Recipes on PC

I started off by trying to see how to put recipes in my Evernote which I use on 2 PCs and an Android mobile device.  I have numerous recipes and I was confident that there would be a plug-in, template or something for Evernote (because they have ways to store everything right?) for me to use.  Well my search proved to be much more difficult then I expected.  As it turns out, there is no way.  What I did discover is that there is a separate app that is used for mobile devices but is not available on the PC.  Am I missing something here or is there really no way of keeping recipes in the PC Evernote other than simply typing everything out in a regular note?!?!?!?

• Level 5*

The relevant question is what format your recipes are in now? Then you start to figure out how to get them into Evernote...

I don't know anything about any "separate app". Evernote has clients for different device types, and web clippers that send browser content to Evernote.

The relevant question is what format your recipes are in now? Then you start to figure out how to get them into Evernote...

I don't know anything about any "separate app". Evernote has clients for different device types, and web clippers that send browser content to Evernote.

They are currently in paper form (some in cookbooks, some on index size recipe cards, etc.). 

There is a separate app.  It's called Evernote Food.

Two things have happened since I made my original post.  First, I started to put my recipes in Everynote by using a normal note.  I created a Notebook called recipes and then created a new note for every recipe.  I used some of the formating tools like numbering ect and it works well enough.  There isn't anything like a dedicated spot for cooking temperature or cooking time like there is on most recipe cards.  Second, I just now looked to check in the app store about that app because I couldn't remember what it was called and I briefly skimmed through the description and aparantly it DOES show up in the desktop version of Evernote somehow.  It specifically says that recipes added in the app will automatically show up on all other devices running Evernote but I don't know if that means you can also add recipes from the PC.  I'll let you guys know when I have time to take a look at it.

• Level 5*

OK, got it. Evernote Food stores your recipes in an Evernote account, just like any other kind of content: a recipe is an Evernote note, so it will appear on other that you access your Evernote account from. And yes, you can add recipes from any Evernote client, though desktop clients tend like those for Windows and Mac to have better import facilities.  Evernote doesn't have ready-made templates for recipes, as it's a general-purpose application; on the other hand, you can make a recipe template note, with a numbered/bulleted list and a spot for temperature, cooing time, and anything else you'd like, and copy it to your Recipes notebook whenever you want to add a new recipe.

We built a standard recipe template with just 4 Boldfaced headers, Source, Serves, Ingredients and Preparation.  There is several blank lines beneath each header to allow us to start entering text.  We copy the template and paste into a new note, with the note title being the recipe name.  We make extensive use of Tags to allow searching for specific names, major ingredient, specific meal (lunch, dinner, dessert, etc) which makes it very fast to locate what you need.  

The major advantage is Evernote's portability; cell phone, tablet, desktop, laptop, web so we can always find what we are looking for. 

The other thing you can do is scan paper documents in and add them as PDFs to Evernote notes. I had a lot of paper recipes (over 1000). Typing them all in was not a good idea so I got a scanner and scanned and added. 

• Level 5*

There's scan and add,  where you wait for Evernote's OCR to catch up and make the recipes searchable,  or you could scan,  OCR and add so they're immediately available. Beware the monthly upload limit though - if you're adding a lot of recipes via scanner,  scan to a local notebook first (if OCR'd they're still searchable) and then add the recipes to a synced notebook as your limits allow.

(You may need to be a Premium user to ensure the documents are added to Evernote's index.)

Archived