Document camera causes crash: HELP PLEASE!

Samsung Galaxy S4; OK to use "document camera" to save up to 2 pages...anything more than that causes Evernote to hang/crash. I can take "photos" of as many pages as I want without problems...but if I use the designated "document camera" it will ALWAYS crash after more than 2 pages. (version 5.8.5/ build AM_585_1151). What's the point of having a designated 'document camera' if it doesn't work??? anyone else having this problem?? Any fixes available?? Thanks!

• Level 5*

Samsung Galaxy S3:  taking pics of several pages is not a problem.  I appreciate this may not apply to the S4 camera, but it does mean that the app works with some camera set ups.  If it is unwilling to work with S4 pics,  then have a look at Evernote > Settings > General Settings > Note Creation > Activate Multishot Camera and <tick> or <untick>.  One or another option should work.

I am also having issues with my camera causing a crash.  I am using the evernote app on Android, with the Motorola Moto X phone.

I am scanning in images of large numbers of documents.  I've been doing this for several weeks without issues.  Today, my phone started crashing when taking pictures of documents - the app will freeze as it attempts to save the image.  If I exit and return to the app, sometimes it is still frozen on the image, and sometimes it gives me the message "Couldn’t open the camera.  Many times the only way to fix this is to reset your device."  After this error, I restart my phone, and can sometimes continue, other times it freezes as I take the first or second image in a set.

Is this a known bug, or is there any advice anyone can give me?

I do have the option on for Activate Multishot Camera on, to quickly add multiple images to a note.  I turned it off, but that removes useful functionality.  It takes more than twice as long to get through the same number of documents.  It hasn't crashed the camera (yet) with AMC off.

With AMC on, I used it for several hours this morning without issue, and then in the later afternoon the camera started freezing again.

• 2 months later...
  • 3 weeks later...
  • Level 5*

are there any additional threads on this issue or a resolution? I see this is several months old and I have not been able to resolve my camera freezing issues

Did you try activating/ deactivating the multishot camera? - And yes I realise that might mean you can't take multishots,  but the camera freezing won't help either...

• 2 months later...

Having the same problem in Evernote 6.3.3.1 on a Samsung Galaxy S4 running Cyanogenmod.

Switching off Multishot Camera, which removes the feature I am relying upon, is not a good solution for me.

At present, I have to shoot one page with document camera and create a new note to shoot a second page. Then I use the windows application to merge the notes. Very frustrating.

I am also having issues with my camera causing a crash.  I am using the evernote app on Android, with the Motorola Moto X phone.

I am scanning in images of large numbers of documents.  I've been doing this for several weeks without issues.  Today, my phone started crashing when taking pictures of documents - the app will freeze as it attempts to save the image.  If I exit and return to the app, sometimes it is still frozen on the image, and sometimes it gives me the message "Couldn’t open the camera.  Many times the only way to fix this is to reset your device."  After this error, I restart my phone, and can sometimes continue, other times it freezes as I take the first or second image in a set.

Is this a known bug, or is there any advice anyone can give me?

I am having the same issue  Moto X (2nd gen).  Very frustrating.

Had my first camera issue. I don't use it a lot but have never gotten crash. I'm on Android Samsung Galaxy Note 2. Topics pics of maybe 20 pages (using regular camera not document camera) and within a note (not the quick pic shortcut), and EN crashed. Is this a fluke or known issue? I'm not into trying too many more times and wasting 10-15 min of my day each time I try. 

I am having a similar issue, except it freezes about 50% of the time on the first document photo. And if it does manage to render the first one it freezes 100% on the second photo. Processing takes upwards of a couple minutes after I take a document photo before it renders. 

I used to be able to take notes all the time. I've just noticed in about the last 2 weeks it hasn't been working as well as it used to. 

Troubleshooting I've done so far:

-Activated/Deactivated the multishot camera = no change

-rebooted phone = no change

-cleared cache = no change

-cleared app data from menu in app = no change

-uninstalled all updates back to verson 5.? that came baked into my phone, then reinstalled updates via play store = no change

-rebooted phone again = no change

-tried entering app from app drawer and from widget = no difference

Stock Samsung Galaxy Note 3, Stock Android version 4.4.2, Evernote version 6.3.3.1.  Evernote Pro account. 

• Level 5*

Hmmn.  There seem to have been a few Note users with camera problems.  I use a Galaxy SG3 and haven't seen any problems with the camera.  At this stage I can only suggest you submit a bug report by choosing "report a bug..." (sadly) in the first dropdown after logging into this link > https://www.evernote.com/SupportLogin.action

• 3 months later...
The last few times I have taken camera notes Evernote hangs. This morning it crashed and I sent a report.

I'm using:

• galaxy note 3
  • android 5.0
  • Evernote version 7.0.4.1 updated may 12
  • on verizon 
I've not had issues using the camera (camera app) outside of Evernote.  Taking a picture with the camera then attaching the image to a note works without issue.

I'll be submitting a ticket with support but wanted to post here in case there is someone else in this situation (you're not alone).

• 1 year later...

I just lost 20 minutes of writing because I wanted to add a picture to the note. Very annoying. I use a Samsung A4 (SM-A4500FU) with Android 5.0.2. Multi picture is on in the settings. How can Evernote allow such a bug for such a long time? I will not use this function again. 

• Level 5*
4 hours ago, evermich said:

I just lost 20 minutes of writing because I wanted to add a picture to the note. Very annoying. I use a Samsung A4 (SM-A4500FU) with Android 5.0.2. Multi picture is on in the settings. How can Evernote allow such a bug for such a long time? I will not use this function again. 

I believe the latest public release contained camera fixes,  and the current beta might add more...  and intermittent,  or device-specific bugs are very difficult to find and fix if they come up.  I've had no problem with the camera on Samsung devices for ages.

Archived