Searching notes when a tag is selected

brsnyder

Idea

I just had to install Evernote on a new Mac and it seems to be working differently than I remember on my old one (which is temporarily not working).

I selected a tag so that only notes with that tag are listed. I recall that if I searched for something, without explicitly adding tag grammar to the search box, it would search only the currently displayed notes. In this case, ones with a particular tag. Then if I wanted to broaden the search, I would click the Remove Tag icon at the top of the list.

But what is happening is that searching has the effect of removing the tag condition in my list. IOW it automatically searches all notes, not just the tagged ones I am looking at.

If I click the Clear button at the top of the search results, I go back to the list that contains only those notes with the original tag I selected.

Am I going nuts? Do you have to use tag grammar in the search box to search within a specific tag?

I'm using 5.5.1 and don't see any indications anywhere that there is a newer version.

Thanks -- Barbara

1 reply to this idea

• Level 5*

I selected a tag so that only notes with that tag are listed. I recall that if I searched for something, without explicitly adding tag grammar to the search box, it would search only the currently displayed notes. In this case, ones with a particular tag. Then if I wanted to broaden the search, I would click the Remove Tag icon at the top of the list.

But what is happening is that searching has the effect of removing the tag condition in my list. IOW it automatically searches all notes, not just the tagged ones I am looking at.

If I click the Clear button at the top of the search results, I go back to the list that contains only those notes with the original tag I selected.

I can confirm that what you are seeing is the current behavior in EN Mac 5.5.2.

I agree it is counter-intuitive and counter-productive.

It would be much better if, after having selected a tag filter, that any Search conditions in the Search box were logically ANDed to the tag filter.  IOW,  the Search conditions would be applied to the results of the tag filter, NOT to ALL Notes.

Evernote Developers:  Please change the interaction between the tag filter and the Search box as I indicated above.

Archived