New install problems

patnpm

I'm trying to install En on a new Surface Pro 3 (desktop, not evernote touch). It keeps crashing after downloading about 70 (of my 17000 total) notes. I've tried reinstalling after deleting the previous downloaded data, to no avail. I raised a support ticket a couple of days ago, but whilst I'm waiting for a response does anyone have any suggestions?

Evernote touch does seem to be working, but very slowly and has taken 2 days to download 1000 notes. Besides, if I wanted evernote touch style I might still just as well use an ipad.

• Level 5*

Hi.  I don't know that using Touch and Desktop versions of Evernote on the same machine is a bad idea,  but it seems so to me;  so if you're not especially find of ENTouch,  I'd suggest you bin that,  and use Revo Uninstaller (if you haven't already) to zap and reinstall your ENDesktop app.  Provided you have no unsynced notes or local notebooks,  rename the current database and start downloading again.  Try not to use the device while it's catching up - leave it overnight or something;  unless you have a huge database or a very slow connection it should only be a few hours...

Thanks for the suggestion. I've uninstalled Touch version, and have been impressed by Revo. However, no joy, I'm still unable to install EN on a new and almost pristine Surface Pro 3.

On the 11th, having submitted logs etc, support told me they were escalating my problem. Not heard from them since. Not impressed. 

• Level 5*

Hmmn.  Karma has struck - I've been unable to get a new install of Evernote to work properly on a Win 8.1 Dell laptop;  a Fatal Error pops up after 100 notes or so (out of 18,000+) and I did the Revo thing too..  Is that what you're getting,  Fatal Errors?  My Support ticket is in,  so maybe we can find an answer between us.  There was another post today too by someone in the same boat..

Yes - 100 or so notes and then it dies. 

I just got a response from support saying that it was being escalated to the development team and I should keep an eye on the forum to see when a new version is released. Which I presume means that it won't work until there is a new version. 

I find this fairly gobsmacking. Has nobody else tried a new install of Evernote on 8.1 before me?

• Level 5*

At last one other person has tried besides you and I - https://discussion.evernote.com/topic/55015-evernote-windows-520294-does-not-sync-properly/ and that thread might help - I'm just going through several restarts to see if I can pound life back into this thing.  Don;t know what the problem is,  but with most new computers being sold with 8.1 for some while now,  and Evernote being reasonably popular,  I would have expected there to be a fair number of installations by now.  Evernote kicks out updates pretty frequently,  so there's hope there too...

Archived