) are updating the editor in most evernote clients.  Until that happens,  putting captions on pictures,  or mixing pictures and text is always going to be a hit or miss affair...

• Level 5

Hi,

If you create a new note, add a picture (from camera or camera roll) and go back to the note - tap on the far right edge of the image near the edge of your screen. This will place a large flashing blue cursor in a position to add text, and the keyboard will pop-up.

If you have text in the note already before adding a picture, you can also tap anywhere on the text and then tap and drag to the end of the photo you want to add text below. This will also result in the large flashing blue cursor and the keyboard popping up.

Hit [return] and then enter the text that you'd like to enter.

I hope this helps.

Cheers,

Chuck

• 5 months later...
  • 2 weeks later...

I am running IOS 8.4 on iPad and I've updated to Evernote 7.7.9

I can write under a photo using cifup's directions.

As for the annotations, the only fancy things I can do are in the IOS app Skitch. When I say fancy, I mean adding colored type, drawing lines and arrows.

I can do a little more on the desktop version.

• 1 month later...

Hi,

I have a similar issue with the last version of Evernote. Somehow they changed the way you position the cursor to initiate typing: the result is that if you only have an image in the note, is very difficult to find the correct spot to start typing. This is in the Windows version of the client.

Ok...maybe I just found a solution to my problem: which is to click on the side of the image and then drag the cursor towards the image (can be done on both sides of the image). Not very intuitive IMO, but it does work.

This info has been quite helpful. I'd long since given up trying -- is cool to see that there IS a way to do this directly after all!

In my (IOS) case however I still have to futz around quite a bit to find that post-pic text location, so whenever possible I'll continue to use the "text sandwich" method instead. 

This is actually just an expansion on 

Chuck's earlier suggestion to use pre-existing text:  Before I take any pictures I first make a "text sandwich" ... meaning, you enter two lines of short bs text, and then position the cursor to the beginning of the second line.  This way, when you are finished taking pictures, you can more easily navigate to either end of the note to add your actual (non-bs) text. 

• 6 months later...

Yup. It's a bump.

In the past, I've been able to insert a photo into the body of a note (i.e., existing text above and below the desired insert location), without problems, regardless of whether the photo was from Camera Roll or taken with the camera at that moment.

Lately, however, photos are landing at the bottom of the note---not where the cursor was when I tapped the Photo or Camera icons in the EN tool bar. 

I tried the "sandwich" approach listed above, using gibberish text (why that would be different from pre-existing real text, I have no idea). Worked only in brand new notes with no other text, but...when attempted in an existing note (any existing note), the image thumped to the bottom again.

Haven't been able to get @cifip's suggestion (dragging the cursor) to work...but then, I'm not sure I really understand the steps as he describes them, so that might be user error.

Tapping the right hand edge of the photo keeps popping the photo into full screen mode---not placing a cursor.

Really need the old functionality back, since my mobile workflow involved dictating text, then inserting coordinating photos. A dictate > insert photo > dictate > insert next photo > dictate > insert third photo process won't work. 

Help, Oh Wonderous Ones...? 

• Level 5*

I have an open support ticket on this (Ticket# 1505419)
Its a known issue

I up-voted this discussion - the vote is now ....1
(voting buttons at the top left corner of the discussion)

The response was

We've had multiple users write in experiencing the same problem. Our Development team is aware of the situation is currently working on a solution to fix the issue.

5 minutes ago, DTLow said:

I up-voted this discussion - the vote is now ....1
(voting buttons at the top left corner of the discussion)

The response was

We've had multiple users write in experiencing the same problem. Our Development team is aware of the situation is currently working on a solution to fix the issue.

Thanks for the info, @DTLow; glad to hear it's on their radar.

Never noticed the up-vote thingamabob before. Who knew? ;)

2 hours ago, annah said:

@DTLow @PaperQueen The issue with photos not inserting at cursor position should be fixed in 7.12. Let me know if this isn't the case! 

Wooooo-hoooooo!  Works like a charm, and just in the nick of time (I'll be using this a lot the next few days for an upcoming project).

As always, big high-five to the Evernote team for producing a terrific app. :)

Archived