Local notebook prevents "sync on exit" from working

TizerLux

I recently added a new hard drive to my PC and put a 64-bit version of Win 7 Pro on it. I installed Evernote, and synced up my account, so it had all my synchronized notes. However, the problem starts when I create a local notebook and either place a note or create a new note within it, then make a change to one of the sync'd notes, and then attempt to exit.

I have the "sync upon exit" box checked, so when I exit Evernote syncs once more before it closes. What happens though, is the sync progress bar appears and it either doesn't fill up or just partially fills up and just stalls, never completing. I don't have a huge amount of notes (500), I don't think it's too many notes. I've waited for 5 minutes, and it will keep staying there until I click "Exit Now" next to the progress bar. I checked on another device and the sync'd note DOES update, but the bar stays there on my Windows PC and Evernote never closes at all. 

Separately, when I'm just in the program and pressing the sync button on the toolbar, the sync completes without any issue.

It's not a huge issue, but it's weird, and if there's a solution, I'd be interested. I've tried re-installing, re-downloading the installer and installing, and also clearing the appdata and re-installing, but none of that works.

• Level 5*

I followed you until this comment: "then make a change to one of the sync'd notes."  So, to see this problem you have to do these 3 steps?

1. create a local notebook

2. move a note into or create a new note in that notebook

3. edit a (different) note that is in a sync'd notebook

Local notebooks by definition are not sync'd.  Anything is possible but I doubt that is creating the sync on exit hang.  I have seen some general strangeness with the sync on exit.  I will manually sync and then try to exit and it will tell me a sync is still needed.  The simplest solution, as you suggest, is to deselect the sync on exit and manually sync before you shutdown EN.

• 1 month later...

I tested this a bit since I'm on the latest version of Evernote on Windows 8.1, and have been seeing the same annoying "hang" on Evernote when sync notes on exit is checked.

I realized that from the OP's comments, that I had also created a local notebook recently.

I had one note in that notebook and had deleted it at some point. So it was probably in the trash.

When I exited, I got the sync progress bar and it hung.

I deleted the apparently empty notebook. I got a confirmtaion dialog about the permanent deletion of the notebook. I accepted. Then I got a confirmation about 1 note being deleted (the one that was in the trash?). I confirmed it.  No more hang on the "sync on exit" progress bar! Fixed!

So I added in a new local notebook. With no notes, it worked fine when exiting and didn't hang.

I restarted evernote, and added a note into the local notebook and exited. And the hang occurs again.

I didn't make any changes to existing synced notes. Simply having a local notebook with a single note in it creates this problem were sync on exit seems to hang with the progress bar stuck at 75% or some other value.

• 2 weeks later...

Archived