Email to Evernote not from me

My Yahoo account had an email today from ME (but NOT from my real email address) to me at my real Yahoo account, and 4 others from my address book. It included my Evernote email address. I ran Malwarebytes on my computer, found nothing.  No evidence of entry to my Yahoo account, but then, it wasn't really sent from my Yahoo account. So, how did they get my Evernote email address? 

This is clearly spam, as it was not sent from MY account. So here is my theory. I must have at some time sent an email to Evernote, but also perhaps copied some friends?  Hence the address was out there somewhere.  Anyone else experience this? Do I need to change my Evernote address?  

Thanks.

John

• Level 5*

I've not had it happen but the email address is easily changed.  Logon to your account via the web then under Account settings see the option Email Notes to.  The reset button will generate a new email address for your account.

• Level 5*

I wouldn't worry too much about it based on the info you've given us. It sounds like it might well have been someone else's compromised account or someone's (maybe yours!) contacts -- remember, lots of apps these days access your contacts, so any one of those could have sucked up the data and who knows what happened after that (the company could have been hacked or used it maliciously). I'd change your address according to the directions given by s2sailor. It only takes a few seconds.

Yes, thanks. I think since it did not come from MY Yahoo account, I am safe. But it is a lesson NOT to use your Evernote email address as a CC in another email to avoid spam. 

OR, put your Evernote email in a BCC if you want. I am getting close to the point where I think BCC might be the way for everything. 

• Level 5*

Yes, thanks. I think since it did not come from MY Yahoo account, I am safe. But it is a lesson NOT to use your Evernote email address as a CC in another email to avoid spam. 

OR, put your Evernote email in a BCC if you want. I am getting close to the point where I think BCC might be the way for everything. 

BCC is my approach as well for any email response I send that I also want copied to Evernote.

Archived