Mac Evernote client 'Search with Google' ignores preferred browser

MattTaylor

Idea

Whenever I do a 'Search with Google' evernote insists on loading Safari.  The preferences in Safari clearly show that my 'Default web browser' is the 'Google Chrome.app'. Chrome preferences show that it believes it is the default browser.

All my other applications launch Chrome when performing a web action. The fault is clearly with Evernote.

Web searches so far have failed to find any answer.

Is there a hidden setting in evernote to respect the preferred browser choice?

If there isn't, is there a work around?

I'm using v5.5.1 of the evernote client on Mac OSX v10.9.4

I've lived with is problem for a while now, hoping for it to magically fix itself in the next update. My patience/laziness is now at at end. :)

3 replies to this idea

• Level 5

Whenever I do a 'Search with Google' evernote insists on loading Safari.  The preferences in Safari clearly show that my 'Default web browser' is the 'Google Chrome.app'. Chrome preferences show that it believes it is the default browser.

All my other applications launch Chrome when performing a web action. The fault is clearly with Evernote.

The Search with Google context menu comes from Apple, not Evernote. Try the following:

1. Launch TextEdit
  2. Type some text
  3. Ctrl-Click on a word
  4. Select Search with Google

I think you’ll find it also opens in Safari.

http://stackoverflow.com/questions/17935301/how-to-force-mac-os-to-open-search-with-google-in-chrome

• Level 5*

The Search with Google context menu comes from Apple, not Evernote. 

Good point Adjusting.

But I have a question for you.  Is it not correct that the app developer may add to the Context Menu?

If so, then couldn't Evernote add a menu item for "Search with Google in default browser" ?

The Search with Google context menu comes from Apple, not Evernote. Try the following:

1. Launch TextEdit
  2. Type some text
  3. Ctrl-Click on a word
  4. Select Search with Google

I think you’ll find it also opens in Safari.

http://stackoverflow.com/questions/17935301/how-to-force-mac-os-to-open-search-with-google-in-chrome

I'll be damned you are correct!  Thanks for pointing me in the right direction. Very bad behavior on Apple's side.

For others who follow here are the steps I followed to get the search I wanted:

1. Create this automation:

http://superuser.com/questions/369934/mac-os-x-lion-chrome-shortcut-for-search-with-google

2. Now a new item will be located under 'Services' (bottom most context menu item) that does the search correctly.

Archived