Evernote for Windows should NOT have Desktop as default Folder Sync

Gaetawoo

Thanks to Evernote for Windows having the Desktop folder default to sync, my monthly quota was used up in minutes because I copied some large files to the desktop, not knowing that it would automatically sync to Evernote. What a terrible decision to have a default sync folder set. There should be NO sync folder set on install. If it was something that was selected during the installation, I certainly don't remember and it must not have been clear what the implications of it were. So thank you Evernote. I can no longer sync for the rest of the month (20 days) because of this dumb design decision.

• Level 5*

Evernote is not known for its clear, up-to-date documentation, so perhaps you didn't get a clear understanding of how Evernote works when you first downloaded/installed it.

By default, all Evernote Notebooks are what's called "Sync'd Notebooks".   While you have default Notebook, ALL NBs are sync'd NB unless you specifically create a NB as a "Local Notebook".

Most users find automatic sync a good thing -- it's like automatic save -- because it ensures that all of their notes are automatically uploaded to the EN Service/Cloud, providing an automatic backup to the Notes on their desktop.

If you have reached your monthly upload limit, you now have two choices:

1. Create new "Local Notebooks" to store your new Notes, and move them to Sync'd NB next month
  2. Increase your monthly upload allowance by buying a one-time increase for one month

Like any app, you are well advised to review its documentation (see link to KB below) and start slowly to test how it works before you commit large amounts of data to it.

Perhaps you would find Getting Started with Evernote Windows helpful.

Evernote is not known for its clear, up-to-date documentation, so perhaps you didn't get a clear understanding of how Evernote works when you first downloaded/installed it.

By default, all Evernote Notebooks are what's called "Sync'd Notebooks".   While you have default Notebook, ALL NBs are sync'd NB unless you specifically create a NB as a "Local Notebook".

Most users find automatic sync a good thing -- it's like automatic save -- because it ensures that all of their notes are automatically uploaded to the EN Service/Cloud, providing an automatic backup to the Notes on their desktop.

If you have reached your monthly upload limit, you now have two choices:

1. Create new "Local Notebooks" to store your new Notes, and move them to Sync'd NB next month
  2. Increase your monthly upload allowance by buying a one-time increase for one month

Like any app, you are well advised to review its documentation (see link to KB below) and start slowly to test how it works before you commit large amounts of data to it.

Perhaps you would find Getting Started with Evernote Windows helpful.

This has nothing to do with my problem. I know all about local and synced notebooks. I'm talking Windows folders. In Evernote for Windows, go to Tools, then Import Folders... Then you will see what I'm talking about. Specified folders are watched and any content added to them is automatically synced to the specified notebook. That's what blew my quota.

• Level 5*

This has nothing to do with my problem. I know all about local and synced notebooks. I'm talking Windows folders. In Evernote for Windows, go to Tools, then Import Folders... Then you will see what I'm talking about. Specified folders are watched and any content added to them is automatically synced to the specified notebook. That's what blew my quota.

Actually, it is very relevant to your problem.

The "Import Folders" process does not do the sync.  It simply imports into the default Evernote notebook on you local hard drive any files you put into that folder.

IF the EN Default NB is a Sync'd NB (which by default it is), then the auto-sync will happen some time after the import.

You can control the frequency of the sync by settings under Tools > Options.  One option is to NOT do auto-syncs, but do only "manual syncs"

The "Import Folders" process does not do the sync.  It simply imports into the default Evernote notebook on you local hard drive any files you put into that folder.

IF the EN Default NB is a Sync'd NB (which by default it is), then the auto-sync will happen some time after the import.

You can control the frequency of the sync by settings under Tools > Options.  One option is to NOT do auto-syncs, but do only "manual syncs"

I see what you are saying, but the fact that there is automatically a folder that is attached to my default synced notebook is a user experience fail. That's my point. 

Also, how do you go about changing your default sync folder? I've been trying to find that and I can't. I want to change it.

• Level 5*

I see what you are saying, but the fact that there is automatically a folder that is attached to my default synced notebook is a user experience fail. That's my point. 

Also, how do you go about changing your default sync folder? I've been trying to find that and I can't. I want to change it.

Gaetawoo, I think you are missing my point.  Please re-read my prior posts.

There is NO "default sync folder".  

There is a "default Notebook", and ALL Notebooks are "sync'd notebooks" by default.

You are confusing the import process with the sync process.

You can change the default Notebook by going to Tools > Options.

But my MAIN point is that you can turn off auto-sync by going to Tools > Options.

The "Import Folders" are completely separate from "Default Notebook"

Please consider this:  most users want their Notes to be auto-sync'd (the equivalent of auto-saved), and this how Evernote is designed.

If you do NOT want to have your Notes auto-sync'd, YOU can turn this OFF under Tools > Options.

Gaetawoo, I think you are missing my point.  Please re-read my prior posts.

There is NO "default sync folder".  

There is a "default Notebook", and ALL Notebooks are "sync'd notebooks" by default.

You are confusing the import process with the sync process.

You can change the default Notebook by going to Tools > Options.

But my MAIN point is that you can turn off auto-sync by going to Tools > Options.

The "Import Folders" are completely separate from "Default Notebook"

Please consider this:  most users want their Notes to be auto-sync'd (the equivalent of auto-saved), and this how Evernote is designed.

If you do NOT want to have your Notes auto-sync'd, YOU can turn this OFF under Tools > Options.

Ugh, point not missed. I just typed the wrong thing. I meant to change the default notebook.

Thanks to Evernote for Windows having the Desktop folder default to sync, my monthly quota was used up in minutes because I copied some large files to the desktop, not knowing that it would automatically sync to Evernote. What a terrible decision to have a default sync folder set. There should be NO sync folder set on install. If it was something that was selected during the installation, I certainly don't remember and it must not have been clear what the implications of it were. So thank you Evernote. I can no longer sync for the rest of the month (20 days) because of this dumb design decision.

Oh my dear...yet another thing you clearly do not get about cloud apps. By definition, in Evernote, there must be at least one sync'd notebook. The user (that would be you) can easily change their default cloud notebook. If you set up an import folder (that would be a Windows folder), to feed into a sync'd notebook, then of course, Evernote will attempt to sync all those notes. That's kind of the point of a cloud app. The fact that you did something that caused you to use up your quota so soon is unfortunate. But it's not Evernote's fault.

Archived