Premium upload limit to 4GB

I see reports floating around that the upload limit for Premium and Business has been increased to 4GB / month. Can anyone confirm? 

I did hear from a reliable source (Evernote employee) that it's true.  As per usual, would be nice if EN publicly confirmed.

My premium account shows 1gb, but the change is official, apparently. I think it will depend a great deal on logging in/out, or quota turnovers in order to kick in.

Yes, maybe the extra gigs don't show up until the current monthly upload refreshes. That would explain why George Burdell's shows 4 & many/most of the rest of us are still showing 1.

• Level 5*

It is interesting that they will expand this to 4GB/month while they still have the scaling problem.  I'm not inclined to put much into the service until that has been solved.  I'm not sure what I would do with the extra storage even then unless I start dumping photos into it.

It is interesting that they will expand this to 4GB/month while they still have the scaling problem. I'm not inclined to put much into the service until that has been solved. I'm not sure what I would do with the extra storage even then unless I start dumping photos into it.

I posed this to the employee who confirmed the upload increase. A few years ago, I would have jumped up & down about this increase. But since the Windows & iOS clients have been totally unusable for me with my "big" account for at least a year and a half, I don't see how this is a benefit. Unless EN has been revamping their system & will be announcing a new system that does not have the scaling issue.

Having said all that, based upon my own personal experience, I think most users would be very hard pressed to use anywhere near this amount. It is good for when you're new & loading in a lot of things. But on a regular basis, even I would have a tough time using more than a single gig, two at most.

It's kind of a "let them eat cake" thing, IMO.

• Level 5*

It would be great to see a new robust system rolled out but I'm not optimistic.  To me it sounds like a way to show competitive parity with some of the other services out there without having to invest much since it is doubtful that many would actually use that upload amount.  Marketing benefit for little cost.

It is possible this is one part of a larger plan that might include performance improvements for large databases. Improving performance, though, requires considerably more human resources than pushing out an upgrade for quota. Why not do the quota now while the engineers are plugging away on performance improvements and other related and needed enhancements?

This is, of course, the optimistic position. 
Realistically I suspect this was pushed now as a way to remain/appear competitive in the cloud storage wars.

Pessimistically, well.... there's a lot to say.  

• Level 5

It is interesting that they will expand this to 4GB/month while they still have the scaling problem.  I'm not inclined to put much into the service until that has been solved.  I'm not sure what I would do with the extra storage even then unless I start dumping photos into it.

I agree. Solve the scalability problem first.

A larger cart needs a stronger & heavier horse (aka green elephant).

post-53124-0-84947400-1410024267_thumb.j

• Level 5*

My take is that the use case is for users who maintain and edit large attachments with some frequency. That burns up your upload allowance while not really affecting your overall capacity. Most people don't have that use case, at a guess, but it does handle cases that pop up in the forums (and I'd guess that they have input from CS on this as well), and it's also a nice little checkbox i the feature list. I think it also covers those folks who get Evernote and go into a mad frenzy of scanning everything in sight, and dumping their photo collections into the pile. Again, another burst covering facility. But overall, probably not going to affect many people most of the time.

• 2 weeks later...

My premium account shows 1gb, but the change is official, apparently. I think it will depend a great deal on logging in/out, or quota turnovers in order to kick in.

Yes, maybe the extra gigs don't show up until the current monthly upload refreshes. That would explain why George Burdell's shows 4 & many/most of the rest of us are still showing 1.

I am a premium user. My upload refresh is started two day ago but my current monthly upload shows 1Gb yet.

I am a premium user. My upload refresh is started two day ago but my current monthly upload shows 1Gb yet.

My quota JUST reset today and I now have 4gb. Had 1gb prior to that. I'm sure your 4gb will come, unfortunate timing though with your renewal date :(. That being said, I haven't been clamouring for 4gb of quota so I wasn't in a hurry for my "upgrade". 

• Level 5

I'm still at 1GB.

Due to the scalability problems with a large Evernote database, I have been forced to downsize my usage substantially and rely on other programs for my data. So even if the upgrade eventually comes through, it won't impact my shrinking  usage of Evernote. 

I contacted support and they, indeed, confirmed 4Gb thing. Honestly, doesn't matter for me, if I will upload 4Gb per month to Evernote, my local database will be crawling even on the super-computer.

What I am interested to see is... the official statement. What else is updated, apart from 4Gb. Max size of one note? Maximum number of notebook? What about free accounts and 60Mb limit, is it up too?

It is a rather strange move, to substantially increase the monthly upload limit and not tell their customers... I haven't received any emails from Evernote about that, the web site still shows... nothing, really. Go to https://evernote.com/premium/ and you will find NO information. Like this one:

Quote: "Notes are four times larger so you can pack Evernote with large files and hi-res images."

Four times larger than what? How much is it?

There used to be a page where one can compare the packages, not anymore.

Quote: "Notes are four times larger so you can pack Evernote with large files and hi-res images."

I think what they mean here is that, compared to free users, your maximum note size is 4X larger. Premium users can create notes up to 25mb, while premium and business users can create notes up to 100mb, or 4X the size of a free user.

Here are the limits for various tiers of Evernote service:

https://evernote.com/contact/support/kb/#!/article/23283158

granted, I am routinely puzzled at the opaqueness and sparseness of pre-sale marketing material. Why is this relegated to the knowledge base, which I see as largely a post-sale resource. Some of these things are highly desirable features or changes and should be put front and centre on pre-sale marketing, not relegated to a knowledge base article!

I think what they mean here is that, compared to free users, your maximum note size is 4X larger. Premium users can create notes up to 25mb, while premium and business users can create notes up to 100mb, or 4X the size of a free user.

granted, I am routinely puzzled at the opaqueness and sparseness of pre-sale marketing material. Why is this relegated to the knowledge base, which I see as largely a post-sale resource. Some of these things are highly desirable features or changes and should be put front and centre on pre-sale marketing, not relegated to a knowledge base article!

This is precisely my point. I know what advantages Premium subscription gives me. But if I were a Free user, Premium upgrade page does very little to convince me to upgrade. Again, for a beginner user, it is not obvious what single note size limit IS to calculate what 4X larger :-) This information is so obscure and located in a place nobody would look :-)

I am, however, a bit disappointed that (according to the KB) they did not increase the quota for free users. Would be really nice if they would at least double the quota, instead of giving 4X quota to Premium. Honestly, I do not know anyone who would use 4Gb uploads per month. I could make a greate use of the 4Gb quota ONLY if I can have selective sync, i.e. leave some notebooks entirely on the server, without syncronizing them locally. Like Dropbox does. I could then upload some important and large documents, without killing local EV performance. Until then, it is just a nice gesture.

• Level 5*

Can't yo uupload RAW files to Flickr? 1tb of free storage over there in YAHOO! land. 

Yeah,  I use Flickr,  but I'm getting involved with a project that will sell photographs and I was looking into somewhere to backup the originals before they're photoshopped madly..

• Level 5*

This is precisely my point. I know what advantages Premium subscription gives me. But if I were a Free user, Premium upgrade page does very little to convince me to upgrade. Again, for a beginner user, it is not obvious what single note size limit IS to calculate what 4X larger :-) This information is so obscure and located in a place nobody would look :-)

I am, however, a bit disappointed that (according to the KB) they did not increase the quota for free users. Would be really nice if they would at least double the quota, instead of giving 4X quota to Premium. Honestly, I do not know anyone who would use 4Gb uploads per month. I could make a greate use of the 4Gb quota ONLY if I can have selective sync, i.e. leave some notebooks entirely on the server, without syncronizing them locally. Like Dropbox does. I could then upload some important and large documents, without killing local EV performance. Until then, it is just a nice gesture.

I think in this case you get the features that you pay for...

I definitely agree that there should be a clearer product comparison between the various levels.  I also agree that unless someone is new to EN & doing frontloading or adding their photography collection, no one is going to be using the 4 gigs on a regular basis. I don't think that just because EN bumps up a premium feature, that they should do so for free accounts.  And given the recent revocation of support for free users, it seems to me that EN is trying to be more aggressive about getting the conversion rate (free to premium) bumped up.  Even so, what free users get is still pretty good, especially since what can be stored on the EN servers is an accumulation & doesn't get wiped out...ever.  (At least so far.) 

I think in this case you get the features that you pay for...

This is why I am a Premium user :-) My point is, EV guys should put more practical information on the upgrade page. The feature which sold me to the Premium is not even mentioned there. And it is very difficult to discover it's existence, even if you are Premium user. The feature is called "Version History" :-)

I don't think that just because EN bumps up a premium feature, that they should do so for free accounts.  And given the recent revocation of support for free users, it seems to me that EN is trying to be more aggressive about getting the conversion rate (free to premium) bumped up.  Even so, what free users get is still pretty good, especially since what can be stored on the EN servers is an accumulation & doesn't get wiped out...ever.  (At least so far.) 

I do agree. It was just wishful thinking about my friends, several of whom are Free users :-)

Can someone elaborate on the "scalability" issue referenced repeatedly in this thread? Is there another thread or two discussing it in detail? Search is not working at all for me right now, it is literally never loading, but I'd really like to know more.

Also, for the comment regarding non-synced files, I kind of stumbled into doing that through what I presume to be a bug. A couple of weeks ago I was nearing the end of my first month as a premium user and had only used just under 500mb, so I quickly threw in almost 500mb of PDF files that I had (tons of reference books). I did this by creating notes in the local client and attaching groups of PDFs to each note. All in all I made about 20 or so notes. But I held off on tagging them or moving them to another notebook (I use a default "inbox" notebook, can't recall if that is the normal default or not) and forgot to turn off syncing, so it synced automatically when I walked away from the computer. I didn't think anything of it (though I did turn off auto-sync at least for now) until a few days later when I sat down to tag and move the notes. Unfortunately I did this in the local Windows client, and after I was done but before it was synced it hit me that EN was flagging each note for a full re-upload. Since I did not want to use up half of my allowance again so quickly so I stopped to look for a way to "undo flagging this note for sync" (which of course does not exist, thanks EN!) and instead do the move on the server like I should have done (so it would download on the sync instead of upload and not use up half my allowance).

What I ended up trying was moving the local notes into a non-synced notebook, then hitting sync to see what would happen. Turns out the notes in the non-synced notebook didn't move, and the notes on the server came down as blank notes. I deleted the blank notes and resynced, and the local notes in the non-synced notebook were still there and the ones on the server were also still there. I then deleted the local notes (all 500mb worth) and checked and voila the server notes were still there! I then tagged and moved the ones on the server the way I originally should have done, and I apparently now have a set of server-only notes.

I'm pretty sure this is a bug (given how the blank notes came in during the sync) but it may be that it is a workable hack to provide this feature if needed. Of course, hacking to take advantage of a bug could backfire one day, so I can't endorse it, I can only say it worked for me. Also, I may have mixed up a step or two since it was about a week ago, so I don't recommend trying it on anything important without testing first.

Maybe someone else can use it, or maybe someone will point out why it will cause a nuclear meltdown in my backyard...  :blink:

• Level 5*

Can someone elaborate on the "scalability" issue referenced repeatedly in this thread? Is there another thread or two discussing it in detail? Search is not working at all for me right now, it is literally never loading, but I'd really like to know more.

Here are a couple of links that you can also peruse:

https://discussion.evernote.com/topic/57304-thank-goodness-for-the-web-app/

https://discussion.evernote.com/topic/66103-power-user-discontent-best-alternatives-to-en/?p=302092

Basically the service first starts to slow down and then becomes barely useable (or in some cases unusable) as content is increased.  There is no magic threshold that you cross and it varies depending on the size and content of your database.  I'm at 12K notes and search has slowed significantly for me.  It is no longer instantaneous but is still useable.  Due to the problems that others with larger databases of 30K or 60K notes have experienced, I've slowed down the amount of material that I put into the service.  EN is still very useable for me but I'm in a wait and see mode before I start dumping the remainder of the file cabinet into it. 

• Level 5*

Back to the topic at hand ... my monthly quota turned over a couple of days ago and I still show 1GB instead of 4.  Not that I would use it but I do wonder how this increased quota rollout is being done.

• Level 5*

Took a while for mine to filter through - there's been no 'official' comment (unless someone wants to lean in here... ?) but with the number of users Evernote has,  you can understand it might take a while to upgrade everyone...

• Level 5

I am a Premium user. 

I signed up with Evernote over 6 years ago.

The 4 GB cap has been in place for almost a month now.

I'm still restricted to 1GB.  

Does it really take a month to roll out this adjustment? Really?

Well...I'll go back to Evernote Support once again... Sigh.

• Level 5*

Back to the topic at hand ... my monthly quota turned over a couple of days ago and I still show 1GB instead of 4.  Not that I would use it but I do wonder how this increased quota rollout is being done.

Just noticed that I'm now at 4GB.

oh, what a nice surprise. Just found that upload limit is 4G. I first thought it was some kind of system error.

But how about the maximum size of single note? Is it still 100M? Now that upload quota has a three-time bump, I really hope the single note size limit will see an increase as well.

• Level 5*

The new 4GB limit has been written into the knowledge base. So it is already official not speculative. 

Users who haven't received the bump have every reason to contact the support.

The only reason to contact support (IMHO) is if you're trying to make something work that should do so,  but doesn't.  Hence my question about exceeding the 1GB limit.  It's quite hard to do that with standard documentation,  and I'd imagine if someone needs the headroom and hasn't been upgraded yet,  Evernote will bump them up any queue.  Meantime anyone complaining that their local device doesn't show the same limits as the KB is just slowing down service for all the other users with actual problems.

• Level 5*

Anyone managed to exceed 1GB yet?  Max note sizes haven't changed.

I approached 1GB once, when I was doing some catch up.  But for me that was a lot of stuff.  Don't think I will ever scare 4GB to test it.

• Level 5

I am a Premium user. 

I signed up with Evernote over 6 years ago.

The 4 GB cap has been in place for almost a month now.

I'm still restricted to 1GB.  

Does it really take a month to roll out this adjustment? Really?

Well...I'll go back to Evernote Support once again... Sigh.

It looks a "reminder" to Evernote Support helps.

After watching the posts for the past 4 weeks, I sent a Support Request

The next day, Evernote Support advised me that 4 GB was turned on for my account.

Archived